Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sick pay: Can you get insurance for long periods of sickness?

Sick pay: Can you get insurance for long periods of sickness?

Old Aug 13th 2006, 10:41 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold
Default Sick pay: Can you get insurance for long periods of sickness?

I am talking to two employers in Oz, they both have maximum numbers of paid sick a year. One only has 8 days, the other a month. After that no pay! Unless it's an injury sustained at work.

Imagine I break a leg/arm (my profession means I can't work with this injury), or need an operation. How would I cover my bills/mortgage?

How do the Australians manage? Is there insurance for this?
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:18 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sick pay: Can you get insurance for long periods of sickness?

Originally Posted by temptininnit
I am talking to two employers in Oz, they both have maximum numbers of paid sick a year. One only has 8 days, the other a month. After that no pay! Unless it's an injury sustained at work.

Imagine I break a leg/arm (my profession means I can't work with this injury), or need an operation. How would I cover my bills/mortgage?

yes there is insurance but if i remember correctly it is quite pricey
Old Aug 13th 2006, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Being self employed I have "income protection" insurance"
Mind you I've never made a claim, so can't say how good it is..
Old Aug 13th 2006, 2:23 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Quokka
Being self employed I have "income protection" insurance"
Mind you I've never made a claim, so can't say how good it is..

So does everyone just rely on having savings?
Old Aug 13th 2006, 2:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So does everyone just rely on having savings?
Certainly seems that way - also a lot of people seem to have "investment properties". People I work with - not high earners either - have no problem supporting themselve when they take weeks of unpaid leave, too. Inn the UK unpaid leave was virtually unheard of.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 11:38 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and in certain companies it is tied in with your superannuation if you take the company standard offering.

Google on "Salary Continuance Insurance" for Australia

examples I found are www.incomeprotection.com.au and www.hostplus.com.au

You may also need to consider TPD - total disability benefit or Death Only as well as salary continuance.

I am with a company plan with AMP and would be very very badly off if I could not work for a couple of months let along a longer period of time. I am covered for 75% of my reportable income.

I would advise you to ask your employer about SCI - around half the people I know have SCI in some form or other through work.

Cheers Sandra
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Inn the UK unpaid leave was virtually unheard of.
I know of people who would often take unpaid sabbaticals.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:00 am
I've got time . . . . .

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I know of people who would often take unpaid sabbaticals.

It seems alot of australians are wheeler dealers. This leads me to my next concern- that of Pensions.

Ay 37 and my wife 31 what kind of old age can we expect in Oz while leaving two frozen NHS pensions in the Uk?

The reality of the move is starting to bite.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 8:04 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I have "critical cover" insurance which is pricey but in the event of a diagnosis with cancer, stroke, hear attack, diabetes, etc, it pays out immediately $1.0m for $210 per month.

Funny thing is I can barely afford it really and sods law something will happen if I stop paying.

Andrew