British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Snake Deterrent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/snake-deterrent-493336/)

sel Nov 29th 2007 4:57 am

Re: Snake Deterrent

Originally Posted by biggy (Post 5612282)
I wouldnt be shouting that from the rooftops...it is a protected species..minimum $4000 fine for killin the buggas

It is not an offence if it is killed in self defence or if you wholeheartedly feel it is an immediate danger to any persons or pets.

cresta57 Nov 29th 2007 8:12 am

Originally Posted by sel (Post 5612714)
It is not an offence if it is killed in self defence or if you wholeheartedly feel it is an immediate danger to any persons or pets.

That's quite correct, if your threatened in any way you may kill the snake. If you need to be somewhere on your property and your way is blocked by a snake you may also kill said snake. The law does make exceptions & common sense will usually prevail i.e if your children are playing in the house yard and are bailed up by a Brown Snake it's exceptable to shoot the offending snake.
The same applies to Crocs, if one is attacking a person it can be shot as per the recent case where the croc tried to make off with a beach camper & was shot by a fellow camper.
Where large fines are imposed it's usually when offenders have actually gone snake or croc hunting.
I should add that while it may be legal to kill in defence most people are actually bitten whilst trying to kill snakes. Rakes and spades are not good snake killing tools a 12 gauge is far better:eek:

annqldau Nov 30th 2007 7:35 am

Originally Posted by biggy (Post 5612282)
I wouldnt be shouting that from the rooftops...it is a protected species..minimum $4000 fine for killin the buggas

Originally Posted by sel (Post 5612714)

Die or pay the $4000 fine, if for real I'd think I'd take the fine.

youngy73 Nov 30th 2007 9:45 am

1 Attachment(s)
i was just trying to give this fella cuddle on a recent trip to cape york. whats the big deal with snakes

annqldau Dec 1st 2007 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by youngy73 (Post 5617258)
i was just trying to give this fella cuddle on a recent trip to cape york. whats the big deal with snakes

Cuddling all the way to the coffin...:rofl:

sniffydog Dec 1st 2007 9:48 pm

Moving to Victoria = are we likely to encounter snakes??

Possums Dec 1st 2007 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by tonyk38 (Post 5583404)
Correct, and the head stays alive for hours after it has been chopped off, so a) it could still potentially bite, and b) it dies a slow lingering death.

The reason killing snakes is illegal is simple. They are an essential part of any ecosystem and particulary so in Aus which has some of the highest reptilian diversity on earth (nearly 1000 species).

Many snake species are in trouble and the wildlife rescue peeps I know here in Cairns are sick of folks molesting a 'brown' snake which far more often than not turns out to be a harmless or inoffensive species...

I am totally shocked by the way the wildlife is treat where we are :( any snake is shot immediately threat or no threat, I know we have a lot of them but even so. They then brag about it and hang them outside there properties etc. People hunt wallaby for dog food and it seems shoot birds just for the hell of it :confused:

someone was casually talking of how to kills snakes on the golf course, where to hit it with your club etc :frown:

theres been a recent campaign re the wedge tail, I brought it up in conversation the other night no one could give a ****. In fact they seem bemused that we do care? whether this is because these animals are exotic to us and obviously not to them I dont know.

feel very disillusioned by it all.

if these fines are in place they dont seem to reach here? :thumbdown:

tonyk38 Dec 2nd 2007 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Demeter (Post 5622501)
I am totally shocked by the way the wildlife is treat where we are :( any snake is shot immediately threat or no threat, I know we have a lot of them but even so. They then brag about it and hang them outside there properties etc. People hunt wallaby for dog food and it seems shoot birds just for the hell of it :confused:

someone was casually talking of how to kills snakes on the golf course, where to hit it with your club etc :frown:

theres been a recent campaign re the wedge tail, I brought it up in conversation the other night no one could give a ****. In fact they seem bemused that we do care? whether this is because these animals are exotic to us and obviously not to them I dont know.

feel very disillusioned by it all.

if these fines are in place they dont seem to reach here? :thumbdown:

Welcome to Tassie... My mate back in the UK who was from near Launceston pretty much said exactly the same as you about many folks down there, and no I don't get it either...:(

tonyk38 Dec 2nd 2007 7:55 am

Originally Posted by sniffydog (Post 5622423)
Moving to Victoria = are we likely to encounter snakes??

