Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sick of Australia, Looking for Nice Area in England

Wikiposts

Sick of Australia, Looking for Nice Area in England

Old Apr 17th 2003, 7:52 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick of Australia, Looking for Nice Area in England

The Yorkshire coast might be worth a look. The east is generally drier but cooler than the west. Property prices have not yet reached the outrageous excesses seen in the south east but small fishing villages such as Robin Hood's Bay easily match the pretty villages of the south. You also have the North York moors on your doorstep and the Yorkshire dales (Herriot country) a short drive away. Provided you don't need to work it's a great place.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 6:20 pm
AdamAnt

Default Re: Ta Muchly!

Originally posted by muppetking
Have you considered Cirencester and its environs.......beautiful and you are likely to stumble off the beaten track and discover some gems!
Thanks muppetking. Your suggestion of Cirencester meets a lot of the criteria doesn't it.

Had a look at furnished rentals:
Cirencester Letting Co

I think I could handle this 1 bed cottage for 6 months (~600 Quid/Mth):

Last edited by AdamAnt; Apr 17th 2003 at 6:23 pm.

Old Apr 17th 2003, 6:46 pm
AdamAnt

Originally posted by acer rose
The Yorkshire coast might be worth a look. The east is generally drier but cooler than the west. Property prices have not yet reached the outrageous excesses seen in the south east but small fishing villages such as Robin Hood's Bay easily match the pretty villages of the south. You also have the North York moors on your doorstep and the Yorkshire dales (Herriot country) a short drive away. Provided you don't need to work it's a great place.
Thanks, this is an area we have not visited so it could hold some surprises, we'll look more into it.

Found this accomodation search site:
Ingrid Flute

Old Apr 17th 2003, 8:08 pm
No wuckin furries mate

brox is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard
You will upet a few with this post and theres no easy answer to your question there are too many nice spots in the UK to list and its down to feel for a place.
Why buy a home instead get a car and caravan and tour all of the UK and then Southern Europe in the winter months .
Join the National Caravan Club they have sites all over the UK and meet up for weekends and holidays good way to get to know people.

AARGH PB you've just lost all credibility. You're a closet caravanner!!!!!:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Apr 18th 2003, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

There are some absolutely brilliant places on the Yorkshire Coast and you should definitely visit Whitby as well as Robin Hoods Bay. If yoú're looking to live there be warned that it gets VERY cold in winter and year-round tourists can make it a bit congested at times.

I've booked a cottage in Whitby through Ingrid Flute website and was very pleased with the accomodation and value for money. I'd recommend them.
Old Apr 18th 2003, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by AdamAnt
We are not British Expats but I'm hoping you will not mind giving some advice to 2 Aussies sick of living in Sydney about nice places to live in England for a few years perhaps for good.

The drought last summer was the last straw for us. We went to Tasmania in January to get away from the heat and dust and only returned a couple of weeks ago. On arriving in Sydney and travelling back home through the same old grubby streets, I thought "not back to this again". While the summer weather is over, its more than that. We have seen most parts of Australia and travelled a lot elsewhere. But we feel Australia has become too small for us, too much the same all over.

We are retired with enough money (I think) to be able to afford a nice house in England not too expensive. We like to travel but need our comforts.

Your suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Have you thought about Edinburgh? It might be too far north for you, but its a wonderful city...perhaps the most beautiful in Britain...the buildings, the hills, the countryside....ah I could go on here...
Also a lot to do....museums/art galleries/architecture to see by the bucket load, coast nearby, scottish countryside at your fingertips, castles galore...
If however you want to stay in England, then personally I would suggest the Cotswolds... some of the villages are just incredibly beautiful (probably busy in the summer mind, with the tourists)
good luck
Old Apr 18th 2003, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

We are not British Expats but I'm hoping you will not mind giving some advice to 2 Aussies sick of living in Sydney about nice places to live in England for a few years perhaps for good.

The drought last summer was the last straw for us. We went to Tasmania in January to get away from the heat and dust and only returned a couple of weeks ago. On arriving in Sydney and travelling back home through the same old grubby streets, I thought "not back to this again". While the summer weather is over, its more than that. We have seen most parts of Australia and travelled a lot elsewhere. But we feel Australia has become too small for us, too much the same all over.

We are retired with enough money (I think) to be able to afford a nice house in England not too expensive. We like to travel but need our comforts.

