Snakes

Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

DesperateHomer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snakes

How likely is it that you’ll encounter a snake, irrespective of whether it’s poisonous or not. (Bet I’m not the first to ask!)
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:11 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Talking Re: Snakes

Very likely over time. Especially if your not living in a city center.

But it's nothing to worry about, It the spiders that U really need to watch out for !

Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Mhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really nice
Default Re: Snakes

Hi

We've been here for 7 months now. We live fairly near the bush in Sydney's Northern Beaches. Haven't seen a snake yet, just a few big spiders. Fortunately the spiders haven't ventured in doors yet.

Mhairi
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:03 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

One or two in a year, maybe, if you're really lucky.

If you live in a high bush area, maybe three or four... but that's if it's very dry and they're out looking for water. Snakes are naturally shy and won't bother you if you don't bother them.
Same with much of the wildlife here actually.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:11 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Lived here for almost 3 years and only ever seen an ex-snake!

However, we do live in mass suburbia so that has something to do with it!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:29 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely. I've been here two and a half years and I've seen only one. That said, I do keep my eyes open when walking in and around the bush.

In terms of worrying about it it's not really an issue. Maybe 4 or 5 people a year are killed by snakes, out of a population of about 20 million people.

Most bites occur when people try to pick them up.

Big.

Last edited by Big Galah; Mar 25th 2007 at 2:32 am.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:53 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DesperateHomer
How likely is it that you’ll encounter a snake, irrespective of whether it’s poisonous or not. (Bet I’m not the first to ask!)
Depends how often you go to the zoo. Afterall you should realise that snakes actually avoid people....
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:20 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We've had two Eastern Browns around our little six-villa development in the last month - that we know of, that is.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:44 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I'm sure snakes come through our garden regularly, but we don't actually see or meet them...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:51 am
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Snakes

Hi

we live across from the beach there are a few signs that snakes live in the sand dunes next to the beach , well me and my 2 dogs were walking to the beach and i nearly stood on a dugite snake and my next door neighbours cat got bitten and it died by a dugite, but saying that as everyone says they are very hard to come acroos they want to keep as far away from us and we want to keep as far away from them.

well i am a barber and i was sitting waiting for someone to come in and guess what a huntsmen spider crawled in the door big buggers i love spiders this is the first time i saw 1 man came in walked up and stood on it i was pissed:curse:
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:12 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jocky boy
Hi

we live across from the beach there are a few signs that snakes live in the sand dunes next to the beach , well me and my 2 dogs were walking to the beach and i nearly stood on a dugite snake and my next door neighbours cat got bitten and it died by a dugite, but saying that as everyone says they are very hard to come acroos they want to keep as far away from us and we want to keep as far away from them.

well i am a barber and i was sitting waiting for someone to come in and guess what a huntsmen spider crawled in the door big buggers i love spiders this is the first time i saw 1 man came in walked up and stood on it i was pissed:curse:
Did he want a a hair cut ?

Op - my daughter saw one when she was bush walking along the Bibbulmuntrail and I've seen one squashed acros the road !
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:07 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DesperateHomer
Most deffo does depend on where you live. Friends of mine live near the bush in Townsville: their cat brought in a very alive and very angry Taipan the other day which promptly bit the cat! It didn't inject any venom otherwise the cat wouldn't still be here. The snake was thrashing about and striking at anything and anyone that got near, so alas they had to kill it; it was far too dangerous to remove from the house alive. Taipans incidentally are deadly.

I love snakes and I go out looking for them. Nevertheless, unless I know with absolutely certainty it's a harmless species I wouldn't go anywhere near it. There are a lot of dangerous species and some, such as Tiger snakes, Taipans, Western and Eastern Browns, Dugites and many of the Whip snakes are not averse to moving into your garden and very exceptionally, your house!

If you are concerned about snakes, don't panic! Most people never have close encounters and many don't see any at all, even after years of being in the country. Personally I am way more concerned about crossing the roads here considering how some drivers behave!!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Something that we'd never thought to be worried about was Ants! That is until we went camping this weekend. The kids managed to stand on top of a Bull Ant nest and got badly bitten by the not so little blighters. They reall are nasty little sods, had to hit one about eight times with a shoe to stop it in its tracks even then it was still attempting to get at us.

For those of you still in the UK these things are about 5x the size of ants there. You can see them if you click here
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

if you have found evidence that snakes do use your gardens, how can i prevent my dog from getting bitten, is there anything that can be used to prevent snakes from entering your garden?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:24 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

My uncle Billy
had a ten foot willy
and he showed it to the lady next door.

She thought it was a snake
so hit it with a rake
and now it's only two foot four.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.