Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So Much RUBBISH!!!

So Much RUBBISH!!!

Old May 25th 2003, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

anthonykirby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So Much RUBBISH!!!

I have started to (painstakingly) get rid of our junk.

We only live in a 1 bed flat and already I have disposed of well over 30 bags of stuff!

Its quite sentimental things that are bringing back memories of my dad (for those of you who dont know he died in Nov 02)

But then I think - get rid of it - you got mental memories.

And he wouldn't want me breaking my back for some little book he bought me! ha ha ha

Anyway - hows everyone else getting on with clearouts etc???

Anthony
Old May 25th 2003, 6:29 pm
plumber39

Will start clearing out stuff when i know the house is sold and hopefully that will be in the next few month,s!

Old May 25th 2003, 6:34 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So Much RUBBISH!!!

Originally posted by anthonykirby

We only live in a 1 bed flat and already I have disposed of well over 30 bags of stuff!

Its quite sentimental things that are bringing back memories of my dad (for those of you who dont know he died in Nov 02)

And he wouldn't want me breaking my back for some little book he bought me! ha ha ha

Anthony

You wouldn't believe what they'll buy on ebay - I'm sure that I could stop putting the rubbish out on Mondays and sell it instead.

Perry
Old May 25th 2003, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

What sort of stuff? How long does the process take?
Is it easy to do?

I end up selling it for 20p at the car boot but feel better than tipping things as that is such a waste.

Giving things to family to as sentimental reminders. Very emotional.

Mash...

Originally posted by kentcoast
You wouldn't believe what they'll buy on ebay - I'm sure that I could stop putting the rubbish out on Mondays and sell it instead.

Perry
Old May 25th 2003, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

I can't get my head around it all!

Today I went around the house with a dictaphone and recorded items in every room. I managed to type it all up but that, I'm afraid to say is as far as I got. I can't believe how much stuff we've accumulated over the years!

The idea of going to oz with very little in the way of household stuff is a very appealing one altho' I expect it will eventually all build up again. Woe is me!

Old May 25th 2003, 6:57 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mashiraz
Is it easy to do?

I end up selling it for 20p at the car boot but feel better than tipping things as that is such a waste.

Mash...

Mash,
It's a simple process of registering for a sellers account to sell on Ebay, then follow the instructions for listing items for sale there's a small charge and items tend to sell loads better if you include a picture [easy with a digital camera] https://scgi.ebay.co.uk/saw-cgi/eBay...e=0&ru=default
Sean
PS I've ebayed stuff I expected to take to the dump, people really will buy anything.
Old May 25th 2003, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

cleared my home office the other day.................filled a 7 cu yd skip with stuff from a 12 x 12 room !!
Cleared the outbuildings too...........lit the bonfire on Wednesday at 9:30am and it went out the following Monday afternoon !!

believe me folks, it's never too soon to start the clear-out
Old May 25th 2003, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have lots of stuff to sort through and it is my hubby who likes to hoard things!!

It is so unbelievable the stuff he keeps and im not sure if throwing stuff away etc will do him a mishap!!! He may need some serious conselling afterwards.

Hey, anthony, how are you doing at the moment. You seem to be very focused. Thats great! keep it going.

Cheers booboo
Old May 25th 2003, 9:23 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

I have a hoarder for a husband also and after 45 years we have a fair bit accumulated. We have been clearing out now for about 2 months and his car is recognised at the tip. We are selling garden equipment etc as we can't take it with us really (space and cleaning) but his tools are all being itemised, cleaned and listed however he has decided to get rid of some and the 'wood'metal and etc' that may come in useful some day!!!!!!
It is NEVER too early to start your clearout

Where can I sell my large goldfish?????????
Old May 25th 2003, 9:31 pm
ems
Forum Regular

ems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by yafm
I have a hoarder for a husband also and after 45 years we have a fair bit accumulated. We have been clearing out now for about 2 months and his car is recognised at the tip. We are selling garden equipment etc as we can't take it with us really (space and cleaning) but his tools are all being itemised, cleaned and listed however he has decided to get rid of some and the 'wood'metal and etc' that may come in useful some day!!!!!!
It is NEVER too early to start your clearout

Where can I sell my large goldfish?????????

Sounds familiar ! My hubby has also had to part with many things that 'may come in useful some day'. We're moving to a smaller house with not much storage on Fri so had to get rid of loads of stuff. Clearing out the sentimental stuff is definitely the hardest..... I had birthday, christmas, anniversary etc cards dating back years, had to be ruthless with those. Much harder to sort out the kids stuff though ! We've thinned down to two boxes full of first paintings, clothes, reports, certificates the list goes on ! Just can't get rid of that stuff !

Em
Old May 25th 2003, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have moved several times in the last 3 years including to and from Perth, each time got rid of clutter only to find it comes back. Where does it come from.

Found best solution was to hire a skip and get rid.

Also took loads of stuff to charity shop.

The loot is also a good bet if you dont want to use ebay, www.loot.co.uk its free to list and you can target local area.
Old May 26th 2003, 9:18 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mashiraz
Is it easy to do?

Mash...
Sorry about the delay in replying Mash - I lost track of this thread. Ebay is a doddle to to use - register and start selling - useful to have pictures of stuff to upload. So far I've made over a thousand pounds out of junk that I'd have otherwise bootsale'd or chucked - old stereo kit, toys, household appliances etc. The aim now is to make enough to cover the removal costs for next year and it's looking like it's going to be easy.

Thing to remember is not to ask what-if questions about the money you get - for example in the loft I had an east german concertina, about 20 years old, really cheap and nasty thing cost about a tenner new. I'd have thrown it away or accepted a quid at a boot sale - it went for £150 to an american dealer who already had a buyer for it and made a tidy profit. Such is life but as far as I'm concerned I'm still quids in.

Cheers

Perry
Old May 26th 2003, 10:31 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I sorted my wardrobe out yesterday threw away a few pairs of shoes much to my hubbys delight. Also started to go through paperwork managed 2 bin bags full.

We will hopefully be moving into rented in the next 6 - 8 weeks and that is from 2 houses so I have loads of stuff to sort out and we have 2 of every item of furniture.

I have just made a list of items to sell and will try the local press first as it is free to advertise items under 100 pound.

Jo
Old May 26th 2003, 10:32 am
Badge

i cleared out over a year ago when i went to Australia for a year. Now my worldy goods are stored in 8 crates - nice and easy. eg. one of photos, three of hardbacks, one of CDs, one of framed certificates/paintings, pretty much the sentimental stuff. everything else went.

I had a boot sale and had punters swarming all over my videos, books (i got rid of all my paperbacks and unwanted hardbacks), sports equipment (all in perfect condition) . They were giving me money as i turned up and was getting it out of the car.

like flies round sh*t

Everyone else was selling kids clothes etc and were lucky to get a couple of quid.

made 400 quid in a morning.

badgers

Old May 26th 2003, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hooray, tackled the loft. Its empty!!!

The landing however you can't move on. Hubby's queuing at the tip as we speak...

It's a start!

Mash
Originally posted by anthonykirby

Anthony