Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Old Sep 5th 2010, 2:18 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Interesting ruling from the ATO recently.

Anyone setting up solar with the intention of making a profit, may be liable to tax on that profit.

Old Sep 5th 2010, 2:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Anyone setting up solar with the intention of making a profit, may be liable to tax on that profit.
But it would take forever (not quite but ykwim) to turn a profit and how the hell do they prove intent?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 2:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

When would profit kick in though?

Would it be after the initial capital investment had been repaid, or would it be on any income derived from the system?

I guess that also, if they are going to want to tax any income from your solar set up, then the initial outlay may also be tax deductible, given that it was a necessary outlay to get you into business in the first place? Plus you could then start depreciating the value of your panels, wring, maintenance costs etc...

S

S
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:08 am
ABCDiamond

There is a private ruling on this, but I have only heard snippets.

Could get scary though: you install loads of panels on the house, claim all costs as a deduction against income, then when you sell the house..... The tax man says it is part of the business of producing electricity, and wants capital gains tax on it ??

Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Need some help.

I am about to start a new job next week working in Marketing for a solar energy company. My job will be to tailor the company's message and appeal to customers (residential and commercial).

So far, everyone I have spoken to on the residential front (ie: friends and ex-colleagues) have all been very interested in taking up the technology however they all seem to have one or two reservations about it.

I am really interested in getting feedback from the forum on people who have considered it or even thought about adopting solar energy on their homes.
    Thanks for this thread BS. I think a lot of people are interested but it just seems to good to be true with the rebates etc. A lot of the adverts "$1500 this week only" etc puts most people off the idea (Snakeoil salesmen).

When you say that your looking at the marketing I think like most things "one size fits all" won't work. You've got the greenies who love the saving of the envionment on one side and on the other those unconvinced/hostile to the global warming debate. Guess which side I'm on If I can get almost free electricity I'm in.

There's been some good links on this thread (whirlpool especialy) to help everyone with their research.

Keel
    Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:41 am
    I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

It comes down to how that income is received. If it is done through an offset whereby your power company takes the amount off your usage (ie: the gross feed in system currently being used in NSW and likely to be canned very soon in favour of the Net feed in adopted by most other states) then this does not apply. If you are receiving external payments from the power company outside or in surplus to your bill then yes you are eligible, however it is viewed upon as a benefit payment (like from Centrelink) than it is a direct income.
    Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:44 am
    I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I found the best all-in-one document that covers most questions people have. It's long but it's the best "dummies guide" to solar energy in Australia. It goes a long way to help understand the whole rebates thing.

http://www.cleanenergycouncil.org.au...er-guide/Solar PV Consumer Guide Vol3 2 Sept 2010.pdf
    Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:22 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
    A country like Australia is incredibly well placed for solar power - but I don't think it's economic to have tiny units on houses, all relying on huge subsidies to exist. It's pink batts all over again.
    Yup

Originally Posted by Centurion
    I'd go with that. I think the technology needs to come on further.
    Yup
    Any product won't take off until it is better or easier for the consumer than the current alternative. IMO the current solar power options in Aus is just not quite there yet.
    Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:26 am
    has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
    A country like Australia is incredibly well placed for solar power - but I don't think it's economic to have tiny units on houses, all relying on huge subsidies to exist. It's pink batts all over again.

I missed this earlier, but definitely agree. Large scale investment in large scale solar furnace schemes for bulk generation are what's required here I think.

S
    Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:39 am
    Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
    I missed this earlier, but definitely agree. Large scale investment in large scale solar furnace schemes for bulk generation are what's required here I think.

S
    Surely if it was commercially viable then people would be doing this right now?
    Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:52 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
    Surely if it was commercially viable then people would be doing this right now?
    It should be down to the energy providers to generate "green" electricity, not the individual.
    Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:36 pm
    BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

well if it was a good investment - yes.

Lets say it cost me $2,500 all up and I spend $300 x 4 = $1,200 on elec per year... and if the solar panels would reduce my usage to $0....then yep, I wouldn't hesitate.

But if it cost say $5,000 and my $1,200 expenditure only drops down to $700 per year ($500 saving per year).... I'd probably start questioning if it was a good move.

This kind of thing is a little tricky to convey over the phone !
    My neighbour is living in his shed whilst building his new house. He intends for his house to be the first one rated at EER9. There are coolroom panals inside every wall as insulation. He has installed 50 solar panals on his shed roof to return just under 10Kw of power back to the grid. Todate, his panals have been ready to return power but he has been waiting for over 6 weeks for the electricity company to send their inspector around to give it the all clear. The solar system cost him around the $30K to purchase and install. He is a builder and obtained the panals at a greatly reduced rate.

The question I have to ask is at what price to the environment has this building cost. We live out of town so every concrete truck has to do a round trip of 150 Kms. The amount of concrete and steel that has gone into the place is just unreal. Just what is his carbon footprint todate to enable him to say "my house is the most environment friendly house ever".

Dont get me wrong, I think what he is trying to achieve is just fantastic but sometimes you just have to wonder.

Barney
    Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:30 am
    I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
    2. We have solar water heating and to be honest in winter it's not enough, this winter especially we've had to use the electric pump far more than we should. The panels are on the North East facing roof but even in summer we've had to use the electric pump so I'm not convinced (not checked properly to be honest) how much it would save us.
    Sounds like you were missold this system. It doesn't seem like they took into account how much you use before quoting. This last week I visited a household of 5 people and they have a hot water system, with no pump and they have no issues because they were sold a tailored system that fitted their needs

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
    3. I think we'd need to chop a fair few trees down to get full potential but I still don't think it would give what we need.
    I don't think that would solve the problem. What is your tank size? Brand?
    Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:32 am
    I'm Old Gregg!

well if it was a good investment - yes.

Lets say it cost me $2,500 all up and I spend $300 x 4 = $1,200 on elec per year... and if the solar panels would reduce my usage to $0....then yep, I wouldn't hesitate.

But if it cost say $5,000 and my $1,200 expenditure only drops down to $700 per year ($500 saving per year).... I'd probably start questioning if it was a good move.

This kind of thing is a little tricky to convey over the phone !
    Depending on where you live the average turning a profit system will take between 7 and 9 years. If you are in ACT or NSW, you will get a far quicker return as until the end of this month they have very generous guaranteed gross feed-in tariffs for the next 7 years.
    Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:36 am
    I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Zambia
    I actually am looking into this at present.

In Victoria the rebate are not nearly as good as further North.

I really like the idea of the house paying its way. Heres the thing I dont know if I am going to be in the house 10 years from now. The initial outlay I am looking at could be 10,000 after recs. So if I sell the house will I see that cash again??

For this amount of money I want to be almost eliminating my electricity bill. Which at present runs at 1200 a year roughly. 3K system.

Do I want someone to call around no. I want a place I can go and they will talk me through the process.
    The problem you have is because VIC is in Zone 4 (sunlight energy), which therefore attracts lower REC (Renewable Energy Certificates) and these are what give you the discount.

What's your daily power usage average (should say on your last bill). The average would be approx 17-20kW. If yours falls within that range then a 3kW system will not cover that 100%. You would need to be looking more towards 4kW, possibly 5kW dependent on your environment (roof, trees etc).

Also, Real Estate agents have begun cottoning on to the fact that a solar powered house is worth a lot more and so theoretically it will improve the value.

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Sep 10th 2010 at 8:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.