Snake Deterrent

Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Snake Deterrent

Does anyone have any good snake deterrent suggestions. I live on a semi rural acreage and in the past 2 weeks have had 3 brown snakes on the property, 1 under my deck and 2 in my pool area. The second one was around 1 metre long and was approx 2 metre's from the pool while Mrs LL and kids were in there. As our block is semi rural I don't expect to be able to prevent wildlife living there, but would like to stop snakes from being around these 2 areas.

Thanks LL
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Snake Deterrent

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Does anyone have any good snake deterrent suggestions. I live on a semi rural acreage and in the past 2 weeks have had 3 brown snakes on the property, 1 under my deck and 2 in my pool area. The second one was around 1 metre long and was approx 2 metre's from the pool while Mrs LL and kids were in there. As our block is semi rural I don't expect to be able to prevent wildlife living there, but would like to stop snakes from being around these 2 areas.

Thanks LL
Jack Russells are supposed to be good.

The other thing to consider is the food chain. Do you have chickens? Chicken food brings rats, brings snakes, etc.

WW
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

We have a cat rather than a dog, we got that as we had mice a couple of years ago. None since we got the cat though

We don't have any other animals and we do keep the block tidy (grass short, no piles of logs etc etc). I did see a product called "ShooSnake" on the internet but not sure how effective these types of products actually are.

Snakes are something I have learned to live with since moving here but am a bit concerned we now have them around areas the kids are playing (and making a fair bit of noise).
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:56 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a cat rather than a dog, we got that as we had mice a couple of years ago. None since we got the cat though

We don't have any other animals and we do keep the block tidy (grass short, no piles of logs etc etc). I did see a product called "ShooSnake" on the internet but not sure how effective these types of products actually are.

Snakes are something I have learned to live with since moving here but am a bit concerned we now have them around areas the kids are playing (and making a fair bit of noise).
when its hot they like to go for a wee dook
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:14 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks LL
Noise, short grass, guinifowl, Australian terrier, 12 bore, vacuum cleaner (my first line of defense now for little snakes) and runaway works well.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:32 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of snakes did anyone read this??I don`t know that I`d be taking photos of the thing just after it swallowed the family pet!!
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...008620,00.html
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely short grass and nothing left lying around that could be a nice cool shelter - old logs etc. We are sort of semi rural and been here two years. I've still not seen a snake. Gravel is good too. They can't slither over it.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:53 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Talking of snakes did anyone read this??I don`t know that I`d be taking photos of the thing just after it swallowed the family pet!!
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...008620,00.html
I understand the snake only swallowed the cat to catch the mice.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Where can I get some guinea fowl ? Do they need much maintenance ??!

Originally Posted by annqldau
Noise, short grass, guinifowl, Australian terrier, 12 bore, vacuum cleaner (my first line of defense now for little snakes) and runaway works well.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:02 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I understand the snake only swallowed the cat to catch the mice.
It belonged to the old woman who swallowed a fly
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

Thanks LL
I was talking to an elderly Aussie bloke about snakes especially browns as they frighten the life outta me...he was sayin that now hes got his grandchildren running around the garden..if he sees a brown..he shoots it..so it cant move and he keeps a sharp spade near his back door and then chops the head off..yuk!!

Ive heard other people say that they keep sharp spades for this reason by their doors too...how did you get rid of yours??

Last edited by dolliedimples; Nov 12th 2007 at 1:05 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Got rid of the first with a shovel, second was with a whippersnipper and the 3rd, depsite our attempts, made a run (or should that be slither) for it under a brushwood fence.
The suggestion by Moneypen to use gravel sounds good. I'll give that a shot.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Got rid of the first with a shovel, second was with a whippersnipper and the 3rd, depsite our attempts, made a run (or should that be slither) for it under a brushwood fence.
The suggestion by Moneypen to use gravel sounds good. I'll give that a shot.
Awe thats sad, isn't there a snake catcher in your area who could have relocated them?
snakes also keep down the mice population.

Your pool is probably attracting the snakes.

Last edited by smee; Nov 13th 2007 at 4:07 am.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:57 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you know that it is illegal to kill snakes and that you can get fined over $5K if you get caught

here is a deterrant
Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Snake Deterrent

Thanks LL
We went to asnake show in Childers, Qld and this question was asked of the show handlers. They advised they use deisel around their property and also the herb fennel to deter snakes.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.