Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

single parent moving early 2009 now feeling a little bit scared

single parent moving early 2009 now feeling a little bit scared

Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:03 am
Just Joined

loll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default single parent moving early 2009 now feeling a little bit scared

I have 2 children 12 and 11 and off to cairns early 2009. I am a newly qualified nurse and got sponsership from hospital. Know I am def doing right thing but feeling quite nervous now anyone in same boat or got some advice
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: single parent moving early 2009 now feeling a little bit scared

Hi LOLL - have you found the single parents thread? i will look and try to bump it for you! I left UK 1 year ago today adn it has all worked out just fan dabby dozey!!
I have kept a blog since we arrived if you fancy a read. The address is in my signature and I will PM you the password - may be off line for bit tonight as i have teh big ONE YEAR update to get online
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to wish you good luck most people who live in Cairns are people who were not born there.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

loll is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks need all luck i can get, have visited Cairns twice on holiday and it is amazing, i know it will be different living there but we are so excited now it's silly
Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:36 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

just want to wish you good luck. it's a scary move to make on your own (and I didn't have 2 kids) but once your here it'll all seem worth it. Check out the official loners thread in the barbie there's loads of us in your position on there
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I know you have the children but I have always found when travelling alone or being alone somewhere people talk to me. I think they find it easier than approaching a couple. You have the advantage of not having to worry about what you want to do going with an oh.

We were in Cairns for a holiday last year and thought people were very nice. Also have found people in warmer climbs seem to be more friendly, shouldn't be saying that living in Melbourne.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:23 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loll
I have 2 children 12 and 11 and off to cairns early 2009. I am a newly qualified nurse and got sponsership from hospital. Know I am def doing right thing but feeling quite nervous now anyone in same boat or got some advice
I'm sure it will all work out wonderfully! I came out here on holiday as a single parent with a then 4 yo daughter (now 6) to stay with a friend and nearly 2 years later I'm still here (after a couple of trips back to the UK) and married to my aussie! The locals quite like an import

My husband was at the hospital for a couple of weeks and the nurses there were lovely! There are heaps of British nurses there ... actually its a bit like the united nations there, staff from all over the world ! even from Australia!!

It is a daunting thought making such a big move but its such a big adventure too!

Good luck with it all