Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ski advice/tips appreciated

Ski advice/tips appreciated

Old Jun 20th 2006, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ski advice/tips appreciated

Apparently I've agreed to head off to the Victorian wilderness some time in the next 6 weeks and go ski-ing with the family (it's amazing what you agree to whilst slightly pished, watching the World Cup).

Would greatly appreciate any advice, hints, tips etc. We'll be taking a 4 year old and 6 year old who have never been skiing. And I've only tried it once - badly.

Which resort ? Stay on or off resort ? Hire equipment or buy ? How long should we stay - probably only have a maximum of 4 days anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 5:32 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ski advice/tips appreciated

Less selective! commercial and possibly more boring than the known big resorts of Peresher and Thredbo is Mount Selwyn.

But for us where costs are a factor it was really good, plus for first timers my hubby and two kids 12 and 15 at the time they loved it. It has simpler slopes and they had a fanastic time, at the end of the three days the kids where coming off the bigger runs but hubby didn't make it that far

I was not on this quick break but cannot believe how much the normally fussy lot raved about it all, they didn't feel out of their depths as beginners at all.

Cheers
Old Jun 20th 2006, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I'd echo Sandra's comments about Mount Selwyn.

We've been there a few times with our kids and it's a fantastic place for beginners and families. It's not the slightest bit intimidating (or trendy!) and it's not a rip-off either. Lift tickets are less than all the other NSW resorts.
It's a bit like our local park - full of families with eskies, sitting at picnic tables having a BYO lunch. And it's so friendly - lift operators won't bat an eyelid if it takes you half a dozen attempts to get the kids on the t-bar.

The thing I really liked was that no-one looked twice at me in my 20-year-old bib and brace outfit

It's a great place for a weekend skiing - any longer than that and you've done all the runs 10 times.

Probably not much good if you're coming from Melbourne - but why not check out the smaller, family resorts in Victoria.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 5:58 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

My tip is to forget Aussie snowfields and head to NZ. Cheaper AND better (has cost me less for 12 days including a flight to NZ, staying in a one bedroom apartment than I could find staying down in the Aussie skifields in a backpackers!!).
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:24 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Apparently I've agreed to head off to the Victorian wilderness some time in the next 6 weeks and go ski-ing with the family (it's amazing what you agree to whilst slightly pished, watching the World Cup).

Would greatly appreciate any advice, hints, tips etc. We'll be taking a 4 year old and 6 year old who have never been skiing. And I've only tried it once - badly.

Which resort ? Stay on or off resort ? Hire equipment or buy ? How long should we stay - probably only have a maximum of 4 days anyway.

Thanks in advance.
I'd go to Baw Baw if I were you. It's great for beginners and children and is one of the closest to Melbourne.

They have great a toboggan run if the kids don't like the skiing. The beginner's slope has a conveyor belt (really easy) to get you up the slope. There is also a snow chute there but it's not open every day.

Here's a useful site http://www.ski.com.au/resorts/
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:31 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Like you I am off to the ski fields on Sunday - taking the 'boy' for 5days, snow permitting! I wouldn't bother buying the clothes if you have never been before. I would do what we are doing and hire them. We have gone to a place on the Nepean just before the South Road turning heading towards town. Went to look at a few places and their clothing seemed the best - better choice and clean!

We are hiring the boots, skis etc when we get up to Hotham - part of the package including 5 2 hour lessons.

btw - package not too bad but noticed that we have to pay something like $28 a day for the car on Hotham plus $9 per person (well that is how it read) so that is nearly another $250. I must have got this wrong - seems a bit steep!

Last edited by Vanessa; Jun 20th 2006 at 7:34 am.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Like you I am off to the ski fields on Sunday - taking the 'boy' for 5days, snow permitting! I wouldn't bother buying the clothes if you have never been before. I would do what we are doing and hire them. We have gone to a place on the Nepean just before the South Road turning heading towards town. Went to look at a few places and their clothing seemed the best - better choice and clean!

We are hiring the boots, skis etc when we get up to Hotham - part of the package including 5 2 hour lessons.

btw - package not too bad but noticed that we have to pay something like $28 a day for the car on Hotham plus $9 per person (well that is how it read) so that is nearly another $250. I must have got this wrong - seems a bit steep!
Many thanks all for the advice.

Where in Beauy are you Vanessa ? We're down off Tramway Parade near the beach.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:26 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice guys - we're planning a trip in mid-August and Mount Selwyn sounds ideal - particularly since it's not too mad a drive from us.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:31 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Thanks for the advice guys - we're planning a trip in mid-August and Mount Selwyn sounds ideal - particularly since it's not too mad a drive from us.
Hutch are you also "haggis supper"?

Think we also may be off to the snow. How far in driving is this "Mount Selwyn"?

Kiwi
Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:29 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Many thanks all for the advice.

Where in Beauy are you Vanessa ? We're down off Tramway Parade near the beach.
Just round the corner from you then - we are in Cromer Road near the beach.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Just round the corner from you then - we are in Cromer Road near the beach.
I'll make sure that I slow down when I head of to the shops round that way !