Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines bad for Australia

Singapore airlines bad for Australia

Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Singapore airlines bad for Australia

Originally Posted by <")))><
Protectionism, or more the fact that what they're really after is a Qantas / SingaporeAir merger (which I gather is on the table?)
Yes, I was mad as hell about this decision, but the merger was strongly hinted at. Looks like the Feds still want this outcome to offload their share. Hopefully when this happens we will see a free market.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Singapore airlines bad for Australia

Originally Posted by arkon
Do the Australian govt. have a share in Qantas?
No. Qantas is no way government owned or government subsidised.

Its competitors are Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Malaysian, South African, Cathay Pacific - all of them either government owned, or benefiting from government subsidies.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:24 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
I don't know what the make up of the company is, did it belong to the government once upon a time?
It did, but that was yonks ago.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There is protectionism on the transatlantic routes, no question (remember the dirty tricks by BA against Virgin, SIA have been trying to get across the atlantic as well)), but this does not justify this decision to protect Qantas. By protecting Qantas, the government encourages them to remain a mediocre airline, which is what they are. SIA are one of the most progressive & innovative airlines in the world (from a Rolls Royce aeronautical engineer that I know). Look at their Singapore-New York nonstop route using the ultra long range A340 (the longest commercial flight in the world). If they were allowed to fly out of Sydney they would be flying non-stop to New York within a few years. There is some more competition coming in, Air Canada are going to start Australia to LA flights soon, but allowing SIA would have been better. It's a bad day for the travelling public.
Alliances and mergers are the way of the future for the airline industry. I read a detailed report on the world's aviation industry and it predicted many national carriers will disappear within 10 years. I guess the government of Australia doesn't want Qantas to be a casualty. There seems to be a lot of if you can't beat them (or we won't allow you) then join them message to SIA behind this decision.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...284069891.html

OzTennis
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:49 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by arkon
Can’t we agree that no country should make these kind of daft decisions regardless off where we are all from?
Yes, I agree with you entirely on that point. No two ways about it.

Now let's talk about the gas monopoly in Britain... 22% price hike, anyone? Why thankyou, don't mind if I do!

I find one of the reasons the place is so bad is that Australians just take it all on the chin and put up with it, meanwhile the rest of the world leaves them behind.
We put up with it because - just like the war on Iraq - we have no means of preventing it.

Would you care to tell me how the average Aussie punter can be expected to stop the government and/or force it to change its plans on the SA/QA issue? I'd be fascinated to know.

And just turning the coin over for a moment, perhaps someone could talk me through the process used by the British public to prevent Margaret Thatcher killing off the mining industry, thereby reducing a pre-war mining population of 1 million workers to a post-80s population of 8,000 workers?

Oh wait, I've just remembered - they didn't. Thatcher got her way, and the traditional mining counties have wallowed in unemployment ever since.

I suppose that must have been what the British public wanted, right?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Monopoly power does not mean ONE supplier. Why were Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda banned by the MMC from bidding for Safeway (leaving the way clear for Morrison's)? If you can't answer that one then you don't know about monopoly power and its inherent dangers (to the suppliers of goods and the customer). Milk producers for example have had the price of their milk reduced by over 50% in the last 10 years as the supermarkets with their daily requirement for millions of pintas say that's our price take it or leave it. (eg my sister in law works for a creamery which just shed 25% of their workforce because Tesco cancelled their contract and placed it with a French creamery - for UHT milk, which has a knock on effect with local farmers and how much they spend in the town)

Sure the person who picks up a pinta in their supermarket thinks it is great but take a look a bit further down the supply chain. A report out last week has also warned of the rise of 'anytown Britain' - town/city centres decimated by the supermarkets on the fringes, leaving charity shops and empty shops in town centres. Small independent traders are closing all the time etc, etc. The tip of the iceberg is the cheaper prices these businesses offer, have a think about what is below the water and the impact this is having on society and the environment.

OzTennis (new Tesco opening in our town this Monday)
As usual your insight is spot on.

Tesco prices may well be nice now........but I just think of the poor sod sweating away in some hell hole to keep his Tesco contract and more than likely earn a pittance 'cos they are screwing suppliers on margins.

The Asian sweat shops of Nike and GAP and probably next door now to a new one called Tesco.

I hate ALL shopping anyway. I eat and drink to stay alive and am much more interested to have great company to eat with than discuss the best price and tastiest bit of grub on the supermarket shelf.......still, if it does taste nice it helps