Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Size of cockroaches!!

Size of cockroaches!!

Old Apr 4th 2006, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really nice
Default Re: Size of cockroaches!!

Hi

You just put a smile on my face today, made me giggle.

BUT Oooooh Myyyyy Goooood.

Linda
Old Apr 4th 2006, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
you want the bad news -----they live in the house as well as the garage....and they fly...... :scared:
OMG don't say things like that..............maybe I won't go to Oz after all!!!!

<<<<shivers>>> :scared:
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:09 pm
The Analog Kid

sa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louise M
OMG don't say things like that..............maybe I won't go to Oz after all!!!!

<<<<shivers>>> :scared:
Dont worry get a Blue-Tongue Lizard they make good pets and eat the cockroaches
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

ExFelthamhope is an unknown quantity at this point

Great just your read you wonderful evening murdering a cockroach.

Only problem is my wife has gone white as a ghost. She would react the same way however would probably have burned the house down to kill it.

Are they bigger than the ones in the UK?
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:56 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I am sorry but I am absolutely wetting myself as this reminds me of the time I was in Melbourne, many years ago and went to the loo in the middle of the night. Doing what you do, I looked up and there was the most massive spider, well I totally freaked out got the broom that was to hand and tried to smack it/squash it on the ceiling well it just ran towards the door and sat above the door so there I was trousers round my ankles, and stuck in the loo. Kept trying to get it but it would simply move from side to side but still over the door. I was scared that it would jump on me, hence to say I was stuck in there until the banging woke up my friend. Very embarassing and I never went to the loo in the middle of the night again while I was there.

OH FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THose BIG COCKROACHES ALSO FLY AND DONT JUST RUN TOWARDS YOU.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:05 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
u get big cockroaches in the uk too - a few years back i was working for a pharmacutical manufacturer (better not mention which one!! ) and we had an IT training room which wasn't used every day. I just nipped in one morning to get something and when i switched on the light this HUGE cockroach ran straight across the floor in front of me :scared: - i have never run out of a room as fast!!!

the lads in the office just thought that it was quite funny and when i suggested that someone (notice i din't say me!!) should do something about it they just said that it would get caught by the next scheduled fumigation!!

I refused to back in the training room for ages after that!!

Tiggs

Are you describing a roach or one of those hooded louts that hangs out on a street corner near us all.,
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:17 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by svinnes
Call me naive or stupid( which i feel after last night), But since being here 6 months i have dealt with the little cockroaches, Which i thought that was what everyone was going about, That was until last night, It was 10pm and i was lying in my bed and suddenly remembered that i forgot to put the garage door down, Opened the garage clicked the lid down and as i was going in a cockroach ran in front of me in the house, And it was huuuge, I got the spray and then had to find the big Biastard, After half an hour of moving the whole living area about, cause i aint going to bed knowing that ****** is still living, Still can't find it at this point i was crying wanting my husband hom or anyone for that matter to get rid of it, So i decided would move the little fridge and holy cow out it ran straight at me, Surprised my neighbours never called the police cause i was screaming like i was getting murdered, Starting running and spraying all at the same time, Slipped on the tiles and my foot sliced under the ledge of the patio door, Didn't care had to get up and away this thing was still coming at me, It chased me to my room and i closed myself in and Sprayed underneath the door. After about 5 mins of me spraying it, It died, now i know it was probably chasing the blood of my foot, Which today is the size of a balloon, And i think its broken.
So the moral of the story is stay the frig out the garage at night.
God knows how i gonna manage a massive spider when i see it.
Suzanne
Oh God I was PMSL reading this - thanks for cheering my day up!!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:20 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
you want the bad news -----they live in the house as well as the garage....and they fly...... :scared:

They fly??!!!! Sh!t I didn't know that!!!! :scared:
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Oh I am sorry but I am absolutely wetting myself as this reminds me of the time I was in Melbourne, many years ago and went to the loo in the middle of the night. Doing what you do, I looked up and there was the most massive spider, well I totally freaked out got the broom that was to hand and tried to smack it/squash it on the ceiling well it just ran towards the door and sat above the door so there I was trousers round my ankles, and stuck in the loo. Kept trying to get it but it would simply move from side to side but still over the door. I was scared that it would jump on me, hence to say I was stuck in there until the banging woke up my friend. Very embarassing and I never went to the loo in the middle of the night again while I was there.

