Sizes in Oz

Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:01 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sizes in Oz

Can anyone tell me how garment sizes in Oz compare to the UK please? I've found out that Oz shoe sizes are the same as UK + 1, but what about clothing? Went to get dd a dress yesterday and she ended up needing a 10, but I think that is *size* 10 aot 10-year-old. I've always bought her clothes by age rather than size in the UK and now not sure what size to look for as she's a very tall (just) 8-year-old.

Also adult sizes - how do ladies' 16 and 18 compare?

Thanks.

Sue
Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:04 am
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sizes in Oz

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Can anyone tell me how garment sizes in Oz compare to the UK please? I've found out that Oz shoe sizes are the same as UK + 1, but what about clothing? Went to get dd a dress yesterday and she ended up needing a 10, but I think that is *size* 10 aot 10-year-old. I've always bought her clothes by age rather than size in the UK and now not sure what size to look for as she's a very tall (just) 8-year-old.

Thanks.

Sue
I was a size 12 on arrival. I have only bought one jumper here, a Billabong one and i had to buy a size 14, so i reckon they must be a size higher here .....well that's what i am trying to convince myself
Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:13 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Thanks.

Sue
Hi Sue
I have been here a year abd am still trying to work out the clothing. Is it me or is everything miles bigger. In the UK I was a 10, sometimes a 12. Here the 10's can be huge on me and I have bought the odd size 8 (me an 8 ?!!! IMPOSSIBLE) and have even tried on a 6 (albeit too tight).
Went for a bra fitting last week to try and get the bra thing right but they said it wasn't worth it and just better to try a few on as they all came up differently.

In any case, I feel happy in the fact that a size 10 here may still be loose on me (though secretly I know the scales have not changed! )
Good luck
Sarah
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:11 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Sizes in Oz

I'm a bloke, and have found that UK & Aussie sizes are identical for men.

But hey, women's clothes... deep, mysterious waters there! :scared:
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

elaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant future

Yes, I think you will find that a UK 12 is an Aussie 10, so you can go down one size without dieting Yipeee!!

Elaine xxx
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:19 am
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by elaine&graham
Yes, I think you will find that a UK 12 is an Aussie 10, so you can go down one size without dieting Yipeee!!

Elaine xxx
GULP :scared:
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Down a size for ladies clothes ie 16 in UK then 14 here. Up two sizes for ladies shoes ie 7 in UK then 9 in Oz. Bra sizes are your clothes size plus whatever cup. Kids clothing goes by age, usually. Men stay the same for shoes and clothes - typical, dont like to make things difficult for men
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:30 am
Back in Uk and loving it

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
Down a size for ladies clothes ie 16 in UK then 14 here. Up two sizes for ladies shoes ie 7 in UK then 9 in Oz. Bra sizes are your clothes size plus whatever cup. Kids clothing goes by age, usually. Men stay the same for shoes and clothes - typical, dont like to make things difficult for men
Somebody please tell me this doesn't apply to Billabong ???
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:03 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'm a bloke, and have found that UK & Aussie sizes are identical for men.

But hey, women's clothes... deep, mysterious waters there! :scared:
Haven't you got something better to do than haunt ladies' clothes? You're getting married the day after tomorrow, aren't you? (Now wasn't there a film by that name....? )

Thanks anyway....have a fantastic wedding day.

Sue
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:00 pm
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

Haven't you got something better to do than haunt ladies' clothes? You're getting married the day after tomorrow, aren't you? (Now wasn't there a film by that name....? )

Thanks anyway....have a fantastic wedding day.

Sue

What about blokes sizes I am shall we say a big bloke, i have a 42" waist and I am 6ft2" tall is it eaasy to get these sizes in shops?

j
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:38 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Thanks.

Sue
I was there in Dec/Jan last year and found that my dress size stayed the same. for shoes (sandals) I had to go up 2 sizes but strangely I bought a pair of havahna flip flops and went down 2 sizes!