Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore Stopover with 5 month old feasible?

Singapore Stopover with 5 month old feasible?

Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:37 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Singapore Stopover with 5 month old feasible?

We are going over to the UK for Xmas this year and will have a little 5 month old boy in tow. Would a singapore stopover be feasible/enjoyable with such a young child? As you can tell I am a bit of a clueless n00b regarding sprogs and any travel tips would be great. Seems like the best thing to do is book a Singapore airlines skycot.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:39 am
Merlot

Default Re: Singapore Stopover with 5 month old feasible?

Don't have wee ones but when we flew Singapore last year I observed how they were with babies and small people and I have to say I was really impressed. I almost wanted to be small again .

Good luck
Merlot

Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:51 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Hi BP,

My daughter and I travelled with Singapore Airlines from the UK to Adelaide and back with my one year old grandson last year.

The flight attendants were great, I would highly recommend Singapore to anyone travelling with babies or children. Definitely book a skycot (make sure it's confirmed though as some people on our outbound flight had requested them via their travel agent but there weren't enough to go round).

As for stopping over, I didn't do this as I thought it would be a bit difficult. I figured that as he was so young he wouldn't really appreciate it and we wouldn't be able to sightsee very easily with him in tow.

The break at Singapore airport was welcome though and I booked us a room so we could have a rest as we had a few hours between flights.

Perhaps others have done the stopover with young'uns and can advise how it went?

Elaine M
Old Feb 13th 2005, 4:50 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bondipom
We are going over to the UK for Xmas this year and will have a little 5 month old boy in tow. Would a singapore stopover be feasible/enjoyable with such a young child? As you can tell I am a bit of a clueless n00b regarding sprogs and any travel tips would be great. Seems like the best thing to do is book a Singapore airlines skycot.
Hello BP

Not sure about which airline to use but if you do stopover be prepared for serious humidity - I know that Sydney can get humid but Singapore (almost on the Equator) is major league stuff - certainly enough to slow you right down if you are not accustomed to it.

Having said that, it is also one of the major air-conditioned cities of the world and its just a question of balancing what you do and when you do it there.

Regards

Jim
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:01 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We spent 5 days in KL last year with 2 yr old and 4 month baby. The only time our baby got ratty was when we left the humidity behind for the air conditioned 5 star room, once out in the heat he was happy again
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:17 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Bondipom, just to say we had 3 days on our way out to oz last april in singapore and we really loved the place. I think the point that has been made already is a good one about the humidity, if you think littlun will be ok with it being really sticky and hot then go for it, its a fantastic place to see. good luck with your choice.

Nev.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Leaver is on a distinguished road

Hi Bondipom,
I'm trying to work out the dates - xmas - 10 months away, 5 month old...my goodness, you plan well!

We have two kids - one born just about in Singapore (as far as climate is concerned) - and have travelled to Singapore many times over the last 5 years with both children from the age of a few months.
it's a fabulous place to visit with children. Humidity is not really an issue because of air con - and early evening is quite pleasant anyhow - as long as you do the obvious - dress the baby lightly and always offer fluids.
The Singaporeans are very child friendly and will be patient with you whilst you go through the parent bit (pram folding, catching escaping nappies etc etc) Eating out is great - very clean and long hours which will give you flexibility. SQ are great but book early for the bulkhead cot seats and request whatever food options you require. I'm sure you will have lots of people offering advice but drop me a line if you want any ideas on how to spend a day or two - or cheap eating options.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:30 am
Just Joined

donna paul is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Singapore Stopover with 5 month old feasible?

Definitely feasible - by the time your baby is 5 mths you will know he/she very well. my baby was 6 weeks when she first travelled abroad to a hot place and has flown plenty of times since - she is now 3. Singapore is a fantastic place and singapore airlines are great with children too. we stopped there in december and I would say it would be easier with a baby than a toddler as most feeds if not all will be formula/breast and you don't need to worry so much about the fussy eating fads of older children. Definitely make sure you confirm a sky cot and ask well in advance for the bulk head seats and check in early just to make doubly sure. Good luck and don't worry!!! just go with the flow
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

BP,

Sq are a top airline and very au fait with childrens requirements. As in the provious posts, try to request bulk head seats and a cot. This often gets over booked so brace yourself for a possible reverse on that one.

As for SG itself - not a worry with the short ones. In fact its probably amongst the safest places on earth to take a toddler in terms of being worried about the natives.

One thing that may concern you - a lack of car seats for the little fella. You'll have to hold him to the chest and strap in. The driving can be a bit hairy.

As far as the climate - prepare as if you were going to far north qld and you'll be fine.

Its a good spot for getting clothes and other stuff for kids btw, if you're that way inclined.

One other thing. The locals have a habit of informing you that your child is crying. This will occur in spite of you being in full knowledge of this fact and attempting to calm the nipper down
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

BillyGoatGruff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RichS
The locals have a habit of informing you that your child is crying. This will occur in spite of you being in full knowledge of this fact and attempting to calm the nipper down
this sort of thing always (well apart from at the time) makes me chuckle.

we have twins who are now 2y5m (been here 2 years and 3 days!) so i remember what it is like flying with a (pair of) 5 month olds - they were no trouble at all - slept nearly all the way.