Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So what do you need a licence for?

So what do you need a licence for?

Old May 21st 2009, 11:43 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what do you need a licence for?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Just wondering. People say you need a licence for everything here but I've not got a licence for anything that I didn't need a licence for in the UK. And I don't have a TV licence here.

So what are all these licences that people are getting above and beyond what they used to have in the UK?

Tiling.

You need to be licenced to do tiling work I believe, where back in Blighty you just went to B&Q, bought some tiles, spacers, adhesive and grout and got on with it.

S
Old May 21st 2009, 11:50 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Tiling.

You need to be licenced to do tiling work I believe, where back in Blighty you just went to B&Q, bought some tiles, spacers, adhesive and grout and got on with it.

S
You can do it yourself here.
Old May 21st 2009, 11:53 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it yourself here.

Really? I thought tiling in wet areas had to be done by a licenced tradesperson...

S
Old May 21st 2009, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Really? I thought tiling in wet areas had to be done by a licenced tradesperson...

S
Wet areas may be different. I think you need a licenced sealer but not sure you need a licenced tiler (this might be a state difference). I'm certainly allowed to tile my hall.

As an aside (and you may know this). Tiles are not actually waterproof. Water can travel through the grout. It's the sealing that's important in wet areas.

Last edited by MartinLuther; May 21st 2009 at 12:07 pm.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Tiling.

S
Anyone can do DIY tiling, no licence required. You just nip into Bunnings, buy some tiles, spacers, adhesive and grout and get on with it. Bunnings even do free half hour training sessions at weekends on things like that, for people who don't know where to start. http://www.bunnings.com.au/how-to-la...oor-tiles.aspx

Also Tradespeople can do tiling without a licence, in most States, according to the Australian Government....

Wall and Floor Tiler 4416-11
Job description
Lays ceramic, clay, slate, marble and glass tiles on external and internal walls and floors to provide protective and decorative finishes.

Victoria
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Victoria.

Queensland
Licensing is compulsory in order to carry out or supervise building work over the value of $1100 (including Labour and materials).

South Australia
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in South Australia.

Western Australia
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Western Australia.

Tasmania
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Tasmania.

Northern Territory
Registration is compulsory in order to carry out residential building work over the value of $12,000.

Australian Capital Territory
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in the ACT.

Old May 21st 2009, 12:18 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Anyone can do DIY tiling, no licence required. You just nip into Bunnings, buy some tiles, spacers, adhesive and grout and get on with it. Bunnings even do free half hour training sessions at weekends on things like that, for people who don't know where to start. http://www.bunnings.com.au/how-to-la...oor-tiles.aspx

Also Tradespeople can do tiling without a licence, in most States, according to the Australian Government....

Oh, well, I stand corrected. I honestly thought it required a license. That means I can get on and tile my kitchen myself. I just need to go to Bunnings, buy some tiles, spacers, adhesive and grout and get on with it.

As an aside (and you may know this). Tiles are not actually waterproof. Water can travel through the grout. It's the sealing that's important in wet areas.
Yes, I usually apply a good coating of aqueous bitumen to the site of the tiling. I did all the tiling in my old terrace renovation in Leicester.

What I really need now is to be able to render and plaster. And a droid that understands the language of binary moisture vaporators...

S
Old May 21st 2009, 1:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Oh, well, I stand corrected. I honestly thought it required a license. That means I can get on and tile my kitchen myself. I just need to go to Bunnings, buy some tiles, spacers, adhesive and grout and get on with it.
When you've done yours can you come round and do mine, I don't fancy going on a course to learn the right way to do it

I did notice that many advertisers do say things like "Our XXX are licenced" and that does give the impression that licencing is required, but it is really to get business away from non licenced people.

Eg: a tiler may also be a licenced builder, and can say he is licenced. However, it makes no difference to the tiling side of things...

I suppose technically anyone can say they are licenced, as long as they don't specify what licence they hold.... A drivers licence ?

Old May 21st 2009, 4:07 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Get a good waterproof grout, should do fine
Old May 21st 2009, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

kericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud of

as people say you need a license for everything out here
Old May 21st 2009, 4:46 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by kericare
as people say you need a license for everything out here

But has this thread not demonstrated that such a claim is false?

S
Old May 21st 2009, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

But has this thread not demonstrated that such a claim is false?

S
It seems to. For the most part there seems to be a confusion between licencing and training (i.e. certificates). There also seems to be an ingrained belief as well (like you can't change plugs).

Old May 21st 2009, 5:19 pm
has lost The Game

It seems to. For the most part there seems to be a confusion between licencing and training (i.e. certificates). There also seems to be an ingrained belief as well (like you can't change plugs).

Yes, the whole plugs thing. There is a guy I know who is adamant that you have to be a fully trained sparky to change plugs. I know you can't do it in QLD, but you certainly can in NSW, but he won't listen.

I actually quite like the way that the vocational education system works here - the system of nationally recognised certificates is good, and they have actually put a lot of thought into how the different training packages are put together.

S
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:29 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

In all fairness you may want to have an a spark change your plugs its a crappy pain in the ass job.
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:15 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Wall and Floor Tiler 4416-11
Job description
Lays ceramic, clay, slate, marble and glass tiles on external and internal walls and floors to provide protective and decorative finishes.

Victoria
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Victoria.

Queensland
Licensing is compulsory in order to carry out or supervise building work over the value of $1100 (including Labour and materials).

South Australia
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in South Australia.

Western Australia
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Western Australia.

Tasmania
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Tasmania.

Northern Territory
Registration is compulsory in order to carry out residential building work over the value of $12,000.

Australian Capital Territory
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in the ACT.

ABC, I am guessing you are getting this info from the govt website, sorry if I am wrong but it appears to us to not always to reflect what is happening.

One of my husbands jobs is a boilermaker now he has been offered a fair bit of work in this line, but they withdraw the offer when they find out he has no licences.

According to the govt website and with reference to qld, he does not need to be licensed or so they say. So who is right

We have been messed about so much with obtaining licenses and getting incorrect info from licensing boards in Brisbane that we are now facing the real possibility of heading back to the UK in the next few weeks.

We arrived in Jan and are nowhere near getting a license unfortunately our licensing fiasco, my husband is a mechanical services and air con plumber, was incorrectly told for the last 4 months that he could not have a provisional license in this trade, our finances now dictate our next move
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wardy2
ABC, I am guessing you are getting this info from the govt website, sorry if I am wrong but it appears to us to not always to reflect what is happening.

One of my husbands jobs is a boilermaker now he has been offered a fair bit of work in this line, but they withdraw the offer when they find out he has no licences.

According to the govt website and with reference to qld, he does not need to be licensed or so they say. So who is right
That's a very interesting observation, and yes the info is from the government immigration websites, so it 'should' be correct.

The Tiler info was from
http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...er-4416-11.htm

Looking at Metal Fabricator (Boilermaker) 4122-11
QLD does say "There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for this occupation in Queensland. "
and:
"This occupation requires you to have completed formal qualifications achieved through study, training or work experience and is referred to as the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). You need to have attained AQF Certificate III or higher qualification."

It does seem odd that an employer would require you to have a licence for this, when Immigration says you don't.

It may however be down to demand, and an employer may "prefer" people to be licenced. An answer from an employer on this point would be interesting.

That is an area that could well do with being clarified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.