Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling your house without a Real Estate Agent?

Selling your house without a Real Estate Agent?

Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of
Default Selling your house without a Real Estate Agent?

We want to sell our house in Manly, Qld and have had quotes from some real estate agents!!! Can't believe how much they charge compared to the UK!

Has anyone sold their house privately? How did you advertise? Did you use a website and if so which one?

Thanks

Jo

P.S. If anyone wants to buy a house in Manly PM me and I'll send you the details!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:28 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling your house without a Real Estate Agent?

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
We want to sell our house in Manly, Qld and have had quotes from some real estate agents!!! Can't believe how much they charge compared to the UK!

Has anyone sold their house privately? How did you advertise? Did you use a website and if so which one?

Thanks

Jo

P.S. If anyone wants to buy a house in Manly PM me and I'll send you the details!
seriously do not bother with these , home selling ideas, your own board etc etc,, it dont really work.

The odd person that may have sold this way are really the exception to the rule.

Our agents want 27k to sell this place ! So its not a case of i dont agree withya...

Have tried SELF SELL, its really quite crap, for one reason, its deemed or perceived you wanna sell CHEAP cos ur using CHEAP means.

Try one of the companies that does all in costs, such as http://www.gogecko.com.au/
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
seriously do not bother with these , home selling ideas, your own board etc etc,, it dont really work.

The odd person that may have sold this way are really the exception to the rule.

Our agents want 27k to sell this place ! So its not a case of i dont agree withya...

Have tried SELF SELL, its really quite crap, for one reason, its deemed or perceived you wanna sell CHEAP cos ur using CHEAP means.

Try one of the companies that does all in costs, such as http://www.gogecko.com.au/

Thanks for that, thought we would give it a go first - its not like the real estate guys won't take us on if we don't sell!! I'll check out that Gogecko though!

Your house looks fantastic, why you selling and where are you moving to? Sorry I'm just really nosey!! Tell me to mind my own!!

Last edited by OzWannabee; Nov 29th 2007 at 8:51 am. Reason: Terrible spelling!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:10 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
Thanks for that, thought we would give it a go first - its not like the real estate guys won't take us on if we don't sell!! I'll check out that Gogecko though!

Your house looks fantastic, why you selling and where are you moving to? Sorry I'm just really nosey!! Tell me to mind my own!!
lol its cool.

We did the stupid thing, and looked on realestate.com.au at land.. just to be nosey..

Then popped into a fencing place, just off the caboolture turn off..

Then Debs said, hey Beachmere ! seen that on Tinternet.. I agreed I had too.. so off we went... and well found a beaut block ( we contracted but subject to all the normal formalities )... and so this place is up for sale lol..

But.. no takers on this yet, well, ... one very interested cpl, but... it aint done till its done deal huh !
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

lol its cool.

We did the stupid thing, and looked on realestate.com.au at land.. just to be nosey..

Then popped into a fencing place, just off the caboolture turn off..

Then Debs said, hey Beachmere ! seen that on Tinternet.. I agreed I had too.. so off we went... and well found a beaut block ( we contracted but subject to all the normal formalities )... and so this place is up for sale lol..

But.. no takers on this yet, well, ... one very interested cpl, but... it aint done till its done deal huh !
LOL!! That's what happened to us! Had an idea that we MIGHT buy land and build next year and before we knew it we owned land in Gympie!! Let's hope we don't live to regret it!!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

I must agree with Timber, we tried our first one on owner.com we had a board made and duly placed it outside, we had a few enquiries, we also listed with an agent. We had a call from the agent to say they had a couple interested. This couple did buy our house and only after talking to them did they mention, "We saw the board but were to scared to ask as we did not think it was in our price bracket, we then saw it in the agents window so went through the agent" DAHHH how stupid we could have saved them money and ourselves. It seems to be an Australian thing that people are too scared of buying via the owner as its not the norm here.
We then sold an investment property just by putting the same board up outside. The board was put up Saturday afternoon and we had a buyer by midday sunday, contracts signed sealed and delivered by Tuesday.
I have seen several Owner .com boards around our area and ta few of these do have sold on them, so it has to be worth a try.Dont forget to try to negotiate the commission the REIQ (or whatever) only states the maximum that can be charged not what will be charged.

