Reload this Page >

Single Parents - Any on here or know of any that can offer advice

Single Parents - Any on here or know of any that can offer advice

Old Nov 14th 2003, 4:21 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single Parents - Any on here or know of any that can offer advice

Hi all,

A bit of a strange one really but I am wondering if there are any other people in the same situation as I am. I was accepted for emmigration on an Independant Visa back in May 2001 along with my then wife. We split not long after and my visa was granted as per and I have it. I have until 23 Jun 2005 to get out to Oz and am looking at coming over in Jan 2005.

I have a son (who will be 5 when and if I come) who I see every other w/e and always have done. I have so many thoughts running through my mind about the emmigration due to my son and only my son. My wife re-marries in Mar 2004 and I have no ideas as to her plans (both she and her husband to be are in the forces and so prone to move).

I didn't know if anybody was or is in a similar kind of situation or knew of anyone that is over there who has children. To be able to hear of other peoples situations would be of help to me as at present I do not know what to do really. I have my life to lead as well and cannot follow my son round the country for the rest of my life should his mum move, but that doesn't make decisions any easier.

Can anyone offer any points from their experiences. If they can I would be extremely grateful and should you prefer to do it via MSN, PM or email then I am more than happy to do that.

Ian
Old Nov 14th 2003, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Single Parents - Any on here or know of any that can offer advice

Originally posted by ianj
Hi all,

A bit of a strange one really but I am wondering if there are any other people in the same situation as I am. I was accepted for emmigration on an Independant Visa back in May 2001 along with my then wife. We split not long after and my visa was granted as per and I have it. I have until 23 Jun 2005 to get out to Oz and am looking at coming over in Jan 2005.

I have a son (who will be 5 when and if I come) who I see every other w/e and always have done. I have so many thoughts running through my mind about the emmigration due to my son and only my son. My wife re-marries in Mar 2004 and I have no ideas as to her plans (both she and her husband to be are in the forces and so prone to move).

I didn't know if anybody was or is in a similar kind of situation or knew of anyone that is over there who has children. To be able to hear of other peoples situations would be of help to me as at present I do not know what to do really. I have my life to lead as well and cannot follow my son round the country for the rest of my life should his mum move, but that doesn't make decisions any easier.

Can anyone offer any points from their experiences. If they can I would be extremely grateful and should you prefer to do it via MSN, PM or email then I am more than happy to do that.

Ian
Hi Ian
i don't know what i would do in your position, i do know that i am leaving my eldest daughter who is nearly 19 and this is breaking my heart so to have to make a decision when your son is so young i honestly don't know. I think that as long as you keep in touch with him ie. letters, photos, ringing him and as he gets older emails he will when he's older understand. Better to have a dad miles away who cares than one in the same country who doesn't (sorry me being bitter). Whatever you decide you have a life to lead as does his mum, best of luck with your decision
rach & family
Old Nov 14th 2003, 8:04 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

Hi Rach

Thanks for the reply. It is indeed a nightmare decision for me. I am holding off on going to Oz until nearer the time that my visa runs out so I can sit my little lad down and explain to him. I always plan to phone twice a week and talk to him (as I do now) and am going to get him his own PC with a webcam so we can see each other as well.

Even with these plans of what to do it doesn't make the decision any easier. One day I am good with the thought and another I am bad. That was why I wondered if anybody else on this site was already overseas who could offer encouragement or advice on their situ.

Oh well, here's hoping that whatever happens it all works out.

Ian
Old Nov 14th 2003, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Davenshell is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Ian I have a web cam here but havn't had the courage to use it ,my younger daughterdoes and if you have broadband either ends you can use it like a video phone otherwise it all becomes very delayed and jumpy.sorry I might be teaching your granny to suck eggs just my input,but in certain aspects I,m in the same boat.
David
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:11 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

Hello david

I have got a webcam already and before I intend to leave in Jan 05 I am going to buy my son his own computer and with it a new webcam. Even though I will not be in the UK I am planning to do everything I possibly can to ensure I am still in regular contact with him. (Phone, email, webcam as and when etc etc).

Its just the thoughts that may run through his mind about not seeing his dad and what he thinks of me that makes things difficult.

Ian