Quite possibly.

Common species around Melb'n include Eastern Brown Snake, Red-bellied Black Snake, Small-eyed Snake and Eastern Tiger Snake: all potentially deadly. That does not mean however that you should live in fear of your life. You may go many years without seeing any.:)

Possums Dec 2nd 2007 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by tonyk38 (Post 5623417)
Welcome to Tassie... My mate back in the UK who was from near Launceston pretty much said exactly the same as you about many folks down there, and no I don't get it either...:(

well i really shouldnt sound like I'm tarring them all with the same brush, its only my observations so far. However I banged into someone yesterday arvo who was carrying a blue tongue in a box, he'd been trapped behind a cupboard in a cold storage room and didnt look too good but she was taking him home to feed him up and release him on recovery :thumbup:

tonyk38 Dec 3rd 2007 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Demeter (Post 5625169)
well i really shouldnt sound like I'm tarring them all with the same brush, its only my observations so far. However I banged into someone yesterday arvo who was carrying a blue tongue in a box, he'd been trapped behind a cupboard in a cold storage room and didnt look too good but she was taking him home to feed him up and release him on recovery :thumbup:

Excellent!:thumbup:

Devonfamily Jan 12th 2008 10:53 pm

I know this is an old Thread from Dec '07 - but being absolutely terrified of snakes and reading these posts about what to be aware of i.e. the wildlife and the "snakes - it is seriously scaring the living FUDGE out of me and my fiance' doesnt realize how terrified I am of snakes. He just cannot grasp the reality of how bloody scared I am of snakes. I grew up in South Africa - so I'v seen it - whereas he has lived in the UK all his life - so has not!

I'm sitting here in the UK - on the verge of bursting into tears - and I'm not even there! We are very keen on immigrating to Adelaide - but the more I read about the reality of snakes there - I am beginning to feel like I just don't want to do it! :(

mr mover Jan 12th 2008 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Devonfamily (Post 5779413)
I know this is an old Thread from Dec '07 - but being absolutely terrified of snakes and reading these posts about what to be aware of i.e. the wildlife and the "snakes - it is seriously scaring the living FUDGE out of me and my fiance' doesnt realize how terrified I am of snakes. He just cannot grasp the reality of how bloody scared I am of snakes. I grew up in South Africa - so I'v seen it - whereas he has lived in the UK all his life - so has not!

I'm sitting here in the UK - on the verge of bursting into tears - and I'm not even there! We are very keen on immigrating to Adelaide - but the more I read about the reality of snakes there - I am beginning to feel like I just don't want to do it! :(

If this helps, i have lived in Adelaide for 45 years, in that time i have seen about 5 snakes in the wild,and have never had a close call...........mm;)

Gav_71 Jan 13th 2008 1:43 pm

Devonfamily!

Do not worry about it! I was initially put off my the whole snake thing but when I made my reccie back in November, I asked lots of people, both Ozzies and Brits about how much of a problem snakes are. The fact is, unless you go looking for them, you will probably not encounter one.

Simple rules about keeping a yard tidy, grass short etc. Be vigilante when walking out in rural areas, especially with kids and pets. As previously mentioned, most snake bites occur when someone is trying to kill or taunt a snake. Not surprisingly, most reported cases involve alcohol too!

Gav

deano66 Jan 13th 2008 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Devonfamily (Post 5779413)

I've had 2 adders in my house near Exeter and 2 in the garden. I'm moving to Oz to get away from the buggers! :eek: