Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So what do you need a licence for?

Wikiposts

So what do you need a licence for?

Old May 20th 2009, 1:18 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So what do you need a licence for?

Just wondering. People say you need a licence for everything here but I've not got a licence for anything that I didn't need a licence for in the UK. And I don't have a TV licence here.

So what are all these licences that people are getting above and beyond what they used to have in the UK?
Old May 20th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: So what do you need a licence for?

I have heard people mention the need to be licensed for particular occupations like plumbers and electricians etc. Anyone know what that involves and what occupations do and don't need to be liscenced?
Old May 20th 2009, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

kim69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GillyG
I have heard people mention the need to be licensed for particular occupations like plumbers and electricians etc. Anyone know what that involves and what occupations do and don't need to be liscenced?
lol just about any job over here even to sell cars,work behind a bar ect.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Just wondering. People say you need a licence for everything here but I've not got a licence for anything that I didn't need a licence for in the UK. And I don't have a TV licence here.

So what are all these licences that people are getting above and beyond what they used to have in the UK?

I am the same, only licence I have is to drive.

In fact I had to be qualified to do my job in the UK, here any Tom, Dick or Harry can do it and they do
Old May 20th 2009, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jond
I am the same, only licence I have is to drive.

In fact I had to be qualified to do my job in the UK, here any Tom, Dick or Harry can do it and they do
You mean fast boys from Essex selling cars need to be licenced in the UK.

Who'd have thunk.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GillyG
Are electricians and plumbers not licenced in the UK?
Old May 20th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Electricans and Gas Fitters should be, don't think its necessary for general plumber.

Licences I've got here:

Car
Boat
Fishing
Queensland construction site blue card

Licences I had in the UK:

Car
TV
Radio Ham (still valid so can use it in Aus)

Think at one time or another also had a dog licence, CB radio and metal detector licence.

On the subject of metal detector licence, I was at a Victoria Primary Industries Office this week and they were selling 'prospecting licences'. I thought it was a bit of a quirky thing that people could buy as I was in the Bendigo/Ballart old gold area, but I was told you actually need a prospecting licence for metal detectors here.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Conrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of light

in australia you need a licence to work in occupations where in the UK nobody asks for any papers.
to serve beer in pubs - RSA certificate
to serve coffee - certified barista
to clean - certificate in cleaning operations ( to clean toilets)
recently an italian girl told me she had been asked to provide certificates to work as a sandwich maker
to cable - restricted cabling licence, open cabling licence and few other
to dig with a shovel - no certificates for this job required but lot of references from australian employers (only) required
to cut grass - certificate in gardening required
to work in any areas where children are (you can be a fitter working for 1 h only there) - working with children police check required

Wherever you apply you must provide local licences, certificates, references, overseas papers are worthless, and to get local papers turns life into a nightmare when you face red tape and your overseas qualifications are not recognised, most of australian licences is valid in one state only, it means licence from Sydney is worthless in Melbourne and vice versa, and these trainings to get a licence are mostly useless, you don't gain any practical skills, only you are told how much fine you'd pay if found working without a licence, or whom you should inform when change address, waste of time and money.
I just found one offer for a garden labourer:

To be successful in this position you will need to show:

* Evidence of 3-5 years experience working in this profession,
* A sound knowledge of various plant species,
* Ability to identify and treat common pests, diseases and deficiencies within these plants,
* Excellent grass cutting, general labouring, pruning, weeding, spraying and planting skills,
* Proficiency in the use of all horticultural tools and equipment, brush cutters, chain saw, ride-on mowers,
* Neat presentation and professional manner with clients,
* At least 2 checkable referees required,

Please note, this position requires you to have a minimum Certificate III in Horticulture, current police check and a manual car licence.

If you want to join a great company with fantastic clients and you thrive in an outdoors maintenance environment - we want to hear from you!!!

