Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Solicitors in Cleveland area? help anyone?

Solicitors in Cleveland area? help anyone?

Old Oct 1st 2006, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Solicitors in Cleveland area? help anyone?

Hi there everyone
The offer on the house in Cleveland was accepted and the estate agent is meeting me tommorow to get me to sign the final draft of the contract. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment, we are coming into our 4th week here, the boyfriend has gone home and I am left with my daughters feeling completely out of my depth. I'm now wondering what the fxxk I am doing buying a house so soon but I know its a good investment as the money is better sat in a house than in the bank and I keep on telling myself that! I have gone with an independant financial advisor recommended by LJ Hooker in Cleveland and am now being recommended a solicitor by the agent selling me the house. Something tells me I should be looking for someone completely independent from the agent, so if anyone has any experience of buying a house and has someone good they could put me in touch with, I would be really grateful. At the moment I feel so open to being taken advantage of as I really am relying on people being honest, something I would never do back in the UK!
Kelly x
Old Oct 1st 2006, 5:34 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solicitors in Cleveland area? help anyone?

Hi kelly

Are you sure you need a solicitor,if its just a straight forward contract you only need a conveyancing company.

we used conveyancing works with no problems

www.conveyancingworks.com.au
Old Oct 1st 2006, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Hi there everyone
The offer on the house in Cleveland was accepted and the estate agent is meeting me tommorow to get me to sign the final draft of the contract. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment, we are coming into our 4th week here, the boyfriend has gone home and I am left with my daughters feeling completely out of my depth. I'm now wondering what the fxxk I am doing buying a house so soon but I know its a good investment as the money is better sat in a house than in the bank and I keep on telling myself that! I have gone with an independant financial advisor recommended by LJ Hooker in Cleveland and am now being recommended a solicitor by the agent selling me the house. Something tells me I should be looking for someone completely independent from the agent, so if anyone has any experience of buying a house and has someone good they could put me in touch with, I would be really grateful. At the moment I feel so open to being taken advantage of as I really am relying on people being honest, something I would never do back in the UK!
Kelly x
Hi Kelly,

If at all possible, don't sign the contract until you've spoken to a solicitor, especially when your partner's away and you need to do things on your own. Don't feel pressured into signing anything even if the real estate agent says you have to sign to secure the house tomorrow morning.

We've used a couple of solicitors in Cleveland who are both okay:

Ron Sherman
Suite 28 Cleveland House Queen St Cnr Bloomfield St Cleveland QLD 4163
ph: (07) 3821 2766

and

GM Lawyers
Unit 3 147 Queen St Cleveland QLD 4163
ph: (07) 3286 5711

We prefer Ron Sherman as they followed through things more thoroughly and were in touch with us more often during the process. The charges are similar although I can't remember off the top of my head how much.

Good luck,
Mrs JTL
Old Oct 1st 2006, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Hi there everyone
Kelly x
Try
Diane Edwards in Middle Street. Opposite the RSL.

WW
Old Oct 1st 2006, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. How much should I be charged roughly you reckon?
Old Oct 1st 2006, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

I think it was around $600 + all the searches and stuff....I went with Ron Sherman and would never use again I was inside the house 1/2 way through moving my stuff in before they decided to call and tell me it was a done deal , I only heard coz they told the real estate agent
Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Have you organised your OWN building inspection and seperate pest inspection?

WW
Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Have you organised your OWN building inspection and seperate pest inspection?

WW
No, I was going to ask the solicitor to arrange it. Should I find my own?
Old Oct 1st 2006, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Should I find my own?
Oh yeah!

WW
Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We have just used Brian Shepherdson in Wellington Point for our land purchase and they were really on the ball, would definitely recommend them.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mand8002
We have just used Brian Shepherdson in Wellington Point for our land purchase and they were really on the ball, would definitely recommend them.
i'VE ADDED him to my list and will call all of them first thing in the morning.
WW: I will have a look in the local paper tomm, thanks :-)
Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

i'VE ADDED him to my list and will call all of them first thing in the morning.
WW: I will have a look in the local paper tomm, thanks :-)
These guys were really good for pest and building

Queenslandwide house and building reports /tko pest reports

Tel: 136 236

Pest and building report $390 as of 11/01/06

Hope this helps

Martin