social workers

Old Jan 13th 2007, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all
Default social workers

Social workers, I am looking for advice my son and his wife are emigrating to Perth in june of this year . I would like the following year to go out and join them for at least 1 year . i have a degree in social science with DIPSW . I have worked as a qualified social worker for 15 year . I have worked in child care and have a certificate in child protection studies. Currenly I am working with older people and pysical disabilites . I am also a Senior social worker and manage a team of workers . I am also in the process of completing a qualification in managment studies. Would I be able to obtain work in Australia as a social worker and would I be able to manage a team over there with the experience I have.
Adelle
Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:44 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: social workers

Originally Posted by gordon&laura
Social workers, I am looking for advice my son and his wife are emigrating to Perth in june of this year . I would like the following year to go out and join them for at least 1 year . i have a degree in social science with DIPSW . I have worked as a qualified social worker for 15 year . I have worked in child care and have a certificate in child protection studies. Currenly I am working with older people and pysical disabilites . I am also a Senior social worker and manage a team of workers . I am also in the process of completing a qualification in managment studies. Would I be able to obtain work in Australia as a social worker and would I be able to manage a team over there with the experience I have.
Adelle
You might want to PM kiwi_child, I believe that she is a social worker or in a related profession.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gordon&laura
Adelle

Firstly you would need a visa. This will not be easy if you are over 45. You can not just turn up for a year and work. Tourist visas are available for you to visit but not usually for a year.

You can not work on a tourist visa.

If you are over 45 You may need to be sponsored by an employer and that would depend on whether or not your qualifications are acceptable and if they have a job they are prepared to sponsor you for.

Many people find that their experience counts for very little when they migrate.

I would doubt if you would get a management position without Australian experience and on a temporary visa.

You will just need to check it out with some employers.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 3:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

ps.

I think 'Walla' is a social worker in Perth....he may be able to advise.

G
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:38 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Here is the link for info on AASW and overseas qualifications:
http://www.aasw.asn.au/becomeamember...ed_kingdom.htm

I'm a social work manager in the UK but I am not planning to apply for management jobs when I return to Oz this year. I will eventually once I am familiar with the new legislation, cultural issues etc.

I don't know how easy it is to find work in Perth but if you are eligible for AASW membership you should be fine as long as you can get a visa.

Good luck.

BS