Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some help please - Connolly

Some help please - Connolly

Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future
Default Some help please - Connolly

We're leaving the UK on the 12th Jan and we've got to still find jobs and somewhere to live, as well as the removal people coming tomorrow and trying to still keep myself in a job over here (as you can tell, my head is slightly mashed). Got two video conference interviews tomorrow as well.

We've been offered a rental in Connolly, but didn't visit there when we were over last year. Would some kind soul please save me a lot of time and tell me a bit about Connolly and what schools and nurseries our kids would go to - ages 10, 4 and 2 and if they're any good?

Is there much bother, kids hanging around etc?

Thanks in advance.

Mr Knackered.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some help please - Connolly

Originally Posted by lastone
We're leaving the UK on the 12th Jan and we've got to still find jobs and somewhere to live, as well as the removal people coming tomorrow and trying to still keep myself in a job over here (as you can tell, my head is slightly mashed). Got two video conference interviews tomorrow as well.

We've been offered a rental in Connolly, but didn't visit there when we were over last year. Would some kind soul please save me a lot of time and tell me a bit about Connolly and what schools and nurseries our kids would go to - ages 10, 4 and 2 and if they're any good?

Is there much bother, kids hanging around etc?

Thanks in advance.

Mr Knackered.
Hello Mr Knackered

I live in Connolly and have done for the past 2 years. It is an established suburb which means older housing but is very green with lots of trees due to the Joondalup Resort and Golf Club which sits right in the middle. The primary school (of which I am the P&C Secretary) is excellent, I have no complaints whatsoever. My daughter is 10 and in year 5 and this is her second primary in Perth and it is streets ahead of her previous one. http://www.connollyps.det.wa.edu.au/index1024x768.htm It isn't the best website in the world but should give you an idea.

High schools are a different kettle of fish and dependent on which side of Connolly you live in you fall into different catchment. The left side of the golf course go to Ocean Reef SHS (not too bad) and the right go to Belridge (an absolute NO NO). To be honest secondary education generally isn't good up here unless you go private or live somewhere like Churchlands, Shenton Park or Rossmoyne (very expensive!) Plenty of playgroups and daycares in surrounding suburbs (deffo need a car) and your 4 year old would likely be in Kindy or Pre primary. Not compulsory so may not get a place at Connolly (or other suburbs) as enrollment was in August. If you are in catchment for Connolly they will take your 10 year old for sure.

The suburb has a little shopping centre with IGA, chemist, bakers, bottle shop, hairdressers, chippy, chinese, thai and pizza shop. There is an excellent restaurant and pub at the Joondalup Resort. Short drive to Joondalup for shops, restaurants, public transport etc. Short drive to beach and about 20 mins to city offpeak on the freeway.

In short I love where I live.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lived by the Joondalup golf course, very nice.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northernbird
Hello Mr Knackered

I live in Connolly and have done for the past 2 years. It is an established suburb which means older housing but is very green with lots of trees due to the Joondalup Resort and Golf Club which sits right in the middle. The primary school (of which I am the P&C Secretary) is excellent, I have no complaints whatsoever. My daughter is 10 and in year 5 and this is her second primary in Perth and it is streets ahead of her previous one. http://www.connollyps.det.wa.edu.au/index1024x768.htm It isn't the best website in the world but should give you an idea.

High schools are a different kettle of fish and dependent on which side of Connolly you live in you fall into different catchment. The left side of the golf course go to Ocean Reef SHS (not too bad) and the right go to Belridge (an absolute NO NO). To be honest secondary education generally isn't good up here unless you go private or live somewhere like Churchlands, Shenton Park or Rossmoyne (very expensive!) Plenty of playgroups and daycares in surrounding suburbs (deffo need a car) and your 4 year old would likely be in Kindy or Pre primary. Not compulsory so may not get a place at Connolly (or other suburbs) as enrollment was in August. If you are in catchment for Connolly they will take your 10 year old for sure.

The suburb has a little shopping centre with IGA, chemist, bakers, bottle shop, hairdressers, chippy, chinese, thai and pizza shop. There is an excellent restaurant and pub at the Joondalup Resort. Short drive to Joondalup for shops, restaurants, public transport etc. Short drive to beach and about 20 mins to city offpeak on the freeway.

In short I love where I live.
The house we're looking at is in between Huntingdale Pk and Michaels Park, after he's been in y5 it sounds like he'll go to Belridge (is that right if he's 11 in December - getting confused now). We only want to be there a year so if he's in primary school that's fine.

Have to say I thought Ocean Reef would have been better than that, which high schools in the northern suburbs come out best then? We've got a place for him at St Marks starting in year 8, but don't want him to suffer before he gets there.

Thanks for the info Mrs Bird.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

The house we're looking at is in between Huntingdale Pk and Michaels Park, after he's been in y5 it sounds like he'll go to Belridge (is that right if he's 11 in December - getting confused now). We only want to be there a year so if he's in primary school that's fine.

Have to say I thought Ocean Reef would have been better than that, which high schools in the northern suburbs come out best then? We've got a place for him at St Marks starting in year 8, but don't want him to suffer before he gets there.

Thanks for the info Mrs Bird.
Sounds like it is very close to where I am, I am on Huntingdale Crescent. Kids go to high school in year 8 so a few years away yet and if you have a year 8 place at St Marks then Connolly PS is perfect for the interim.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Sounds like it is very close to where I am, I am on Huntingdale Crescent. Kids go to high school in year 8 so a few years away yet and if you have a year 8 place at St Marks then Connolly PS is perfect for the interim.

Yes it is close, it's actually in Green Close.

Saying you're 'spreading the knowledge', this house has a salt water pool, is that any better/worse than a normal pool?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

Yes it is close, it's actually in Green Close.

Saying you're 'spreading the knowledge', this house has a salt water pool, is that any better/worse than a normal pool?
Ours is salt water and we have no bother with it. Salt water is the norm as far as I know.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Ours is salt water and we have no bother with it. Salt water is the norm as far as I know.
Oh, I thought chlorinated type pools were more common. Thanks for the info, it's been very helpful.

One last question and I know that this has probably been covered elsewhere, but are the kindy's expensive or part state funded etc?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:30 am
Gutter Gob!!

Oh, I thought chlorinated type pools were more common. Thanks for the info, it's been very helpful.

One last question and I know that this has probably been covered elsewhere, but are the kindy's expensive or part state funded etc?
when they say salt water they mean salt water chlorinated. We put salt in our pool and the chlorinator turns it into chlorine (I think that is how it works). Some pools you just add chlorine to the water.

Kindy at state schools is state funded. You will pay the usual school contributions (voluntary) which is $45 per child at Connolly. Kindy last year asked for an additional $30 towards equipment.

If you need any further info about Connolly just let me know. I can't speak highly enough about the suburb or our school.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

You have a PM, Mrs Bird
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you have a job that's fine.

People prefer the east coast as there are plenty more job opportunities here.

WA is known for Mining although they have BankWest there (taken over by CBA now and a bit uncertainty there)

I would want to live somewhere where I know if I lose my job, I have a good chance to get another one sooner than later.

I have been to Perth a few times (mind you short business trips) and it's small in comparision to say Sydney/Melbounre. I take it that job opps are lesser as well..

Just my 2 cents worth....
Old Oct 16th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah we've done all that research and yes there are less jobs. We've got a couple of video conf interviews lined up. There are probably less jobs here for us than in WA!!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Cool - all the best. I was not trying to be negative....
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by E3only
Cool - all the best. I was not trying to be negative....

I didn't think you were