Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skype interview for job in Perth

Skype interview for job in Perth

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

maidstone steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Skype interview for job in Perth

Hi everyone, I have to have a skype interview in 2 weeks time for a construction job in Perth which if all go's well I will be offered the job, I'm married and have 2 kids 12 and 9. can anyone advise me in what I would need to do in regard to where to start!! if I get the job a bit confused there seems so much to do , do I need a visa? my family what visa's do they need?, were is a good school in perth? is rental of $650 - $700 pw for a house would that get me a nice house furnished in Perth? whats a good area to live? are the aussies friendly neighbours or are they like bloody brits!!
If anyone could help I would be grateful
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Boo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really nice
Default Re: Skype interview for job in Perth

Originally Posted by maidstone steve
Hi everyone, I have to have a skype interview in 2 weeks time for a construction job in Perth which if all go's well I will be offered the job, I'm married and have 2 kids 12 and 9. can anyone advise me in what I would need to do in regard to where to start!! if I get the job a bit confused there seems so much to do , do I need a visa? my family what visa's do they need?, were is a good school in perth? is rental of $650 - $700 pw for a house would that get me a nice house furnished in Perth? whats a good area to live? are the aussies friendly neighbours or are they like bloody brits!!
If anyone could help I would be grateful
Hi Steve,

I'm assuming if your being interviewed for a job your potential employers will be aware you do not currently have a visa and advise you appropriately. Sounds like a employer sponsored or temp business visa route which they will probably organise for you and your family

As for schools and the like -sorry but I'm clueless. Loads of posts on here about those topics though so just have a search about and you'll find plenty!

Finally - are the aussies friendly neighbours??!! Are YOU a friendly neighbour? If yes then you'll probably have your answer....if not well.....

Boo
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I'm very friendly thanks never been to Aus before so a bit worried hopefully they would sponser me and the family, what about the areas to move too does anybody no whats a good area to locate to?
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good areas to choose from, but furnished rentals are not that common - more likely to find a unit (flat/apartment) than a house. Talk to your prospective employer about whether they are providing relocation package, or any other benefits, such as short-term accommodation when you get here, while you get a longer-term rental sorted out. Also search on BE for LAFHA (Living Away From Home Allowance) and ask the company about it.

When it comes to schools, the main issue is a high school for your 12 year old, although they may still be in primary here. If he/she was born between 1 July 1998 to 30 June 1999, they would be currently be in Year 7 here, which is the last year of primary in state schools (private schools start high school in Year 7, just to confuse you). If born 1 July 1999 to 30 June 2000, they will currently be in Year 6. Sometimes children are allowed to start high school (or primary) earlier, if they have higher level abilities.

It is easier to find a reasonable or good primary school, than it is to find a good high school. Do you know which part of Perth you would be working in, and would you want/need to drive to get there? There are loads of threads on BE about Perth suburbs, it is a large city and we need a bit more info to go on.

When are you planning to move here?

PS: good and bad neighbours everywhere, some friendly, some not
Old Oct 9th 2011, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

At this interview if everything is ok what should I ask about visa's? And how long should it take to arrange to go?
Thanks all
Old Oct 9th 2011, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

The better employers employ Australian based agents who will know exactly what to do and who will lead you through the process (at their expense). So hopefully this is the case for you.

I would expect them to volunteer that information but of course if the subject hasn't come up when they ask you for questions, then of course you need to ask...you can't get here otherwise!

Good Luck!
Old Oct 10th 2011, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maidstone steve
At this interview if everything is ok what should I ask about visa's? And how long should it take to arrange to go?
Thanks all
You would need to verify that they are willing to sponsor you. Do they know this already? Well as you are overseas they might be expecting it.

How long it takes varies a lot, could be a few weeks to a few months for the temporary employer sponsored visa.