Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some help on suburbs in Brisbane please

Some help on suburbs in Brisbane please

Old May 23rd 2007, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice
Default Re: Some help on suburbs in Brisbane please

Originally Posted by fiona021
Thanks for that. Quite sold on Graceville and Sherwood. Slightly pricey but everywhere is. May rent out there and get a feel for the place. My little girl is four so she can't wait to start school. Maybe she'll see your son there.
It's hard trying to find the right house, school, right distance to work etc etc so cheers again.
Look at where you get a house in either Graceville or sherwood, there is the resonable but still exspensive side then you have the high side and its realy exspensive. but both lovely areas and so near CBD and on the train line.

We have choosen Cleveland or Ormiston as they are giving you more for your money land and house size is better but you do have a 50 minut train ride into CBD

Maybee you should look at Balimba, Norman Park, Coorparoo, morningside or even east Brisbane. I have friends in Brisbane who would love these areas and all on the train.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

knoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue2
Hiya

Do a search on John&Netta they live in Brisbane, Netta does really helpful posts on the surrounding areas, especially when they first moved over.

All the best with the move

Sue x
Hi Sue just been looking @ Nettas old post thanks for highlighting them very good posts.
We have just changed our minds from Perth to Brisbane so these posts were very informative.

Thanks Frank
Old May 26th 2007, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

We live west of Brisbane in Dinmore, which is the Brisbane side of Ipswich. The rail line runs though our suburb and is a 6 minute walk from our house, which means we only ever needed one car...it was also good when the lads got old enough to go out alone, but too young to drive.

Most people wouldn't dream of driving into the CBD unless they absolutely have to, such as needing the car for work. Most drive to a convenient station and get the train - our suburban electric trains are excellent.

My son teaches at a local co-ed catholic high school (St Peter Claver College). The fees are very low - all in all it isn't much dearer than a state school, very affordable, and it has a lovely atmosphere for the kids. They don't push religion either - many pupils are not catholic. He lives at Sherwood and loves it there: his rented two bedroom modern flat costs A$225 a week.

I find shopping easy here - we just go to Redbank Plaza, a standard purpose built air-conditioned shipping centre, with some government offices, Doctors, post office, all the usual shops. Most suburbs have easy access to such a centre, some, such as Toowong, accessible by train, in that the station is part of the complex.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

stubbieholder31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, :
can anyone tell me the names of some nice suburbs within 10 mins walk of the beach in/around Brisbane please.
When I say nice I mean good schools, decent housing etc.........
Cheers,

Mike
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubbieholder31
Hi there, :
can anyone tell me the names of some nice suburbs within 10 mins walk of the beach in/around Brisbane please.
When I say nice I mean good schools, decent housing etc.........
Cheers,

Mike

There are no beaches in Brisbane.

G
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:57 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Nerine,

BSHS Regularly ranks as THE top state school in Brisbane along with:

Kelvin Grove State High
Kenmore State High
The Gap State High
Indooroopilly State High

Of course stats arent everything but in the absence of other data to go on its a start:
http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/yrs11_12/s...comes-2006.pdf

Look at the % of students getting OP1-15. These high ranking state schools do as well as many of the private schools around and are only beaten by the uber-exclusive ($12K a yr schools like Grammar, BBC, SPLC)

Last edited by DadAgain; Jul 11th 2007 at 4:03 am.