Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snakes - the real danger!

Snakes - the real danger!

Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snakes - the real danger!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, a bunch of snakes will get behind the vending machine and push it onto you!

It's a very real danger!
Steady now, next we'll be seeing threads started on ned/chav snakes bringing down the tone of certain areas, with their loud music, love of Burberry and general mischief.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by burtreynoldsisonit
It's not the snakes you need to worry about, it's the boomerangs. According to the survey I just made up, the number one cause of death in Australia is being knocked into traffic by stray boomerangs. Last year alone, boomerangs claimed the lives of everyone in Australia. In fact, the rest of the world didn't even find out until six months later as there was nobody alive to report it.
That's funny!!!!!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:00 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ameya
My reasearch has been on snakes as i learnt that they pose a realistic danger in Australia, couple of my pals told me that they found snakes in their apartment...geez! thats scary

How about Adelaide? is it prone to snakes? snake attacks?

Thanks
You English people worry too much!!!!

Snakes ....phhht!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:27 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

My reasearch has been on snakes as i learnt that they pose a realistic danger in Australia, couple of my pals told me that they found snakes in their apartment...geez! thats scary

How about Adelaide? is it prone to snakes? snake attacks?

Thanks
Research...what research?...pfaff snakes...drop bears..nobody seems to mention them..be afraid,be very afraid

http://www.cfr.com.au/dropbears/
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:29 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burtreynoldsisonit
It's not the snakes you need to worry about, it's the boomerangs. According to the survey I just made up, the number one cause of death in Australia is being knocked into traffic by stray boomerangs. Last year alone, boomerangs claimed the lives of everyone in Australia. In fact, the rest of the world didn't even find out until six months later as there was nobody alive to report it.
Do you write for the Daily Mail??
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:43 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful, at the following places:

Carpet Choice - in the rolled up carpet, is found the carpet snake. It has an axminster pattern on its body, and is stain proof via a Dupont redemption cert for 20 years !

Green Trees - is where you will find the green tree snake, so only look at properties where there are brown trees. Suffice to say, if you are colour blind.. you may just die.

Red Belly Black snakes - more often ppl die from being bit by a what they think is a harmless black snake, until they try to inspect the snakes belly, to see if it is red, and get bitten !! Strange but true

Brown Snakes - these are very dangerous, and play on the colour blind ppl who bought a block of land with plenty of Brown Trees. Sometimes they hide behind green tree snakes, as you hug brown trees, and then attack ! Deadly.

Target - be careful when venturing into a Target store, in the mens section of workwear apparell, may be found the Trouser Snake.

Deadliest of them all, is the Sydney Funnel Black Spotted Viper. Its only small, but hides in the pouches of Drop Bears. As the drop bears fall on your head, rendering you unconcious, the snake, slips out of the pouch, and slithers down ya earole. Very Deadly.

Youve been warned !

Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

We saw our first real live snake the other day in Eatons Hill

It was a dead, squashed green tree snake

There's irony for you
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

ameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really nice

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Research...what research?...pfaff snakes...drop bears..nobody seems to mention them..be afraid,be very afraid

Well, I just thought about snakes
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:21 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a terrific photo of a snake that strangled a cat and climbed up into the rafters with it - really quite amazing but won't post it here in case it offends people.

Snakes aren't too much to worry about - just need to be aware of them when you are in places that you may come accorss them.

I used to come accross them a lot when I lived in a rural area - killed prob one per month.

Eventually a brown snake got my Jack Russell! Poor little tiger!

Not really anything to worry about though!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:55 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<

Never mind the made up statistics about boomerangs killing the entire population of Australia, its obvious that drop bears were actually responsible.

As they've evolved, and realised that people are wary of standing under trees, they instead use their giant, voluminous arses to deflect errant boomerangs, thus killing their prey but managing to avoid making it into 'WorryWart's Encyclopedia of Made Up Statistics 2008'

Further, be warned that if you receive an email entitled 'Drop Bears of Queenslands', with an attachment, DO NOT OPEN IT.

The Drop bear has found a way to worm through the webspace, and eat your hard drive. Environmentalists are resisting attempts to devise virus protection, so this could be a very real problem for years to come.

You have been warned.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

ameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really niceameya is just really nice
Default Re: Snakes + dropbear - the real danger!

Well,

I went through the dropbears research and the only fact i came across was that there is an extreme possibility of it being a myth...

I found a nice piece from wiki to corroborate what i researched... Moreover, i didnt find any picture of the 'dropbear' on the internet, except one, which was morphed

There are several possible origins of the drop bear myth.

Some suggest that it is designed to discourage children from straying needlessly below eucalyptus trees, protecting them from the very real danger of getting hit by a falling branch. Arbitrary detachment of old branches is common with certain species of the eucalyptus, which are known as 'widow-makers' for this very reason. Similar theories are attached to the cone from the bunya tree.

Another possibility is that the myth is based on a real animal. It appears to have first appeared during the latter half of the 20th century, and may have its origins with Phascolarctos stirtoni or perhaps Thylacoleo carnifex, which belong to a group of extinct animals known as Australian megafauna. The prehistoric creatures were approximately twice the size of modern koalas. T. carnifex is thought to have been an arboreal (tree-dwelling) predator that may well have ambushed prey by dropping on it from overhead branches, similar to how cougars often hunt.

However, despite the merit or otherwise of these putative explanations it seems far more likely that drop bears started out as a joke.

I guess, we need to 'drop' the 'dropbear' now
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:43 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Well,

However, despite the merit or otherwise of these putative explanations it seems far more likely that drop bears started out as a joke.

::devastated::

Next you'll be telling me that even if I sleep with my head under the pillow, the toothfairy won't be coming with her ladder and pliers, and verrily $28 in shiny $1 coins.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dreamy

Next you'll be telling me that even if I sleep with my head under the pillow, the toothfairy won't be coming with her ladder and pliers, and verrily $28 in shiny $1 coins.
thats not what i am saying' it is the ever diplomatic wiki'
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dreamy

I just punched in 'toothfairy' on google
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bcworld
Do you write for the Daily Mail??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.