OH FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THose BIG COCKROACHES ALSO FLY AND DONT JUST RUN TOWARDS YOU.

PMSL! This thread is making me laugh so much! Thanks!

This reminded me of my first use of 'public outdoor toilets' here in NSW two weeks ago. I was desperate for the loo and had pretty much forgotten that I was in Australia. The loos werent too bad but very much 'outdoors' if you know what I mean?! As I was sat on the loo (forgot to hovver!) I noted a spider on the floor right by the door - not huge but enough to freak me out and remind me that I was in Oz! I then lifted my feet in the air and tried to carry on with the job in hand (I was in the right place I can tell - cacking myself I was!! LOL). And then I thought - shit if theres one on the floor then there could be one in the loo too! :scared: So I was now trying to pee with my feet off the floor and my arse off the toilet seat! LOL - I couldnt get out of that place fast enough I tell you!

Oh the joys of this wonderful country!

Rach xxxx
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
u get big cockroaches in the uk too - a few years back i was working for a pharmacutical manufacturer (better not mention which one!! ) and we had an IT training room which wasn't used every day. I just nipped in one morning to get something and when i switched on the light this HUGE cockroach ran straight across the floor in front of me :scared: - i have never run out of a room as fast!!!

the lads in the office just thought that it was quite funny and when i suggested that someone (notice i din't say me!!) should do something about it they just said that it would get caught by the next scheduled fumigation!!

I refused to back in the training room for ages after that!!

Tiggs
Had someone in your company been to Australia recently?

We have huge buggers here too. One of my fonder memories is of my best friend, running screaming down the passage desperately cluthing a too -small towel around her as there was a bug the size of texas in the shower.

We call them palmetto bugs. They're nothing but cockroaches the size of your fist
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

My garage is now fumigated, And hopefully all the big muthers have seeked refuge elsewhere. The foot is doing better but still got a big bruise and its very scratched. I now know why it didn't die quick i was spraying it with surface spray, Next time it will.... Oh god shouldn't say that hopefully there won't be a next time.
Suzanne
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:50 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Middlemount in central Queensland boasts the largest ever recorded cockroaches in Australia. These record-breaking giants weighed more than 30 gm each (the weight of 2 sparrows) and measured 80 mm.

Enjoy Australia!
Attached Thumbnails Size of cockroaches!!-cockroach2.jpg  
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:48 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by svinnes
Call me naive or stupid( which i feel after last night), But since being here 6 months i have dealt with the little cockroaches, Which i thought that was what everyone was going about, That was until last night, It was 10pm and i was lying in my bed and suddenly remembered that i forgot to put the garage door down, Opened the garage clicked the lid down and as i was going in a cockroach ran in front of me in the house, And it was huuuge, I got the spray and then had to find the big Biastard, After half an hour of moving the whole living area about, cause i aint going to bed knowing that ****** is still living, Still can't find it at this point i was crying wanting my husband hom or anyone for that matter to get rid of it, So i decided would move the little fridge and holy cow out it ran straight at me, Surprised my neighbours never called the police cause i was screaming like i was getting murdered, Starting running and spraying all at the same time, Slipped on the tiles and my foot sliced under the ledge of the patio door, Didn't care had to get up and away this thing was still coming at me, It chased me to my room and i closed myself in and Sprayed underneath the door. After about 5 mins of me spraying it, It died, now i know it was probably chasing the blood of my foot, Which today is the size of a balloon, And i think its broken.
So the moral of the story is stay the frig out the garage at night.
God knows how i gonna manage a massive spider when i see it.
Suzanne
Easy to say Suzanne, but dont panic, they dont chase people, remember how big you look to it. Yes they are big, but they are a fraction of the size of a foot. Just stamp on it
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Budgie
Middlemount in central Queensland boasts the largest ever recorded cockroaches in Australia. These record-breaking giants weighed more than 30 gm each (the weight of 2 sparrows) and measured 80 mm.

Enjoy Australia!
eek: :scared: :scared: