Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

spent convictions

spent convictions

Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

shaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really nice
Question spent convictions

hello, this is our first time on this site. We are just about to start with the applications. My husband has got a couple of spent convictions and we are worried that it may hinder us. Has anyone been in this situation and had any problems?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:13 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spent convictions

Originally Posted by shaznstu
hello, this is our first time on this site. We are just about to start with the applications. My husband has got a couple of spent convictions and we are worried that it may hinder us. Has anyone been in this situation and had any problems?

It depends what they are and whether a custodial sentence was served I think.

Pollyanna is the one to answer this if shes online.

You must declare it on the visa form though as things have a habit of haunting you.

Good luck
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

shaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really nice

thanks. no custodial sentence has been served, just got fines. Do you know if you have to put them on the application if it was before he was 17 years old?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:19 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks. no custodial sentence has been served, just got fines. Do you know if you have to put them on the application if it was before he was 17 years old?

Yes you do, someone I heard, missed out spent convictions from ages ago and they showed up on police check.

Then DIMA take a very dim view if you didnt declare it.

It shouldnt be a problem but you must declare it on the form.

Its so much of a worry this business isnt it?

Weve got our medicals Tuesday and I just want it over and done with.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you have to declare everything, else you will get your visa refused. Or if they issue it and later find out about it, they can cancel your visa.

If it was something serious then you could write a brief letter, stating that he is a reformed character and regrets it etc. And maybe get a character reference from someone official.

It should be OK, if in doubt contact an agent and see what their take is on it.

Good luck
Old Apr 16th 2006, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Wink Re: spent convictions

Hi shaznstu, (name rings a bell)

Welcome to the site and all the best on your quest.

cheers ma dears, John & Jo.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 3:04 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

declare it on the form,if its that long ago it wont show up anyway. My husband had a few misdermeaners on his police record they did show,we declared it,we are now living in Oz. It is no major big deal
Old Apr 16th 2006, 4:20 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by peppi
declare it on the form,if its that long ago it wont show up anyway. My husband had a few misdermeaners on his police record they did show,we declared it,we are now living in Oz. It is no major big deal
I have a couple of convictions, one was for ABH, no jail just a hefty fine.
I'll let you know when I get mine back, I believe its getting delivered by fork lift truck LOL but my convictions are from 15 years ago.

Regards,
Paul
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

hi john n jo,
see you soon
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:41 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: spent convictions

LOL, time for a few convict jokes, I think...
Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I had a few dates in court and live in Oz now so you can still get over. I was amazed when my police checks came back at how detailed they were, ie what clothes i was wearing when the crimes took place to what i was wearing when i went to court.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:27 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
I had a few dates in court and live in Oz now so you can still get over. I was amazed when my police checks came back at how detailed they were, ie what clothes i was wearing when the crimes took place to what i was wearing when i went to court.
what about if you've never got to court?

My hubby has a one off very old caution.
16 years old to be exact. never had anything since.

Any one put my mind at rest?????? :scared:

xRachx
Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

To be honest i don't think that would count as its not a conviction and it was also done while a juvenile so it really would not count against you at all.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, technically speaking cautions need not be declared, but I would put them down anyway. Mainly because they may appear on the police check, even if they are only cautions, and that way noone can say you have hidden anything.
An old caution will not have an effect on emigration.

Secondly, no convictions are spent as far as emigration is concerned. Even if they need not be declared for other purposes (including some CRB checks for employment) they still have to be declared when seeking check for emigration. However, if they are old and do not involve custodial sentences, they will almost certainly be of no relevance.

The thing to remember is that undeclared stuff can surface years later. Honesty is definitely the best policy.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karenjc
Did you have to get any character references etc.? Which part of Oz do you live in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.