Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So can it go in the shipping container or not ?????

So can it go in the shipping container or not ?????

Old Sep 6th 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Wilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really nice
Default So can it go in the shipping container or not ?????

Hi all,
I'm just going through the shipping quote comparison stage at the moment, and they all say different things about what can be taken and what can't.

As rellies won't be visiting for a while, I want to send a supply of sealed coffee pods for my Tassimo in with our household stuff as you can't seem to get them in Oz (along with the tampax). Looking at the AQIS site it seems they are okay as they aren't the cappucino ones with milk portions, but some of the shipping companies say no food/beverage stuff in the container - is this them just covering themselves for people asking of they can ship stuff like burgers?

Is there anything else I should be thinking about - like Bisto ?!!

All info very gratefully received.

Thanks very much
Wilpurina
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:41 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So can it go in the shipping container or not ?????

Originally Posted by Wilpurina
Hi all,
I'm just going through the shipping quote comparison stage at the moment, and they all say different things about what can be taken and what can't.

As rellies won't be visiting for a while, I want to send a supply of sealed coffee pods for my Tassimo in with our household stuff as you can't seem to get them in Oz (along with the tampax). Looking at the AQIS site it seems they are okay as they aren't the cappucino ones with milk portions, but some of the shipping companies say no food/beverage stuff in the container - is this them just covering themselves for people asking of they can ship stuff like burgers?

Is there anything else I should be thinking about - like Bisto ?!!

All info very gratefully received.

Thanks very much
Wilpurina
some shippers tell you no food stuffs etc in the container as this can hold you up at AQIS as soon as you declare food stuffs in there they will inspect the whole lot. http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/mail/cant-mail
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:10 am
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

I definitely would not go for any food stuffs in the container!

Dont give AQIS any further reason to trawl through your belongings. Our container is currently at Brisbane docks waiting for them to release it so am glad I didnt put anything in there that could hold it up any longer - it is already been there 3 weeks!

I really think that getting used to living in Australia includes not being able to buy what you could in the UK, even if you do bring favourites over (coffee or bisto - whatever), eventually it will run out and then you will have to try to find a replacement here so I wouldnt bother personally.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They won't inspect it all, they won't even necessarily inspect the boxes with food. If you declare clearly what's in it, they may well just let it in anyway - thats what happened with the last lot of stuff I brought over Went through AQIS uninspected, in spite of delaring food and alcohol.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

Is there that much point in bringing the coffee machine in the first place - you'll run out of the pods eventually. Sell it on maybe, and get one that takes regular coffee?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate coffee and have no coffee machine as a result but have seen this website mentioned in the past:

http://www.coffeedirect.com.au/

I'm not sure if these are usuable by your machine or not. If the pod things are fairly generic things then the supermarkets also have them unless there is a particular brand you like
Old Sep 7th 2007, 1:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I'd want a coffee that had trawled the high seas for two months anyway. If you can't get the pods here it doesn't seem worth bringing it but if you do, just bring the coffee in the sealed boxes in your suitcases.