Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skype & Broadband

Skype & Broadband

Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:44 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all
Default Skype & Broadband

Ok, so I have been doing some research for various broadband suppliers and TPG unlimited dont offer in my area (St Ives in Sydney is too far from the exchange) So with this in mind and we want to use Skype quite a lot and the capped broadband usage policies that seem to limit us a lot, can anyone recommend broadband for this usage (It would be really helpfull if you live in the St Ives area.

Cheers
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:57 pm
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all
Default Bradband in the St Ives area

HELP!!! I have contacted a number of suppliers and I have been told that I cannot get broadband access. I’m in bleeding St Ives for goodness sake!!! Anyone living in St Ives having similar issues or even better have broadband connection with a reputable company.

Cheers

Edit: Title should read Broadband
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Tracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Skype & Broadband

Sorry cant help with the area - but for an ISP, I would highly recommend Internode - they are excellent!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with area specific advice but we use Telstra's 3G Wireless Broadband and it's excellent - we have a set plan and once we're up to our allowance (which hardly ever happens now) we're shaped so on go slow but no extra charges.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

internode and iinet are both excellent, telstra are aweful

Regardless of which you go for you will be able to use skype and it doesnt take up much data usage.

I have the 200gb naked plan from iinet myself
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Tracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dave99
internode and iinet are both excellent, telstra are aweful
Agreed, however Telstra 3G mobile Broadband does give the best speeds and coverage. Their mobile infrastructure is the best - despite them being a nightmare to deal with.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:38 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know your phone number, so I've just gone to google maps and taken the number of a business in st ives... the old school trattoria.

Then I plug in the phone number here:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

It tells me the following info:
Your telephone line is connected to the Pymble exchange.
This exchange has been enabled for ADSL service.
In terms of pricing, Pymble is classed as Zone 1 (Metro).
This exchange has been enabled for ADSL2+ service by Primus ADSL2+.

Click here to list ISP services that use Primus ADSL2+ DSLAMs.

This exchange has been enabled for ADSL2+ service by Optus.

Click here to list ISP services that use Optus DSLAMs.

This exchange has been enabled for ADSL2+ service by Telstra ADSL2+.

Click here to list ISP services that use Telstra ADSL2+ DSLAMs.

This exchange has been enabled for ADSL2+ service by TPG.

Click here to list ISP services that use TPG DSLAMs.

This exchange has been enabled for ADSL2+ service by Agile.

Click here to list ISP services that use Agile DSLAMs.

This exchange has been enabled for ADSL2+ service by BroadbandNext.

Click here to list ISP services that use BroadbandNext DSLAMs.

This exchange has been enabled for ADSL2+ service by PowerTel / iiNet.

Click here to list ISP services that use PowerTel / iiNet DSLAMs.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by asprilla
I don't know your phone number, so I've just gone to google maps and taken the number of a business in st ives... the old school trattoria.

Then I plug in the phone number here:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

It tells me the following info:
Thanks for your help. Spoke to Optus and Telstra and they both tell me th esame that cable not available. ADSL may be available through Telstra but they cannot tell until I get a phone line.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 10:00 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
Thanks for your help. Spoke to Optus and Telstra and they both tell me th esame that cable not available. ADSL may be available through Telstra but they cannot tell until I get a phone line.
ah..

There's a bit of a misunderstanding going on, I think.

cable is a type of broadband access, pretty fast and usually very reliable. Pricy too.

most people get their broadband via ADSL or ADSL2+.

Stop asking for cable broadband, and you'll be fine !!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 11:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by asprilla
ah..

There's a bit of a misunderstanding going on, I think.

cable is a type of broadband access, pretty fast and usually very reliable. Pricy too.

most people get their broadband via ADSL or ADSL2+.

Stop asking for cable broadband, and you'll be fine !!
I am not asking for cable. I am too far from the exchange for ADSL and therefore nothing available. I am looking at alternatives.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:56 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
I am not asking for cable. I am too far from the exchange for ADSL and therefore nothing available. I am looking at alternatives.
MrJenkins, hopefully this thread will provide you with further info.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/645613

Look at the final post of the thread.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Can understand your frustration! though we not in your neck of the woods we have spent 3 years trying to get ADSL broadband, primarily so we could use skype effectively!! they kept telling me i couldnt get it and it wasnt until i rang and lodged an official complaint that hey ho all of a sudden WE GOT IT!!! Had to ring every week for a month but eventually they started calling me back and i couldnt fault their assistance in gettin it all sorted asap (and that is from some one that really doesnt like Helstra very much at all) Keep at em!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

If you are renting then it might be worth asking the agents what the previous tenants did for internet access?

You could look into mobile broadband but I don't know enough about it to recommend one company/plan over another.