British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Snake Deterrent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/snake-deterrent-493336/)

Loch Lomond Nov 12th 2007 8:59 am

Snake Deterrent

Does anyone have any good snake deterrent suggestions. I live on a semi rural acreage and in the past 2 weeks have had 3 brown snakes on the property, 1 under my deck and 2 in my pool area. The second one was around 1 metre long and was approx 2 metre's from the pool while Mrs LL and kids were in there. As our block is semi rural I don't expect to be able to prevent wildlife living there, but would like to stop snakes from being around these 2 areas.

Thanks LL

wanderingwombat Nov 12th 2007 9:57 am

Re: Snake Deterrent

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond (Post 5544161)
Does anyone have any good snake deterrent suggestions. I live on a semi rural acreage and in the past 2 weeks have had 3 brown snakes on the property, 1 under my deck and 2 in my pool area. The second one was around 1 metre long and was approx 2 metre's from the pool while Mrs LL and kids were in there. As our block is semi rural I don't expect to be able to prevent wildlife living there, but would like to stop snakes from being around these 2 areas.

Thanks LL

Jack Russells are supposed to be good.

The other thing to consider is the food chain. Do you have chickens? Chicken food brings rats, brings snakes, etc.

WW

Loch Lomond Nov 12th 2007 10:06 am

We have a cat rather than a dog, we got that as we had mice a couple of years ago. None since we got the cat though:thumbup:

We don't have any other animals and we do keep the block tidy (grass short, no piles of logs etc etc). I did see a product called "ShooSnake" on the internet but not sure how effective these types of products actually are.

Snakes are something I have learned to live with since moving here but am a bit concerned we now have them around areas the kids are playing (and making a fair bit of noise).

biggy Nov 12th 2007 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond (Post 5544394)
We have a cat rather than a dog, we got that as we had mice a couple of years ago. None since we got the cat though:thumbup:

We don't have any other animals and we do keep the block tidy (grass short, no piles of logs etc etc). I did see a product called "ShooSnake" on the internet but not sure how effective these types of products actually are.

Snakes are something I have learned to live with since moving here but am a bit concerned we now have them around areas the kids are playing (and making a fair bit of noise).

when its hot they like to go for a wee dook

annqldau Nov 12th 2007 11:14 am

Thanks LL

Noise, short grass, guinifowl, Australian terrier, 12 bore, vacuum cleaner (my first line of defense now for little snakes) and runaway works well.

gobbyjock Nov 12th 2007 11:32 am

Talking of snakes did anyone read this??I don`t know that I`d be taking photos of the thing just after it swallowed the family pet!!
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...008620,00.html

moneypenny20 Nov 12th 2007 11:32 am

Definitely short grass and nothing left lying around that could be a nice cool shelter - old logs etc. We are sort of semi rural and been here two years. I've still not seen a snake. Gravel is good too. They can't slither over it.

Bix Nov 12th 2007 11:53 am

Originally Posted by gobbyjock (Post 5544735)
Talking of snakes did anyone read this??I don`t know that I`d be taking photos of the thing just after it swallowed the family pet!!
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...008620,00.html

I understand the snake only swallowed the cat to catch the mice.

melaniee Nov 12th 2007 11:56 am

Where can I get some guinea fowl ? Do they need much maintenance ??!

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 5544664)
Noise, short grass, guinifowl, Australian terrier, 12 bore, vacuum cleaner (my first line of defense now for little snakes) and runaway works well.

gobbyjock Nov 12th 2007 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 5544818)
I understand the snake only swallowed the cat to catch the mice.

It belonged to the old woman who swallowed a fly:lol:

dolliedimples Nov 12th 2007 1:03 pm

Thanks LL

I was talking to an elderly Aussie bloke about snakes especially browns as they frighten the life outta me...he was sayin that now hes got his grandchildren running around the garden..if he sees a brown..he shoots it..so it cant move and he keeps a sharp spade near his back door and then chops the head off..yuk!!

Ive heard other people say that they keep sharp spades for this reason by their doors too...how did you get rid of yours??

Loch Lomond Nov 13th 2007 3:40 am

Got rid of the first with a shovel, second was with a whippersnipper and the 3rd, depsite our attempts, made a run (or should that be slither) for it under a brushwood fence.
The suggestion by Moneypen to use gravel sounds good. I'll give that a shot.

smee Nov 13th 2007 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond (Post 5548112)
Got rid of the first with a shovel, second was with a whippersnipper and the 3rd, depsite our attempts, made a run (or should that be slither) for it under a brushwood fence.
The suggestion by Moneypen to use gravel sounds good. I'll give that a shot.

Awe thats sad, isn't there a snake catcher in your area who could have relocated them?
snakes also keep down the mice population.

Your pool is probably attracting the snakes.

biggy Nov 13th 2007 3:57 am

Did you know that it is illegal to kill snakes and that you can get fined over $5K if you get caught

here is a deterrant

BettyBoop Nov 13th 2007 6:10 am

Thanks LL

We went to asnake show in Childers, Qld and this question was asked of the show handlers. They advised they use deisel around their property and also the herb fennel to deter snakes.

BB:thumbsup: