Solar Power

Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Solar Power

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
That off peak usage is all well and good, but it's only 11pm till 7am in Vic AFAIK... who would use real power then ?
Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I have the T3 (think it's called) tariff which only supplies the hot water. Out of that $770 I think my hot water totalled $86, which for 4 adults bath or showering daily we're happy with ...
Maybe the 'T3' is a QLD thing, but this is the 11pm - 7am off peak rate.

As I said mine is solely used for the hot water, and works very well ...

Still can't work out how I have hot water at 9pm and beyond when the actual heating of the water stopped 14 or so hours ago! ...

Still, won't complain as like I say it works well in this house.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Didnt read this before I posted... blimey you will make money !!

Can you actually receive a cash rebate from doing this ?
Yes, just request it each year, either cheque or direct payment to the bank
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robert cowan
We can run the pool pump at night and do all the washing at weekend too.
I'm right in thinking with these off peak tariffs you have to have the service permanently connected? I seem to recall the Energex guy telling me this, but haven't confirmed it. Possibly QLD only too, but don't know.

I really should have the pool pump running at night tho!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

That off peak usage is all well and good, but it's only 11pm till 7am in Vic AFAIK... who would use real power then ? The evening usage when people come home from work would negate the savings in most cases.

I think those expansive peak times are the big killer for the Solar rebate from my point of view.
Here are four Vic . Solar PV with quite good payback
Note the credit earned

http://www.pvoutput.org/aggregate.js...64&sid=827&t=m

http://www.pvoutput.org/aggregate.js...15&sid=400&t=m

facing west not the best
http:
//www.pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=248&sid=224&t=m

bigger is best
http://www.pvoutput.org/aggregate.js...54&sid=426&t=m
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

I'm right in thinking with these off peak tariffs you have to have the service permanently connected? I seem to recall the Energex guy telling me this, but haven't confirmed it. Possibly QLD only too, but don't know.

I really should have the pool pump running at night tho!
Not sure what you're meaning, but you will be charged off peak rates at off peak times and we will be looking at 11 cents per kwh off peak and around 24 peak when we eventually get the smart meter, until then the meter runs backwards amazingly fast when the sun is out
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

Not sure what you're meaning, but you will be charged off peak rates at off peak times and we will be looking at 11 cents per kwh off peak and around 24 peak when we eventually get the smart meter, until then the meter runs backwards amazingly fast when the sun is out
Super Economy Plan - Tariff 31

The Super Economy Plan is the cheapest tariff available for water heating. This is because the electricity supply is available only at low electricity-demand periods, such as at night when generators would otherwise be idle.

Electricity supply is made available for a minimum of eight hours per day at times set by the network owner (ENERGEX) at their discretion, generally between the hours of 10pm and 7am . On some days electricity supply may not be turned off at all. This tariff is about 59% cheaper than your normal domestic tariff.

It is designed for storage water heaters and permanently connected heat banks. It can also be used to boost a solar hot water heater.

http://www.originenergy.com.au/2087/...ty-tariffs-QLD

When I had my meter changed the Energex guy said you can run what you like from it, but it HAS to be permanently connected.

Dunno if true tho.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Altho after reading my own link, I think it's the T33 one you can connect your pool pump and stuff.

18 hours a day at 11cKWh compared to the 19cKWh I pay for the 'normal' tariff has to be looked into I think.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:15 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Solar Hart quoted 9k for a 3 system that would be seemingly appropritae for our hosue -ie unaffordable....plus the salesman was not good.
Shelved
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:37 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Solar Power

24 peak is pretty good mate - 30.92 with Tru energy

BB
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:02 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

That off peak usage is all well and good, but it's only 11pm till 7am in Vic AFAIK... who would use real power then ? The evening usage when people come home from work would negate the savings in most cases.
I doubt it. Think about it for a minute. Dependent on who you are with as a power provider, for every kW you send back to the grid during peak time you will get paid anywhere between 50 and 60c. If you pull that same power from the grid you are paying anywhere between 20 and 32c.

As for who would use power during this time? I've just got back from visiting properties out in Western QLD and you would be amazed at the amount of people currently running their pool pumps during peak periods instead of the off peak period. A pool pump is a really heavy consumer of power. Add to that the number of electric hot water systems that are heating during the day then yes you can make a significant saving. While I was in Toowoomba in one day I saw two households with exactly the same kWh usage power bill. However one household was paying $230 per quarter and the other $150 per quarter. They were on the same tariffs and the only difference I could tell was their usage habits. The more expensive of the two households was rarely using any off peak power and approx 90% of it was peak power. The other household had a nice 50/50 split of off peak and peak usage.

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Mar 31st 2011 at 9:35 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:06 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno if true tho.
yeah, I'm pretty sure that is bollocks. Maybe what he said was misconstrued?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:08 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Can anyone advise where to start? ...

Last bill was $770 and on the Origin bill it states on the front my daily average is 37.3KWh.

I have the T3 (think it's called) tariff which only supplies the hot water. Out of that $770 I think my hot water totalled $86, which for 4 adults bath or showering daily we're happy with ...

But! ... have been meaning to get Solar, but haven't a clue where to start, what size, and will it even be worth it as my garden faces North and I back onto bush. In the Winter I think the sun's only on the roof for a few hours midday. I'd like to check 100% this Winter to be sure, but with the rebate ending soon, I don't have time to play with ...

I'm 30k's south from Brisbane, so hoping Mr Broad can shed some light if he could be so kind?

Thanks in advance.
Shoot me a PM when you have a moment and if you can a screenshot of your property from Nearmap.com, that will give me enough first up
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Shoot me a PM when you have a moment and if you can a screenshot of your property from Nearmap.com, that will give me enough first up
on it now ... thanks ...

PM sent

Last edited by PaulandNic; Apr 1st 2011 at 2:09 am.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
24 peak is pretty good mate - 30.92 with Tru energy

BB
Sorry, made a mistake, you are right BB, 30.92 peak, 12.31 off peak with Tru energy. Best offer so far
Old Apr 1st 2011, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Super Economy Plan - Tariff 31

The Super Economy Plan is the cheapest tariff available for water heating. This is because the electricity supply is available only at low electricity-demand periods, such as at night when generators would otherwise be idle.

Electricity supply is made available for a minimum of eight hours per day at times set by the network owner (ENERGEX) at their discretion, generally between the hours of 10pm and 7am . On some days electricity supply may not be turned off at all. This tariff is about 59% cheaper than your normal domestic tariff.

It is designed for storage water heaters and permanently connected heat banks. It can also be used to boost a solar hot water heater.

http://www.originenergy.com.au/2087/...ty-tariffs-QLD

When I had my meter changed the Energex guy said you can run what you like from it, but it HAS to be permanently connected.

Dunno if true tho.
We don't have electric water heater, we have solar gas hot water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.