Hi there,

You've hit it on the nail on the head when you say ''not the same old grubby streets''

I guess it's a lifestyle change you are looking for just like us ...

Caravaning is popular at this time of the year, so this may be an option,

Also many guest houses around the UK, you could have a look at the Lake District, go up to Cumbria nice country side there, take a look at Scotland, and the Highlands also there's the South West and the Cotwolds, lots to keep you going for a while ...

London er well, make it a quick seen it visit ect,

Best of luck on your travels,
Old Apr 18th 2003, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about East Anglia...Suffolk/Norfolk? The countryside is quite understated, but still pretty in what you might term quite an 'English' way...villages, rolling countryside, old churches, great little pubs etc. also some nice patches of coastline, and if you wanted to head into London its reasonably close (1-2 hours maybe, depending on where you are)
just a thought...
Old Apr 20th 2003, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

MaggieLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst I appreciate that we all think the grass is always greener, and you dont know what you'v got until you loose it,

England does have some realy nice quaint places, and generally local people are very friendly. I live in a small village in Leicestershire (have all my life) surrounded by some lovely countryside, but not too remote that we cannot reach towns and cities.

You will need to be able to drive if you dont plan to live in a town, as the bus service and Taxis dont tend to fare very well out in a lot of villages. We have one Bus to town on Tues morning, returns an hour later, and into town only on Friday - the Old Dears have to either rush in an hour on Tues, or wait in the bus stop overnight!!!for the next one, and you think I am joking.

OK, you think Australia is getting too small for you - why not take a year out buy a campervan and moosy around the UK, when the snow,wet windy,cold,frosty weather comes hop back to Aus for some rays.
Oh and Cornwall - is beaut..........but property is expensive all over the UK.
And without being too rude if you are getting a little older the cold damp weather in the UK plays havoc with arthritis.
Food for thought ummmmmmm,
Whatever you decide, Good Luck,

PS have you tried Canberra - I find it a realy pleasant heat, clean city, and a lot warmer than England, enjoyable. I only liked Sydney for shopping and sightseeing.
Maggie Lou
Old Apr 20th 2003, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not try posting this here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...?s=&forumid=61 for an answer.

Thanks

Terry
Old Apr 20th 2003, 11:31 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend Poole in Dorset which is where we live. It's a beautiful part of the world with beautiful scenery. Lots of places to visit a short drive away. Our reasons for leaving, before anyone asks, are pretty much the same as a lot of other peoples but ultimately it's something we've wanted to try for a long time and we don't believe in "what if's".

Steph
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 1:53 pm
AdamAnt

Just back from easter in a rental house on the south coast of NSW to find you have further confused us with more delectable choices throughout Britain.

I think we will tafeoff in 2-3 weeks, buy an old car (I'm handy mechanically if needed) and visit some of the suggested areas. Stay in B&B's and Pubs in out-of-the-way areas and see what is on offer for for longer term rentals.

MaggieLou, a friend once described Canberra as "a Monastery for Families". It's a nice, clean, tidy prosperous town with most facilities and with lots of clubs, associations etc. If you prefer being away from the hurly burly, you will probably like it. Albury-Wadonga is another similar choice but not as prosperous.

So thanks muchly to you all, you've been loverly.

Old Apr 27th 2003, 1:56 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ta Muchly!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stoney
Originally posted by pommie bastard
A minor point here how come all these good people who spend so much time rubbishing the UK can find all these nices to live when asked?

I've actually heard you mention a few nice places in WA PB
just another minor point.
To be honest its hard to find that many here , where as Great Britain and Europe would take a life time to cover.

Old Apr 27th 2003, 1:59 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brox
You will upet a few with this post and theres no easy answer to your question there are too many nice spots in the UK to list and its down to feel for a place.
Why buy a home instead get a car and caravan and tour all of the UK and then Southern Europe in the winter months .
Join the National Caravan Club they have sites all over the UK and meet up for weekends and holidays good way to get to know people.

AARGH PB you've just lost all credibility. You're a closet caravanner!!!!!:scared: :scared: :scared:

Never owned one but have been away with friends who did and did enjoy it its cheap and if you get bad weather just move on and find a spot that is better .

Old Apr 27th 2003, 2:15 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Never owned one but have been away with friends who did and did enjoy it its cheap and if you get bad weather just move on and find a spot that is better .

...closet terapins carry their own accomodations??

http://funkman.org/animal/reptile/snappingturtle.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.