Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snake bite emergency action

Snake bite emergency action

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

imranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snake bite emergency action

Originally Posted by commonwealth
excuse me? one-eyed snakes are loveable pets and fun to play with.

i might be gay...
Snakes are never lovable. They can go mad anytime.
Yes you are right about yourself. (make fun with them)
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Ive got my snake bite bandages in the back of my car
Me too.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:38 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Me too.
I cant fit much in the back of my Yaris so I get the important animal type stuff in first, much to Mr PPs horror, which means he does the shopping.

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:36 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Utter bollocks, we have snakes outside/inside our facility in Summer time and they are not always easy to spot and our workers do are not idiots that pick them up either, they have found them in their shoes, in the workshop and outside and have been taken by surprise by finding them which in turn will frighten the snake into striking.

l guess thats Perth, l've never seen any snakes in Melbourne except the Zoo
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

This link may be useful:

http://www.avru.org/firstaid/firstaid_pib.html
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:52 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imranprogrammer
Yes you are right about yourself. (make fun with them)
but i'm really gay!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

imranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond reputeimranprogrammer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
but i'm really gay!
When you came to know that.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:32 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Ok after much talk of snakes lately it got me to realising that other than staying calm and still I really don't know what to do if I or someone I am with is bitten by a snake. Do we have any experts out there?
Get one of these. Very effective for emergencies .

** I should add that this should only be used for snake bite emergencies where rapid access to medical assistance is unavailable **

Last edited by paulry; Sep 23rd 2010 at 3:57 pm. Reason: Words of caution
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulry
Get one of these. Very effective for emergencies .

** I should add that this should only be used for snake bite emergencies where rapid access to medical assistance is unavailable **
These are not effective or recommeded for use in snake bite. There has been plenty of research undertaken in these vaccum pumps, and they are not to be used. We are lucky here in Australia in that all snake bites receive the same first aid procedures, pressure bandage and imobilisation.

John
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

regarding the trouser snake i have found that if it becomes aggressive then a little tickle in the lower region near where it begins to bulge tend to calm it right down until it is totaly charmed

I once read about a guy who was a worker in the outback so very respectful of the wildlife he would come up against, he was bitten by whatever snake it was and was going to die and he knew it, he had joint in his first aid kit and lay down to die near the road as it was in the middle of nowhere and he knew that if he tried to drive he would be dead before he got anywhere,

a while later(fate, karma luck who cares) a car past him took him to hospital and he was fine after getting the anti venom, they told him it was the marijuana that saved his life because he slowed his heart rate right down and chilled him out so much it stopped the venom from travelling round his body to quickly!!!!

so for me living in Cairns i have insisted on having that joint in the first aid kit just in case
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pink13
"they told him it was the marijuana that saved his life because he slowed his heart rate right down and chilled him out so much it stopped the venom from travelling round his body to quickly!!!!

so for me living in Cairns i have insisted on having that joint in the first aid kit just in case"

Old Sep 24th 2010, 6:14 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_R
These are not effective or recommeded for use in snake bite. There has been plenty of research undertaken in these vaccum pumps, and they are not to be used. We are lucky here in Australia in that all snake bites receive the same first aid procedures, pressure bandage and imobilisation.

John
Not sure. I'll have to find out more when time permits. In any case I would take the kit along just in case when bushwalking - expecially in remote areas. But so far I've only had cause to use it for a bee sting and that time it proved very effective. It removed the venom as well as the sting from the sole of my foot. The relief was immediate, It felt like I'd not been stung.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulry
Not sure. I'll have to find out more when time permits. In any case I would take the kit along just in case when bushwalking - expecially in remote areas. But so far I've only had cause to use it for a bee sting and that time it proved very effective. It removed the venom as well as the sting from the sole of my foot. The relief was immediate, It felt like I'd not been stung.
Hi Mate, I'm not trying to be anal but just don't want people to get the wrong impression with these suction units. And please bear in mind insect bites/stings are different to snake bite.

Below is an abstract of one paper, the author Dr S Bush (Venom ER)

Snakebite suction devices don't remove venom: They just suck
Sean P Bush
Annals of Emergency Medicine February 2004 (Vol. 43, Issue 2, Pages 187-188)

Study objective
We determine the percentage of mock venom recovered by a suction device (Sawyer Extractor pump) in a simulated snakebite in human volunteers.

Methods
A mock venom (1 mL normal saline solution, 5.0 mg albumin, 2.5 mg aggregated albumin) radioactively labeled with 1 mCi of technetium was injected with a curved 16-gauge hypodermic needle 1 cm into the right lateral lower leg of 8 supine male volunteers aged 28 to 51 years. The Sawyer Extractor pump was applied after a 3-minute delay, and the blood removed by suction was collected after an additional 15 minutes. A 1991 Siemens Diacam was used to take measurements of the radioactive counts extracted and those remaining in the leg and body.

Results
The “envenomation load,” as measured by mean radioactivity in the leg after injection, was 89,895 counts/min. The mean radioactivity found in the blood extracted in the 15 minutes of suction was 38.5 counts/min (95% confidence interval [CI] −33 to 110 counts/min), representing 0.04% of the envenomation load. The postextraction leg count was less than the envenomation load by 1,832 counts/min (95% CI −3,863 to 200 counts/min), representing a 2.0% decrease in the total body venom load.

Conclusion
The Sawyer Extractor pump removed bloody fluid from our simulated snakebite wounds but removed virtually no mock venom, which suggests that suction is unlikely to be an effective treatment for reducing the total body venom burden after a venomous snakebite.

Don't be offended, I just think good, sound advice should be given when possible.

John
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:21 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Snake bite emergency action?

In the event of getting of your head, just start drinking either lager or cider, but not together.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by John_R
Hi Mate, I'm not trying to be anal but just don't want people to get the wrong impression with these suction units. And please bear in mind insect bites/stings are different to snake bite.

Below is an abstract of one paper, the author Dr S Bush (Venom ER)

Snakebite suction devices don't remove venom: They just suck
Sean P Bush
Annals of Emergency Medicine February 2004 (Vol. 43, Issue 2, Pages 187-188)

Study objective
We determine the percentage of mock venom recovered by a suction device (Sawyer Extractor pump) in a simulated snakebite in human volunteers.

Methods
A mock venom (1 mL normal saline solution, 5.0 mg albumin, 2.5 mg aggregated albumin) radioactively labeled with 1 mCi of technetium was injected with a curved 16-gauge hypodermic needle 1 cm into the right lateral lower leg of 8 supine male volunteers aged 28 to 51 years. The Sawyer Extractor pump was applied after a 3-minute delay, and the blood removed by suction was collected after an additional 15 minutes. A 1991 Siemens Diacam was used to take measurements of the radioactive counts extracted and those remaining in the leg and body.

Results
The “envenomation load,” as measured by mean radioactivity in the leg after injection, was 89,895 counts/min. The mean radioactivity found in the blood extracted in the 15 minutes of suction was 38.5 counts/min (95% confidence interval [CI] −33 to 110 counts/min), representing 0.04% of the envenomation load. The postextraction leg count was less than the envenomation load by 1,832 counts/min (95% CI −3,863 to 200 counts/min), representing a 2.0% decrease in the total body venom load.

Conclusion
The Sawyer Extractor pump removed bloody fluid from our simulated snakebite wounds but removed virtually no mock venom, which suggests that suction is unlikely to be an effective treatment for reducing the total body venom burden after a venomous snakebite.

Don't be offended, I just think good, sound advice should be given when possible.

John
Thanks a lot for that John. I'm convinced. 'Will rely on it to deal with insect bites only from here on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.