Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving back to debt in uk...Help!

Moving back to debt in uk...Help!

Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:05 am
Account Closed

LeeLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to debt in uk...Help!

Hi all,

I've been reading through a lot of the 'debt' threads and just need a little help on what options i have for when i move back to the uk.

My fiance and i have been hear for over a year and a half and have made the decision to move back to the uk in July this year.

The problem is...

a) I left a credit card debt of about 6k in the uk and haven't made a payment since i've been here. I did consolidate the debt with a company that stops the interest etc a few months before we left(if that makes any difference.

b) I left no money in my bank account and after a couple of months an annual debit from the AA(car recovery) came from my account as i forgot to tell the AA i wouldn't like to renew mymembership. Any way, the debit was refused and the bank charged me, and because they charged the account and there was no money in there then they charged me more. This charge as i looked around july of last year(internet banking) had risen to around £400!!
(haven't looked since).

I'd like to go back and make amends by paying what i owe and will be returning with around £10,000. The things that are worrying me are:

What problems will i face when returning to the uk?

Has the debt increased massively because of interest over the period i've been here?

Am i going to struggle to obtain a bank account if the bank aren't willing to budge on these charges?

Please only comment if you have constructive advice. As you can appreciate i'm not really in the mood to be told 'You shouldn't have left debt behind in the first place'! I was 22 when i came out on a residency visa and am now 24 and have realised i need to face up to my problems instead of running as i did previously.

Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:08 am
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving back to debt in uk...Help!

Originally Posted by LeeLee
Hi all,

I've been reading through a lot of the 'debt' threads and just need a little help on what options i have for when i move back to the uk.

My fiance and i have been hear for over a year and a half and have made the decision to move back to the uk in July this year.

The problem is...

a) I left a credit card debt of about 6k in the uk and haven't made a payment since i've been here. I did consolidate the debt with a company that stops the interest etc a few months before we left(if that makes any difference.

b) I left no money in my bank account and after a couple of months an annual debit from the AA(car recovery) came from my account as i forgot to tell the AA i wouldn't like to renew mymembership. Any way, the debit was refused and the bank charged me, and because they charged the account and there was no money in there then they charged me more. This charge as i looked around july of last year(internet banking) had risen to around £400!!
(haven't looked since).

I'd like to go back and make amends by paying what i owe and will be returning with around £10,000. The things that are worrying me are:

What problems will i face when returning to the uk?

Has the debt increased massively because of interest over the period i've been here?

Am i going to struggle to obtain a bank account if the bank aren't willing to budge on these charges?

Please only comment if you have constructive advice. As you can appreciate i'm not really in the mood to be told 'You shouldn't have left debt behind in the first place'! I was 22 when i came out on a residency visa and am now 24 and have realised i need to face up to my problems instead of running as i did previously.

Thanks
You shouldn't have left debt behind in the first place.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Speak to them, tell them the situation and offer to pay it all off at a certain amount of pounds a week until it's paid. As long as you are paying something, they can't do anything to you.

With the bank fees, take a look here, write them a letter ( See here ) and see if you can get the debt quashed or reduced. Then do the same with them.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1
You shouldn't have left debt behind in the first place.
Congrats...only took about a min for someone to write that!

Now we've got it out the way....any advice?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:13 am
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Congrats...only took about a min for someone to write that!

Now we've got it out the way....any advice?
Pay off your debt?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
Speak to them, tell them the situation and offer to pay it all off at a certain amount of pounds a week until it's paid. As long as you are paying something, they can't do anything to you.

With the bank fees, take a look here, write them a letter ( See here ) and see if you can get the debt quashed or reduced. Then do the same with them.
Thanks for that.

Is there a chance i will just pay off what i owed before i left or will it be considerably more due to the length of time i've been away?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:18 am
Account Closed

Pay off your debt?
Listen casual.. It maybe quite funny to write a few rubbish comments but if you have nothing worth reading then please leave the thread. ta
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:21 am
Banned

Listen casual.. It maybe quite funny to write a few rubbish comments but if you have nothing worth reading then please leave the thread. ta
Listen, LeeLee. My honest opinion is that you should have paid your debts off rather than running away from them. I have a student loan in excess of 10K that I would rather not pay back. But it's my debt and I am paying it back.

How did you manage to run up 6K on a credit card at only 22?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.

Is there a chance i will just pay off what i owed before i left or will it be considerably more due to the length of time i've been away?
The debt could well have been sold on by now and my guess is that they will be more likely to want you to settle than they will be about chasing any incremental charges.

They will track you down, so I wouldn't try to avoid it. I'd probably wait for them to contact you and then make a "full and final settlement" offer. They would probably bite your hand off.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:26 am
Account Closed

Listen, LeeLee. My honest opinion is that you should have paid your debts off rather than running away from them. I have a student loan in excess of 10K that I would rather not pay back. But it's my debt and I am paying it back.

How did you manage to run up 6K on a credit card at only 22?
I ran almost 2 years ago granted. The first step surely is facing it and trying to find help and advice. Out of the 36 posts you have written, 4 have been on this thread and completely useless. If you don't like the fact someone ran away from a debt then i suggest you take your comments elsewhere.

It's really annoying for someone tofind out genuine information and get pig ignorant,never made a mistake types making shitty comments!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:29 am
Banned

I ran almost 2 years ago granted. The first step surely is facing it and trying to find help and advice. Out of the 36 posts you have written, 4 have been on this thread and completely useless. If you don't like the fact someone ran away from a debt then i suggest you take your comments elsewhere.

It's really annoying for someone tofind out genuine information and get pig ignorant,never made a mistake types making shitty comments!
It's a message board and I can comment how I like. I haven't broken any site rules or have I been abusive or offensive. Unlike you.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The debt could well have been sold on by now and my guess is that they will be more likely to want you to settle than they will be about chasing any incremental charges.

They will track you down, so I wouldn't try to avoid it. I'd probably wait for them to contact you and then make a "full and final settlement" offer. They would probably bite your hand off.
Cheers.

Do you know what happens after the debt is payed? Does it stay on a recordthat i didn't pay for x amount of months? I know my credit rating will be poor but how long does it take to rebulid a rating to a good enough standard?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:36 am
Banned

Cheers.

Do you know what happens after the debt is payed? Does it stay on a recordthat i didn't pay for x amount of months? I know my credit rating will be poor but how long does it take to rebulid a rating to a good enough standard?
I would assume you will have defaults on your credit rating showing which payments you have defaulted on. Sometimes if the debt is paid these defaults can be removed from your credit rating.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:36 am
Account Closed

It's a message board and I can comment how I like. I haven't broken any site rules or have I been abusive or offensive. Unlike you.
I don't think it's any of your business how i ran up my debt and find you to be a very rude person. If you were face to face with me then i'm sure your manors will be where they should be...hiding behind a computer screen isn't exactly brave!!!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:41 am
Banned

I don't think it's any of your business how i ran up my debt and find you to be a very rude person. If you were face to face with me then i'm sure your manors will be where they should be...hiding behind a computer screen isn't exactly brave!!!
I was only asking. 6K seems a lot of money for a 22 year old that's all.

I am happy to meet you and show you around my 'manors'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.