Apply now by sending your resume with cover letter outlining your 3-5 years experience to XXXXXXXX

Casual Pay Rate: $17.80 per hour

If you have any further enquiries about this position please email them to XXXXX

Please note, only successful candidates will contacted for interview.

so mate in this country if u want to keep any pets also u must register them and get papers, wind can throw on your roof any rubbish, you can't pick it up unless you have a certificate to work at heights, or call someone who has this paper, and beware of taking beach photos with your kids, you can be suspected to be a pedophile unless you have "working with children police check", but you don't need a tv licence

Last edited by Conrad242; May 20th 2009 at 1:32 pm.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:29 pm
ABCDiamond

This is a difficult question to answer, for example, take a Carpenter:

Job Description:
Constructs, erects, installs, renovates and repairs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, wallboard and other materials.

New South Wales
Licensing is compulsory for unsupervised residential trade work. Licensing is not required for commercial or residential trade work.

Victoria
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for the occupation of Carpenter in Victoria.

Queensland
Licensing is compulsory in order to carry out or supervise building work over the value of $1100 (including Labour and materials).

South Australia
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for the occupation of Carpenter in South Australia.

Western Australia
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for the occupation of Carpenter in Western Australia.

Tasmania
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for the occupation of Carpenter in Tasmania.

Northern Territory
Registration is compulsory in order to carry out residential building work over the value of $12,000.

Australian Capital Territory
There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for the occupation of Carpenter in the ACT.

As far as gardeners are concerned... my local gardener isn't licenced..

A couple of adverts here, that only need a driving licence:
Landscape Gardener SUPERVISOR ROLE
We are seeking an experienced Landscape Gardener to join our team based in the western and northern suburbs. Must be experienced with soft and hard landscaping and have a current Victorian drivers licence.

PART TIME Gardener.
5-10 Hours Per Week Large garden, big lawn but no mowing. Would suit Retiree
Cleaners also don't need a licence, at least in QLD

Out of interest I did have to look up the "certificate in cleaning operations"...
The Certificate II in Asset Maintenance (Cleaning Operations) is a full-time two-week course. Done at TAFE, not a licence, just training in how to do the jobs.
These nationally recognised qualifications in cleaning operations and management are the training standards in the cleaning industry. The courses are specifically for staff who are working as contract cleaners or in-house cleaners in a variety of settings including retail centres, office blocks, health care and aged care and the industrial sector.
All cleaning courses offer students hands-on practical and technical skills. The higher-level qualifications also focus on management and supervisory skills.
Certificate II level students are provided with knowledge and basic domestic and commercial cleaning skills to enable them to perform all general cleaning duties. (examples include: Clean After Operations – Boning Room, Clean After Operations – Slaughter Floor)

Certificate II in Asset Maintenance (Cleaning Operations) graduate can look forward to a career in general, commercial and contract cleaning.
Certificate IV graduates will have the skills to work as cleaning supervisors, manage cleaning contracts or operate their own business.

Old May 20th 2009, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

I guess there's also confusion about when things are required. For example working with children certificate would not be legally required for someone doing a on-off job but may be required by the school (either because they misunderstood the law or because they're playing safe).

So are all the people who serve me coffee (including those in McDonalds) licenced baristas?

Have they got rid of fishing licences in the UK.

Are people in food shops in the UK not certified in food handling?

I guess also employers play it safe. I had to sign the Official Secrets Act in the UK for one employer even though I didn't do any government (or military) work for them.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Have they got rid of fishing licences in the UK.

No....but you need them in parts of Australia as well

You don't need one for Sea fishing in the UK....you do in NSW
Old May 20th 2009, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
No....but you need them in parts of Australia as well
Wasn't doubting that you need a fishing licence in Aus Was surprised at the possibility that one wasn't needed in the UK.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling

You don't need one for Sea fishing in the UK....you do in NSW
Does that include fishing off a beach (in the UK)? Just out of interest.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Does that include fishing off a beach (in the UK)? Just out of interest.
Yes....no licence needed in Salt water.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Conrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of light

I do telecommunication and electronic security cabling, i need a security licence, open cabling licence (to get this one i needed a rectricted cabling licence first), ohs card, and to install cctv in a nursery or children hospital i was told i must have "working with children check", some of these stupid requirements are not compulsory but employers require it when apply for a job, even in gardening jobs if no need for a licence, u must have australian diploma to get a job in it and get local experience first

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.