Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar Energy - Your Opinions

Originally Posted by asprilla
any idea what the Qld limit is? If I can spend $130k and then get back $23k per annum, I'm sure I'm not the only person around here who is interested...

Knowing my luck I'd install it, then we'd have 2 years of cloudy, rainy days...
10kw if single phase, 30kw if three phase.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Yeah, defintely not touting, more looking for feedback on what I can do to improve it. I already have heaps of ideas but I figured that I am just a small demographic of the amount of people looking at the technology.

The company website can be found here
Not studied it from front to back but it looks from quick glance like it has a fair amount of info there, liked the proposal bit. Don't like the picture of the ugly guy looking shocked by the leccy bill.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Sure, would you be happy to invite a consultant into the house to talk through all the steps? I ask this as I know some people can feel wary of having a salesy person come around
In my view a salespersons/installer has to come round because a quote over the phone cannot tell how much about how much you will safe as it all depends on the orientation of the roof, roof space etc.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
In my view a salespersons/installer has to come round because a quote over the phone cannot tell how much about how much you will safe as it all depends on the orientation of the roof, roof space etc.
Most can readily quote of Nearmap
http://www.nearmap.com/
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Need some help.

I am about to start a new job next week working in Marketing for a solar energy company. My job will be to tailor the company's message and appeal to customers (residential and commercial).

So far, everyone I have spoken to on the residential front (ie: friends and ex-colleagues) have all been very interested in taking up the technology however they all seem to have one or two reservations about it.

I am really interested in getting feedback from the forum on people who have considered it or even thought about adopting solar energy on their homes.
    Our experience in Perth. Our system is 13 months old and works very well actually slightly better than expected. In one year we produced ca 1770kWh.

We bought 1kW solar system when the gov had the $8,000 rebate program in place. We received another $840 for RECs. In addition the WA gov pays us $1,624 in total over 3 years (received first payment) because it has promised at some point that the feed-in tariff would be 60cts but later they changed their mind. Since 1. Aug Synergy/Western power together pays 47 cts per kWh guaranteed for 10 years.

We bought a rather expensive system because I wanted panels with an higher output equals less panels and I didn't want a Chinese product.

Another reason was the installer. The differences between companies are huge when it comes to getting a quote or information. I contacted 4 solar panel companies which then forwarded the request to their installer (in some cases). Out of the four, one contacted us within 2 days, one within a week, one after 3 weeks and one never.

I had two guys coming for a quote and that's when it got interesting. The one who responded first came during the day with ALL the information and gear to make a proper quote. He explained why he installs this product and not another brand and why he imports fixing equipment from Germany rather than using the local bits. He went up the ladder to do the shading assessment with a solar pathfinder http://www.solarpathfinder.com/ and took a picture of it. In the evening I had a complete detailed quote which couldn't be done any better.

He installed the system with his electrician within half a day, no props what so ever. A year later he asked how the system works and offered the installation of another 1kW and price x which has come down since we had our system installed.

The second guy who turned up didn't know what he was talking about, waffled on, didn't even know that the rebate system was still in place, tried to push a system that somebody else didn't want any more but had ordered. He became quite agressive and we asked him to leave. Later we heard that he did a similar "presentation" and the people contacted the company to complain about him.

With a 1kW we save between 21cts and 47cts depending if power is used or fed in. If we were not to use any solar power at all, we would receive approx $800/year from feed-in.

The reason for us buying a system has first economical and second evironmental reasons. we would expand the system however believe replacing our windows with double glazed units offers greater benefits.

If you are interested I can pm you our quote.

Last edited by Evelin; Aug 31st 2010 at 3:26 am.
    Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:27 am
    Wol
    Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You will be lucky to get much more than 20% efficiency with today's panels.

Insolation at the equator, with a clean panel at a right angle to the sun, is around 1Kw at midday so you will be talking about say 200w max output per m2.

Dust will reduce this by up to 50%, and, depending on the type of connections, shade can make a dramatic difference even if only part is out of the sun.

To make the most of a panel it needs to track the sun - which means extra expense - considerable extra expense if we are talking multi-panel installations.

Then there's the inverter and control mechanisms - phase matching etc. I can see all sorts of problems with the grid when many more installations, using cheap components, get connected.

