British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Snake bite emergency action (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/snake-bite-emergency-action-686318/)

daunted Sep 21st 2010 10:54 am

Snake bite emergency action

Ok after much talk of snakes lately it got me to realising that other than staying calm and still I really don't know what to do if I or someone I am with is bitten by a snake. Do we have any experts out there?

Dorothy Sep 21st 2010 11:10 am

Re: Snake bite emergency action

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 8864485)
Ok after much talk of snakes lately it got me to realising that other than staying calm and still I really don't know what to do if I or someone I am with is bitten by a snake. Do we have any experts out there?

Get them to a hospital. Stat. Try to take a photo of the snake if you can so they can identify it (unless you know what type it is).

asprilla Sep 21st 2010 11:17 am

I'm not an expert but this is what you do if it is a dangerous snake bite (anyone else who reads this - correct me if I'm wrong).

- don't go near the snake or try to kill it... step away and leave it alone.
- call 000
- get the patient to sit / lie down, get them comfortable and make sure they are as relaxed as possible.
- don't wash the bite.
- wrap the affected limb, the whole limb, in a stretch bandage. Don't wrap it too tightly... very important. Just wrap it like you would wrap a sprained ankle..a bit firmly....the whole limb. Don't wrap it as if you're trying to restrict blood flow.
- no food or drink.

asprilla Sep 21st 2010 11:26 am

http://www.outback-australia-travel-...us_snakes.html

have a read of the above. Basically it says that if you are a woman, you don't get drunk, you wear shoes when out in snake country, and you don't try to pick up snakes....then you'll be fine !

Just beware of the trouser snakes though, and you'll be fine.

Dorothy Sep 21st 2010 11:44 am

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 8864575)
http://www.outback-australia-travel-...us_snakes.html

have a read of the above. Basically it says that if you are a woman, you don't get drunk, you wear shoes when out in snake country, and you don't try to pick up snakes....then you'll be fine !

Just beware of the trouser snakes though, and you'll be fine.

Trouser snakes should be shot if possible. If no gun is handy then kill it by chopping it's head off with a sharp axe or large knife. Whatever you do, never never let one get near you.

Pollyana Sep 21st 2010 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8864626)
Trouser snakes should be shot if possible. If no gun is handy then kill it by chopping it's head off with a sharp axe or large knife. Whatever you do, never never let one get near you.

Sounds like good advice to me :thumbup:

el_diablo_1983 Sep 21st 2010 12:32 pm

The same question regarding snake bites, but with regards to dogs...I have two labradors, which if we make the move will be coming with us.

I have a great fear of spiders:eek: (no living creature needs more than four legs), but more so for the dogs also.;)

daunted Sep 21st 2010 12:36 pm

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: wish i knew the info about trouser snakes many years ago!
on a serious note thanks :thumbsup::wub:

John_R Sep 21st 2010 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8864527)
Get them to a hospital. Stat. Try to take a photo of the snake if you can so they can identify it (unless you know what type it is).

There is no need to try and identify the snake here in Australia, mobile phone photo's are of poor quality to aid in scale counts etc. Upon arrival in the hospital, the bite area will be swabbed and put into a bite detection kit, which will then identify the group of snakes that maybe involved in the bite and therefore the use of the appropriate antivenom, if required.

John

mr mover Sep 21st 2010 1:09 pm

Whats the female version of a Misogynist called ..??.........:thumbup:MM

Bibbs Sep 21st 2010 1:42 pm

But if you do get the venom in you, the swelling that follows goes down in around 9 months.

Then it gets expensive.

And noisy/smelly.

Pollyana Sep 21st 2010 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by mr mover (Post 8864849)

A wife? :sneaky:

Sherlock Holmes Sep 21st 2010 2:04 pm

A snake charmer.

quoll Sep 21st 2010 8:09 pm

Misandrist actually but I prefer snake charmer LOL

MrsE Sep 21st 2010 8:18 pm

Fab thread!!!!!!! lol :rofl: