Reload this Page >

Some help on suburbs in Brisbane please

Some help on suburbs in Brisbane please

Old May 22nd 2007, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

fiona021 will become famous soon enoughfiona021 will become famous soon enough
Default Some help on suburbs in Brisbane please

Hi,

Moving over in July and realestate.com and ourbrisbane.com has been our bible but still unsure where to live. Can get a feel for the place with these sites but would appreciate someone's honest opinions of the places. Going to get a short term rental approx 4-6 weeks when we arrive but unsure as where to go after that. Realise we need to check the place out for ourselves but would like to narrow it down about to a few suburbs.

Looked at Morningside, Wynnum, Toowong, Hendra etc. Any comments or feedback appreciated. Roughly how long is the commute by car to the CBD from these places in rush hour traffic. Just looking for a family friendly place with lots going on around. Nice parks and cafes etc. Would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:54 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some help on suburbs in Brisbane please

Originally Posted by fiona021
Hi,

Moving over in July and realestate.com and ourbrisbane.com has been our bible but still unsure where to live. Can get a feel for the place with these sites but would appreciate someone's honest opinions of the places. Going to get a short term rental approx 4-6 weeks when we arrive but unsure as where to go after that. Realise we need to check the place out for ourselves but would like to narrow it down about to a few suburbs.

Looked at Morningside, Wynnum, Toowong, Hendra etc. Any comments or feedback appreciated. Roughly how long is the commute by car to the CBD from these places in rush hour traffic. Just looking for a family friendly place with lots going on around. Nice parks and cafes etc. Would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

Hi we're in Manly West next to Wynnum. On train line so can avoid car into CBD. Takes about 40 mins to get there. Esplanade with a village feel in Manly. Some cafes, restraunts and pub. Parks for the kids and self sufficient in the surrounding area. House prices a bit high but there are areas just surrounding that are a bit cheaper.

Cheers

Ginny
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. My head is bursting trying to decide where to live. Are the schools good there too?
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:06 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. My head is bursting trying to decide where to live. Are the schools good there too?

There's a good choice of public and private schools in and around the area. There's also Birkdale, Wellington Point which is on the train line. I know what you mean about bursting.

Cheers
Ginny
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Okay another place to check out and see if we can afford it and have a wee look at the schools. Looking forward to being able to relax in a new house instead of limbo land. At least you don't have that bother anymore. But I guess something else to do about always takes it's place.

Thanks for your help
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:28 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Okay another place to check out and see if we can afford it and have a wee look at the schools. Looking forward to being able to relax in a new house instead of limbo land. At least you don't have that bother anymore. But I guess something else to do about always takes it's place.

Thanks for your help
I don't know about that. We thought we'd researched totally and were prepared. Came out and have found it really tough. Still undecided whether it's here or UK....So still in Limbo land in a way.

Cheers

Ginny
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers
Hiya

Do a search on John&Netta they live in Brisbane, Netta does really helpful posts on the surrounding areas, especially when they first moved over.

All the best with the move

Sue x
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Well I've never been to Australiabut my OH has about three times. I am a wee bit unsure about going. Like my nights out with friends, good job, family etc but the kids are young enough to do it now and feel if we left it later then it would be too late.

I'm sorry you find it tough. Must be rotten but at least you had the guts to do it and move away. I keep wondering whether I'll feel the same and settle in well. I'm from Scotland too so it would be nice to have a change of scenery but i don't know if it'll be forever. All the best whatever you do!

Fiona

Thanks Sue. I'll do a search on John and Netta too.
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:19 pm
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

I'd question if you should drive into the CDB rather than use the train.

Especially from Toowong. Toowong has a decent(ish) shopping centre, and is close enough to places like Rosalie for some nightlife plus some pubs like the Regatta. Quite a few blocks of flats/units around there, so quite a few students, especially studying English as a foreign language.

No idea about schools and so on. There are a few parks away from the shops it is really quiet at the weekends.
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:49 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

check out ourbrisbane for more detailed info on suburbs.

Toowong - definitely get the train to the CBD if you can - takes about 10 - 12 mins. Driving could take from 10 - 40 mins, depending where in the CBD you are trying to get to and what time you leave. Toowong has some good schools and is home to some of the more prestigious (ie expensive) private schools. Reasonable shopping centre, but I'd go 5 mins down the road to shop at Indooroopilly.

We live in Sherwood - about 8 mins further west from Toowong. 11ks to the CBD. About 15 - 18 mins on the train to the CBD. Probably 30 - 40 mins in rush hour traffic, but 15 mins otherwise. It is a great area - loads of parks, some nice restaurants and great schools. I've lived all over Brisbane (I think about 12 suburbs at last count) and this is definitely one of the best (at least this point of my life with a young child). Not the place if you're after a heaving nightlife, but that's what a $15 cab ride to the city is for

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

I lived in Morningside for 7 months. Lovely, leafy area but on the flight path to the airport so a bit noisy, especially tea time on a Friday night! Can't help about schools as eldest is at Uni and youngest at Brisbane State High. Are you looking for primary school or high school?
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Looking for primary schools. Little one is going to start in January so it gives us time to decide where to settle down. Would ideally like to buy as soon as and get back on the property market. Under a flight path here so I don't think it will bother us too much.

Just had a look at Sherwood and that seems very nice. Liked the look of Chermside as well. My OH has to take the car to work so can't always get the train unfortunately. Can't afford private schooling so that is out the window.

Thanks for all your replies. It has given me even more to consider before I get there in July. We moved house every year here for the last four years and I just need somewhere to settle at last.

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:22 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Hi - just to let you know, Sherwood State School is excellent. Our son will attend there (once he's old enough) and I have friends with children there who are all very very pleased with the school, its staff and facilities.
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. Quite sold on Graceville and Sherwood. Slightly pricey but everywhere is. May rent out there and get a feel for the place. My little girl is four so she can't wait to start school. Maybe she'll see your son there.
It's hard trying to find the right house, school, right distance to work etc etc so cheers again.
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:51 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
I lived in Morningside for 7 months. Lovely, leafy area but on the flight path to the airport so a bit noisy, especially tea time on a Friday night! Can't help about schools as eldest is at Uni and youngest at Brisbane State High. Are you looking for primary school or high school?
Hi, what's your opinion of BSHS please? it's on my list of possible high schools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.