Snake Deterrent

Old Nov 18th 2007, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all
Default Re: Snake Deterrent

Just seen my first snake (I am never going out again) Went to open the back door to let the dog into her run and there it was yuk A little brown thing less than a metre long, I xxxx my self. It went off under the fence to next door, I have warned my neighbors, who bless came round with a big spade, but no sign of it now. Now searching the internet for everything previously suggested
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:21 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linloo
Just seen my first snake (I am never going out again) Went to open the back door to let the dog into her run and there it was yuk A little brown thing less than a metre long, I xxxx my self. It went off under the fence to next door, I have warned my neighbors, who bless came round with a big spade, but no sign of it now. Now searching the internet for everything previously suggested
Leave it alone , more people are bitten trying to kill snakes, than those who just let them move on through,,,,,,mm
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mr mover
Leave it alone , more people are bitten trying to kill snakes, than those who just let them move on through,,,,,,mm
"Leave it alone" I,m not going anywhere near it I was cowering in the corner) Neighbor is a true aussie and a gent, knew I was scared and just brought the shovel for show, said the same thing you did, just not good on surprises and I love my dog All I need now is a kangaroo through the place and I should be over it all
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:22 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody hell.. I have been swotting up on which spiders are what and do what that I have totally forgotten about snakes!!

Em x
Old Nov 18th 2007, 3:21 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

"Leave it alone" I,m not going anywhere near it I was cowering in the corner) Neighbor is a true aussie and a gent, knew I was scared and just brought the shovel for show, said the same thing you did, just not good on surprises and I love my dog All I need now is a kangaroo through the place and I should be over it all
I have stopped my dogs from chasing and killing lizards, once they understand that any thing that crawls is not to be messed with they will be wary of snakes.............mm
Old Nov 18th 2007, 4:37 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Frogs eat spiders, snakes eat frogs, rats eat snakes, cane toads eat rats,cats eat rats, dingos eat cats, just Natures Way.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:55 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

I have stopped my dogs from chasing and killing lizards, once they understand that any thing that crawls is not to be messed with they will be wary of snakes.............mm
Problem is the snakes may be chasing them not the other way around.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Talking of snakes did anyone read this??I don`t know that I`d be taking photos of the thing just after it swallowed the family pet!!
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...008620,00.html
This is an Amethystine Python, a common species around Cairns. My workmate's cat suffered the same fate recently by the same species of snake!

Personally I'd much rather have the snake in my garden than the bloody cat...

Last edited by tonyk38; Nov 21st 2007 at 3:38 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, and the head stays alive for hours after it has been chopped off, so a) it could still potentially bite, and b) it dies a slow lingering death.

The reason killing snakes is illegal is simple. They are an essential part of any ecosystem and particulary so in Aus which has some of the highest reptilian diversity on earth (nearly 1000 species).

Many snake species are in trouble and the wildlife rescue peeps I know here in Cairns are sick of folks molesting a 'brown' snake which far more often than not turns out to be a harmless or inoffensive species...
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by annqldau
Problem is the snakes may be chasing them not the other way around.
Most of the snakes we get are the fast moving eastern brown snake, every one i have seen has been in a big hurry to get away, and as long as you dont try and stop them they are not a problem..........mm
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:09 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the snakes we get are the fast moving eastern brown snake, every one i have seen has been in a big hurry to get away, and as long as you dont try and stop them they are not a problem..........mm
Going the other way is good, otherwise carry your black and decker rechargeable hand held...
Old Nov 28th 2007, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Does it get any worse I ask myself?? now I have just found a scorpion (baby) in my bedroom? please tell me I am just having a run of bad luck or I am the next "queen of the jungle" I live in a really nice suburb not the outback what is going on here?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:14 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a really nice suburb not the outback what is going on here?
So does its mom & dad .... welcome to Australia
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:43 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

SIL killed a dugite on the front steps last weeK! These are seriously nasty and particularly dangerous to have around a 12 month old who's into exploring anything that moves!
I was interested in the comment about using the herb fennel to deter them. Is the herb grown or seeds sprinkled?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:21 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheCrone
SIL killed a dugite on the front steps last weeK! These are seriously nasty and particularly dangerous to have around a 12 month old who's into exploring anything that moves!
I was interested in the comment about using the herb fennel to deter them. Is the herb grown or seeds sprinkled?
I wouldnt be shouting that from the rooftops...it is a protected species..minimum $4000 fine for killin the buggas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.