Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Simple advice about Skype

Simple advice about Skype

Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Muppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the rough
Default Simple advice about Skype

Hi,

I'm looking for some really simple advice about Skype - really really simple!
I have heard it is an ideal way of talking via webcam to the UK. Our first baby is due next year so think now would be an ideal time to think about it ready for family to catch up.
So, what do I need to do?
I've got broadband - e-wire. What else do I need? Do I need one of those phones that you connect to your PC/laptop?
All simple advice greatly received
Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice
Default Re: Simple advice about Skype

No, you don't need a phone, just get a webcam with a built in mic and download Skype for free. Skype should detect your webcam provided you've installed it previously and then it will set up video calling for you. It *should* be easy...but murphy's law and all that..
Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Muppett
Hi,

I have heard it is an ideal way of talking via webcam to the UK. Our first baby is due next year so think now would be an ideal time to think about it ready for family to catch up.
I've got broadband - e-wire. What else do I need? Do I need one of those phones that you connect to your PC/laptop?
How old is your pc and the pc someelse is using. Used to find our old laptop choked a bit as it was on the slow side. We fly now with the new one.

You can get very cheap webcams but the quality is poorer. If its more for folks seeing you then look for something half decent. Logitech do some reasonable priced ones. My brother thinks Skype is good and the quality is good but that's because my mum and I have decent cameras. When we look at him its not as clear but he's not convinced because he see's us fine.

Skype is such a good way to communicate. My mum has found it a god send. We called her using it as my son unwrapped all his birthday presents so she didn't miss it.The kids play pretend games where they go and make cups of tea and cakes for her and give it to her through the camera. Its magical and helps if you ever miss England. My mum is even now called "Nanny Skype". I don't think they will have any problems recognising her at the airport in a couple of months.

Hope you get as much out of it as we do.

PoppetUK
Old Dec 21st 2007, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough

Yeah Skype is excellent. Spent over an hour talking (and seeing!) to my parents today with it and it didn't cost us a penny - sorry I mean cent

Regards,
Karen
Old Dec 21st 2007, 6:48 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

The three skype phone is an easy way to do it for those less PC literate. But it is really easy on the PC.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:30 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I've got a Voip phone and quality is certainly ten times better than a headset with a microphone etc. Also run a simple webcam (quality is great for those receiving it still), also bought credit on skype to I use it to call mobiles overseas, fraction of the cost compared to using my homephone etc to make those calls, quality again is great.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Hi Muppet,

The best advice I can offer is to Download Skype and try it!

The only real hardware you need is a microphone. Most modern laptops have these built in, so that should be cool. A webcam is a real bonus and if your laptop doesn't have one of these built in then you can pick one up pretty cheaply at your local Dick Smith's or similar.

If you have any problems, drop me a line or search the Skype forum (use your Skype username to log in).

SkypeOut is also really neat. We use that all of the time for hassling the people who are meant to be managing our property in the UK and it is far cheaper than using the POTS (plain old telephone system).

Hope this helps and good luck!

--paj
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap 1.3Meg pixel webcams here.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products....9~search.skype

price is in USD, shipped from HK.

Some interesting stuff there; you can get hooked!

Ian
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Hi,

there are several VOIP sofeware packages you can use MSN SKYPE AOL etc.
with skype you can also get a Skype phone that connects via your broadband connection with out the need for a pc, thus you dont need your pc on (you dont even need one) for someone to call you. here is an example of some of them http://accessories.skype.com/DRHM/se...oryID=10466900

I have installed several Voip software packages as sometimes the call is not always clear so i then recall on a different one.

If your on a limited broadband package, watch your limit as the long webcam calls can eat into your monthly limit.

Jacen
Old Dec 24th 2007, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Muppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the rough

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've downloaded skype and done the test where I can hear myself. Just need to work out how to link the webcam to it all. Our laptop is about 5 years old, my parents and sis's are new, broadband is unlimited - so once I get my head around how to see myself and then others I should be ok. Just got to work on the family now to get them set up.

Merry Christmas to all
Old Dec 24th 2007, 12:46 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've downloaded skype and done the test where I can hear myself. Just need to work out how to link the webcam to it all. Our laptop is about 5 years old, my parents and sis's are new, broadband is unlimited - so once I get my head around how to see myself and then others I should be ok. Just got to work on the family now to get them set up.

Merry Christmas to all
Just plug in the webcam.. It should be USB, install camera software if needed.

Skype should pick it, and you can test it in the webcam setting page. Sometimes the bandwidth needed for the camera can slow/distort the voice, but that depends on your net link, and perhaps the age of your computer.

Other VOIP programs can use webcams too, and sometimes if the networks are conjested its better to switch programs.. MSN live, yahoo messenger etc
Old Dec 24th 2007, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by datamile
Just plug in the webcam.. It should be USB, install camera software if needed.

Skype should pick it, and you can test it in the webcam setting page. Sometimes the bandwidth needed for the camera can slow/distort the voice, but that depends on your net link, and perhaps the age of your computer.

Other VOIP programs can use webcams too, and sometimes if the networks are conjested its better to switch programs.. MSN live, yahoo messenger etc
Aah - well I plugged it in and nothing much happened. Perhaps I'll try again.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 1:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Aah - well I plugged it in and nothing much happened. Perhaps I'll try again.
Thanks for the advice.
If it's a new camera that you haven't previously used with your PC then you *must* install the software that came on the supplied CD first.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hutch
If it's a new camera that you haven't previously used with your PC then you *must* install the software that came on the supplied CD first.
Nope we've used it before - but gave up cos we couldn't get the sound and pic to work at the same time. I'll give it another go over the Christmas break.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 1:11 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Nope we've used it before - but gave up cos we couldn't get the sound and pic to work at the same time. I'll give it another go over the Christmas break.
Should be right then. Just make a 'voice' call on Skype, wait until you're connected and then click the Start Video button.