Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shouldered Laptop on Arrival and GST

Shouldered Laptop on Arrival and GST

Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shouldered Laptop on Arrival and GST

did you get the retailer to complete the VAT refund paperwork for your purchase? If you did you can claim your VAT back at the airport when you leave the UK
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:32 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Ours was only 3 months old when we arrived in Jan. It never even crossed my mind that they might expect GST for it!! They never looked in our bag either!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by donovandenese
did you get the retailer to complete the VAT refund paperwork for your purchase? If you did you can claim your VAT back at the airport when you leave the UK
I didnt realise I could, I brought it through a third party retailer via amazon.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I just came back in through Sydney again this morning from LA. Got waived directly through without having to queue for the AQIS/Customs scanners.

In fact, in the 6 or 7times I have been through in the last 2 years, everytime they have waived me through and never been scanned. I think its something to do with a code that the passport controller writes on your landing card to show that you are a regular traveller and therefore 'know' the rules.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Jeez - How does a simple question about import duty on a new computer turn into a Mac vs PC flame war?

S
Godwin's law 2.0.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
I have a Macbook Pro running windows XP on Parallels on Leopard, and Pure XP on Bootcamp. It Ironic that Windows runs better on a Mac than IBM.
Keep drinking the kool-aid
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:51 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Just wondering, there is a new dell laptop which I would be interested in buy in the UK for approx £1700.

This laptop on Dell.au is $5700.
Says it all really.

Incidentally, I was looking at the Australian Alienware website today and I noticed immediately that if you buy an Nvidia GeForce 295GTX graphics card with the system it costs about $500 more than buying it separately from someone like www.umart.com.au.

Caveat emptor in these here parts...
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Says it all really.

Incidentally, I was looking at the Australian Alienware website today and I noticed immediately that if you buy an Nvidia GeForce 295GTX graphics card with the system it costs about $500 more than buying it separately from someone like www.umart.com.au.

Caveat emptor in these here parts...

Quite. I've been looking at obtaining a Samsung NC10 netbook, but they are 1/3 more expensive here than in the US. Luckily I am off to the US next month...

S
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Quite. I've been looking at obtaining a Samsung NC10 netbook, but they are 1/3 more expensive here than in the US. Luckily I am off to the US next month...

S
Better look out for a 110 or a 120, the new models have superceded the nc10 - even more battery life!

I took a shinnneee Sony through and there were no eyelids batted - nor the £8ks worth of camera kit in the 17kg backpack.....! God bless the BA hand luggage policy!

Twins