Reload this Page >

Skilled migration work experience

Skilled migration work experience

Old Apr 29th 2003, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

surfmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Skilled migration work experience

Hi there, I'm new

I'm desperate to emigrate to Australia after University, and I've been studying the ways to do it.

It seems for skilled migration, I think 2 out of the past 3 years must be work experience.

Does anyone know if a University degree counts toward this or does it have to be separate, in addition to that?

Thank You!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i am in a similar position to you. I am about to finish a three year degree (June 03). i think the length of work experience depends on your qualification, but it usually means Post Graduate.
What are you studying? I was initially applying for a skilled migration visa, but would of have to have had 2 yrs post qual experience (social work) but i am now going the skilled area designated sponsorship route, as my husband has family in Canberra and they are sponsoring us. I only need 6 months experience now and will apply in Dec 03.

hope this helps

Cheers Ellen
Old Apr 29th 2003, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Emme is an unknown quantity at this point

I was successful second time round having failed my first application! I heard I'd been given residency a month ago and I've had to work for it! You must have relevent work experience...not at university! I had to have worked 12 out of 18 months before I applied....I had woked in teaching for 2 years then went to Australia for 12 months and applied when I got home. I consequently was refused my visa because the year out in Australia should have been work experience! I then had to start work again and reapply after a year !!!!

There's really no way round it...Work experience is exactly what they want! University is NOT actual work experience! I suggest you consult an immigration solicitor for advice before you make any final decision!

GOOD LUCK

Emmé
Old Apr 30th 2003, 11:16 am
Just Joined

surfmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice.

I thought I'd have to have work experience- just checking if there were any way i coulod leave the country sooner!

I'm studying Computer Animation- not sure about the demand for animators but it is on the list of occupations and gets 50 points.

Oh well, here's hoping
Old May 2nd 2003, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

sanepa is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the process of making my application and saw your post. I am in a similar postion too and have been doing my PhD for the last 3 years under a paid scholarship programme. Does that count towards work experience?
Old May 2nd 2003, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sanepa
I am in the process of making my application and saw your post. I am in a similar postion too and have been doing my PhD for the last 3 years under a paid scholarship programme. Does that count towards work experience?
Have you sampled the jobs scene for PhDs where you plan to emigrate? I would very much urge you to do so before going any further with your plans. You may find that your PhD is actually a hinderance to getting employment rather than an advantage. This certainly seems to be the case in NZ and may well be so in Australia.

There may be little demand for the advanced research and writing skills you will have to offer and unemployment at the start of your career may be very depressing for you and make your CV less than it should be.

If you are hoping for an academic career, I hope you try to get something sorted out before going over - using people networks - cos you may find that locals will beat you every time in the applications process.

May I also urge you to avoid becoming a postdoc for too long if that seems tempting to you - it is an exploitative con that keeps tenured academics in their jobs and gives you a lot less than you might think, and if you are not one of the VERY few who get a permanent academic job afterwards, you will just have wasted your time.

Apologies if all this is old news to you, I do not wish to patronise, but if you think I am talking a load of bull just do a google search on "postdoc unemployment" or similar and start reading the many and varied tales of woe that you will find.

What was your PhD in?

Sincerely, good luck.