A country like Australia is incredibly well placed for solar power - but I don't think it's economic to have tiny units on houses, all relying on huge subsidies to exist. It's pink batts all over again.
    Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:49 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I have deeply considered solar and come to the conclusion that it's a bit like my Prius. A wonderful idea that does save you money, satisfies the eco warrior in me, however the initial capital outlay will never match the savings.

I don't see myself being in this house for more than 5 years and I really don't see it as adding any more on the capital value of my home.

So whilst I'd like to do it, I really don't see how it makes sense. Perhaps I am a poor example though, I work and study at home and there is usually someone here most of the time.
    Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:55 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
    A country like Australia is incredibly well placed for solar power - but I don't think it's economic to have tiny units on houses, all relying on huge subsidies to exist. It's pink batts all over again.
    I'd go with that. I think the technology needs to come on further.

That said, were I to build another home again it would be built to very different specs to this one and have LEDs, proper insulation, double glazing and it would come close to being financially energy neutral I suspect. It's too expensive to consider retrofitting.

Perhaps what needs to happen is more a paradigm shift in the way we actually construct our houses to actually be more energy efficient than putting up some crap foil wrap. Then solar would be viable even now, since your electric bill could be zero'd.
    Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:25 am
    Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Well the quote came in for the house its about 8k for a 4 Kw. Thats 16 panels sitting on the roof + 2 for the solar boosted water already on the roof. 18 Roof panels seems I should not have cared about the choice of Tile. Should make my house interesting on Google earth.

Still undecided...very undecided.

I still from the Quote have no idea what the system will save me.
    Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:50 am
    BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zambia
    Well the quote came in for the house its about 8k for a 4 Kw. Thats 16 panels sitting on the roof + 2 for the solar boosted water already on the roof. 18 Roof panels seems I should not have cared about the choice of Tile. Should make my house interesting on Google earth.

it all depends on your feed-in tariff and the interest you can achieve when depositing your money in the bank.

You although have to think how long will I live in my "solar house", will I get my money back when I sell the other within 5 years.

The reason why soooo many houses have large solar panel systems in Germany on their roof is a) a 20 year guaranteed feed-in tariff and b) interest on bank deposits are very low.
    Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:01 am
    Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
    it all depends on your feed-in tariff and the interest you can achieve when depositing your money in the bank.

You although have to think how long will I live in my "solar house", will I get my money back when I sell the other within 5 years.

The reason why soooo many houses have large solar panel systems in Germany on their roof is a) a 20 year guaranteed feed-in tariff and b) interest on bank deposits are very low.
    interest on bank deposits? how does that come into it?
    Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:04 am
    BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia

Not a lot of Melbourne ones on PV Output
    http://www.pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=161&sid=150

and click* map*
    then click *hybrid*
    Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:05 am
    Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

You're paying out around $8,000 - that will earn you between $300 and $400 a year if you put it in an interest earning account. So if you can't save that much off your electricity bill it isn't worth it.
    Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:28 am
    BE Enthusiast

you have the choice either buy a solar system that costs you x amount of dollars and save x amounts of dollars on your energy bill or you don't buy it and put your money in the bank and earn interest.

In the case of spending $8k for a 4kW system, your max return in WA when your house is facing true north, perfect roof angle, no shade and solar panels that has a high efficiency rate (eg Sunpower) you could earn between $1400 + $3200 per year depending on your own usage.

Alternatively, how much would you earn if you deposited the $8k in an saving account/term deposit? You make more money with solar panels that's why Germans have large solar systems on their roof. It is viable.

Last edited by Evelin; Aug 31st 2010 at 5:55 am.
    Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:33 am
    BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
    You're paying out around $8,000 - that will earn you between $300 and $400 a year if you put it in an interest earning account. So if you can't save that much off your electricity bill it isn't worth it.
    Using Broad Shoulders Co. as a reference for price for QLD
    a 2kWh Solar unit (quality panels and top of the line inverter ) $6400

current usage 20kWh per day @ 21c per unit / kWh =$4.20 / day
    with a 2kWh PV installed
    it makes 10kWh a day (August ) can only get higher.....
    the house uses 4kWh a day
    leaves 6kWh to export @ 44c =$2.64
    at night we buy 10kwh at 21c =$2.10

these figures will keep increasing to approx. 18kWh in Jan.
    looks a no brainer to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.