Good luck
Ps how many bedrooms and what price range are you looking at.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
I must agree with Timber, we tried our first one on owner.com we had a board made and duly placed it outside, we had a few enquiries, we also listed with an agent. We had a call from the agent to say they had a couple interested. This couple did buy our house and only after talking to them did they mention, "We saw the board but were to scared to ask as we did not think it was in our price bracket, we then saw it in the agents window so went through the agent" DAHHH how stupid we could have saved them money and ourselves. It seems to be an Australian thing that people are too scared of buying via the owner as its not the norm here.
We then sold an investment property just by putting the same board up outside. The board was put up Saturday afternoon and we had a buyer by midday sunday, contracts signed sealed and delivered by Tuesday.
I have seen several Owner .com boards around our area and ta few of these do have sold on them, so it has to be worth a try.Dont forget to try to negotiate the commission the REIQ (or whatever) only states the maximum that can be charged not what will be charged.

Good luck
Thanks, we thought we'd give it a try for a couple of weeks and see what happens! It's got 5 beds and 3 bathrooms and the agents we had round said they would put it on for $670k.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Hi,

As a potential buyer we found the following site: http://www.goprivate.com.au.

Don't know what it's like from sellers perspective. May be worth a visit?

HTH

Darren
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff

Good luck
similarly we went the route of owner selling, and had a couple of interested ppl, also had some fella put a letter in our mail box. Seems he was confident enough to do a letter but not to approach us.

theres quite a few self sell websites, and for sale by owner. ( FSBO )

just remember if you do BOTH, ie agent and self sell, dont go exclusive with agent, and check the fine print of your contract. If its proven that the buyer, MAY have noticed your property for sale, due to agents advertising or board or whatever, they can claim the sale or part thereof. Difficult i would imagine to police, and enforce, but its worth noting.... they have that up their sleeve if they wanna be dicks about it
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aus2be
Hi,

As a potential buyer we found the following site: http://www.goprivate.com.au.

Don't know what it's like from sellers perspective. May be worth a visit?

HTH

Darren
Thanks I'll check that out!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

similarly we went the route of owner selling, and had a couple of interested ppl, also had some fella put a letter in our mail box. Seems he was confident enough to do a letter but not to approach us.

theres quite a few self sell websites, and for sale by owner. ( FSBO )

just remember if you do BOTH, ie agent and self sell, dont go exclusive with agent, and check the fine print of your contract. If its proven that the buyer, MAY have noticed your property for sale, due to agents advertising or board or whatever, they can claim the sale or part thereof. Difficult i would imagine to police, and enforce, but its worth noting.... they have that up their sleeve if they wanna be dicks about it

Thanks Timber, we checked out the GoGecko and it looks ok, they seem to do the same as the others but at a third of the price! I think most people get onto realestate.com but you can't advertise on there privately so if we went with them at least we would get an advert on there!

Thanks for all your help!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Landwatch.com is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, you guys sure seem to be an adventure hungry lot. Good luck!! It is always advisable to use agents to sell your house quickly and you guys also seem to have lot of time in hand. So you can try selling it on your own. If you want to sell it on your own, I think you can try some real estate websites. Please keep us posted on the progress you make. Cheers!!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I think ANREPS are in all states, they are supposed to be pretty good for selling yourself
Old Dec 12th 2007, 10:18 am
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Landwatch.com
Well, you guys sure seem to be an adventure hungry lot. Good luck!! It is always advisable to use agents to sell your house quickly and you guys also seem to have lot of time in hand. So you can try selling it on your own. If you want to sell it on your own, I think you can try some real estate websites. Please keep us posted on the progress you make. Cheers!!
Hello Guys
we sold our house in Ormiston without an agent. We paid for a board outside and used a website. The house sold within a month Saved us a fortune which meant i could have a shiny new car!
If you want any details pm us and Simon will give you the details.
Angie
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

We sold our house in Perth and a large rural block without the use of agents.

We had a board made up and two small home open signs. Then we placed a months worth of ads in the West Australian and home open times in the Reiwa paper. First people who came through bought it. Over 20 couples came through on the first home open and 15 the following day.

Then needed to sell a block of land, so had the details changed on the board, plonked it in the ground and waited. It was sold within three weeks

Give it a go, those two wouldn't have cost us $1000 and a bit of leg work. What you do need though is a good settlement agent.

Good luck and remember, the money's better in your pocket

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.