Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sick of Getting Ripped off In Perth

Sick of Getting Ripped off In Perth

Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

lelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sick of Getting Ripped off In Perth

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree it does seem to be like that. Mum and Dad go to friends and take the kids with them here. Most of my friends in the UK would go out and dump their kids on babysitters.
You say that like its a bad thing ?? Would much rather be out with friends ,having a meal and a giggle without having the snotty nosed darlings there falling asleep in there chicken nuggets
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Very much the case. From going out to eat two or three times a week in the late 90s,we now do it around once a fortnight. Breakfast here in Perth usually more than double what paid in Central London.(last year)
More about home life these days. Family bonding I guess they call it. Not missing a lot by not going out to eat or to pubs here anyway,as you have duely noted.
We use to go to The Dome for our Breakfast and use to love going but two things changed, The Dome chain just got larger and standards where not as good and the prices our last 3 years in Perth we really noticed the price rise. I still loved their Ceaser Salad though and also their Risotto especially at The Dome in Leederville AND my fav one in Mandurah (not the one in Mandurah town centre one though)
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimmy Choo
Just about had it with this place. Everywhere you go, you have to pay through the nose for everything. Went out for a pub lunch with the family, and paid a small fortune for average food and crap service, which sums up Perth for me. No wonder the restaurants are dead as people are voting with their feet and cooking from home.

Going for breakfast is another joke - we almost paid double here for the same thing we got in Malbourne the week before.

Don't get me started on the price of alcohol. Glad I don't drink much
you pay more thats true but then the wages are 2x or 2.5x what they are in the uk, so its all swings and roundabouts
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
We use to go to The Dome for our Breakfast and use to love going but two things changed, The Dome chain just got larger and standards where not as good and the prices our last 3 years in Perth we really noticed the price rise. I still loved their Ceaser Salad though and also their Risotto especially at The Dome in Leederville AND my fav one in Mandurah (not the one in Mandurah town centre one though)
I see a business opportunity here. Perth Breakfasts - reasonable prices. More people through the door, make more money.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:25 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lelchelle
You say that like its a bad thing ?? Would much rather be out with friends ,having a meal and a giggle without having the snotty nosed darlings there falling asleep in there chicken nuggets
No I wouldn't. I didn't have my kids to leave them with babysitters all the time. Just my opinion of course.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beoz
I see a business opportunity here. Perth Breakfasts - reasonable prices. More people through the door, make more money.
Go for it, see if you can do it cheaper than anyone else. Don't rely on volume = lower margins = more profit.
I owned a restaurant in Perth, the wages, cost of goods, insurance, rent, tax and 3rd party costs are all sky high. You can't keep prices low in the hope that you will get custom...Perth's not like that.
That's why eating out and drinking in WA is expensive.
We made money, but got out of the business as soon as we could.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Go for it, see if you can do it cheaper than anyone else. Don't rely on volume = lower margins = more profit.
I owned a restaurant in Perth, the wages, cost of goods, insurance, rent, tax and 3rd party costs are all sky high. You can't keep prices low in the hope that you will get custom...Perth's not like that.
That's why eating out and drinking in WA is expensive.
We made money, but got out of the business as soon as we could.
Catch 22, Too costly to run, no one eats out because its expensive.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Didn't you see a business opportunity?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Didn't you see a business opportunity?
I did, but with no experience in hospitality, you put me off it straight away.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:51 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

2 to 2.5 times UK wages, what world do you live in ?

Originally Posted by dave99
you pay more thats true but then the wages are 2x or 2.5x what they are in the uk, so its all swings and roundabouts
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

I paid casual staff $18 / hour 2 years ago. Ex rate 0.55 - $1 = £9.90 / hour. Minimum wage in the Uk just now is around £5 - 6 / hour.
Penalty rates were higher by 25%.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:56 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it does seem to be like that. Mum and Dad go to friends and take the kids with them here. Most of my friends in the UK would go out and dump their kids on babysitters.
Originally Posted by eddie007
back in the uk we Had an extensive network of family and friends making it so much easier ...... We do tend to be more into the drag your kids along thing, mainly because of mumbles ...we cant leave Him for long Certainly not for a late night out.... Means we're always first to leave anything we DO get to as a couple....
Originally Posted by lelchelle
No I wouldn't. I didn't have my kids to leave them with babysitters all the time. Just my opinion of course.
I guess there's a happy medium.
We have friends over and they bring the kids, we also go to their houses. This New year we are all going to a place where we can take the kids because we want them there.
Sometimes though, it's great to leave the kids with grandparents and really let loose. When the kids are with you, you have to moderate everything you do and say.
Luckily, the kids love staying with Nana, Granny, Aunties and cousins so they are having fun too
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:15 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I guess there's a happy medium.
We have friends over and they bring the kids, we also go to their houses. This New year we are all going to a place where we can take the kids because we want them there.
Sometimes though, it's great to leave the kids with grandparents and really let loose. When the kids are with you, you have to moderate everything you do and say.
Luckily, the kids love staying with Nana, Granny, Aunties and cousins so they are having fun too
I did say it was my opinion only K, I just never felt comfortable doing it. We did go out occasionally when the kids were small but we paid someone rather than ask family. I do not like anyone to have one over on me, including family so we never asked. Strange but just how I feel.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Sounds good in theory and I know of a bloke that done that in London very successfully back in the eighties.

On reflection the big difference being he had a choice location on the Earls Court Road, a major road for pedestrian traffic. Hence prices could be kept low as volume of people was very high.
Nowhere in Perth could match such conditions apart from city centre where rents are very high and breakfast market already catered for.
Doubt it would be able to charge cheap enough prices in the burbs to make a go of it and would only take a slice of the business already operating probably making less income for all concerned.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I paid casual staff $18 / hour 2 years ago. Ex rate 0.55 - $1 = £9.90 / hour. Minimum wage in the Uk just now is around £5 - 6 / hour.
Penalty rates were higher by 25%.
Labour is definately more expensive in Australia. Only surprised that casual staff didn't command far more as they do in many other areas. But then I suppose the hospitality industry is known for low wages often employing students and backpackers.
In london a fair number employed had no rights of employment in UK so earned very low money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.