Reload this Page >

Sofas down under

Sofas down under

Old May 6th 2005, 10:36 am
Are we nearly there yet?

Buzby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sofas down under

Hi everyone,

Our sofa is dying... Whats the gen about taking furniture, would it be cheaper for us to opt for a 2nd hand sofa that will do us here for a couple of years till we move (fingers crossed we get the visa that is). Or invest in a new one that we will then be able to take with us. Any online furniture shops that I can check out in Oz to compare costs?. I know it seems premature but trying to think ahead

I imagine it being quite expensive to ship out heaps of our own stuff. Any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Kerry & Steve
Old May 6th 2005, 11:03 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Sofas down under

Originally Posted by Buzby
Hi everyone,

Our sofa is dying... Whats the gen about taking furniture, would it be cheaper for us to opt for a 2nd hand sofa that will do us here for a couple of years till we move (fingers crossed we get the visa that is). Or invest in a new one that we will then be able to take with us. Any online furniture shops that I can check out in Oz to compare costs?. I know it seems premature but trying to think ahead

I imagine it being quite expensive to ship out heaps of our own stuff. Any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Kerry & Steve
We had a similar sofa 'situation' to you. We dumped ours and have bought 2 leather ones for $3000 from Freedom (up market Ikea!) www.freedom.com.au (I think). we didn't bring any furniture with us and have managed to get a houseful of bargains! great deals on beds and dining table/chairs from factory outlets (not tacky stuff either!)

Phil x
Old May 6th 2005, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sofas down under

I would be tempted to wait until you get to Australia because you don't know what sort of house you will get, how much room there will be, what the colours will be and therefore what sort of furniture would match. It would be awful to pay out several thousand pounds here and then find that it just doesn't suit your new place.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:46 pm
Are we nearly there yet?

Buzby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sofas down under

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
I would be tempted to wait until you get to Australia because you don't know what sort of house you will get, how much room there will be, what the colours will be and therefore what sort of furniture would match. It would be awful to pay out several thousand pounds here and then find that it just doesn't suit your new place.
Good point, thanks Sue