Solving the Sydney Commuting Puzzle

Solving the Sydney Commuting Puzzle

Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:27 am
Just Joined

temp444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Solving the Sydney Commuting Puzzle

Hi All,

First time poster, long-time reader

I've moving to Sydney for work and would like to live in Northern Beaches (mostly likely Avalon). Leave home 6:30am ... leave work 6:30pm.

BUT ... what is the most optimal commute option??
1. Drive Avalon to Manly (~50 mins) + Manly Fast Ferry (~20 mins)
2. Drive Avalon to Sydney (~70-75 mins)
3. Motorbike?

I did work in Sydney for 2 years (1999-2000) ... lived in Double Bay first, then Pitt Street. Want to be further away from all the pollution & noise

Any advice, comments or laughter appreciated!
David
Old Sep 26th 2010, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solving the Sydney Commuting Puzzle

I don't live as far north as Avalon but I do live in Northern Beaches and work in Sydney. We get a bus in the morning at about 6.30am and in the evening get one home at around 6pm. No problem whatsoever, about 45 minutes each way for us in Collaroy.

We can walk to the bus stop very easily so we are not bothered about trying out other routes which involve driving first. We have no interest in driving as the normal traffic lanes are pretty busy even at that time in the morning and definitely in the evening, at least the bus can use bus lanes.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

I would suggest the bus or motorbike. Only drive if there are 3 of you in the car so you can use the T3. Parking in Manly is a nightmare also.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Just regarding the Manly ferry.

There are a group of workers in Manly that are called the 'go slow' group I believe.

There are two options from the ferry wharf at Manly, the traditional Manly ferry or the very quick large power boat (not sure what the correct technical name for this type of boat is).

The Manly ferry takes much longer then the other option but this group deliberately take this option as it goes slowly up the harbour. When the jet boat takes over them they all stand up and turn their backs on it

I hope these guys are still going these days as I really like the idea of this and I would join them
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:53 am
Just Joined

temp444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou everyone for your answers, very much appreciated
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:05 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

If there is an express bus, I'd take that. At least on the bus you can drink coffee, snooze, type on a laptop, read a Kindle, watch videos on an iPod etc... (well, I suppose you could also do all of those things while driving but I don't want to share the road with you in that case! )

Motorbike could be a flexible option to have but wouldn't you be soaking in sweat by the time you got to the other end in summer?