Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shouldered Laptop on Arrival and GST

Shouldered Laptop on Arrival and GST

Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all
Default Shouldered Laptop on Arrival and GST

Hi all

Just wondering, there is a new dell laptop which I would be interested in buy in the UK for approx £1700.

This laptop on Dell.au is $5700.

If I brought it here and shouldered it as my hand luggage, is there any potential that the customs bods may ask me to pay GST as it will be clearly less than 12 months old?

Regards

Sean
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shouldered Laptop on Arrival and GST

Wasnt it a present from your grandma and you have not got a clue about laptops and how much they cost......
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Hi all

Just wondering, there is a new dell laptop which I would be interested in buy in the UK for approx £1700.

If I brought it here and shouldered it as my hand luggage, is there any potential that the customs bods may ask me to pay GST as it will be clearly less than 12 months old?

Regards

Sean
Just make sure it doesn't look like its new - get files and stuff loaded on it before you come

I let my nieces loose on the one I bought in the UK last year, they covered it in stickers, no way did it look new after that!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Wasnt it a present from your grandma and you have not got a clue about laptops and how much they cost......
I wish it was a present from grandma lol.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:25 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Install XP on it then it will both look old and work properly
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

On a serioius note I have had my laptop over my shoulder a few times coming into Oz and never a question asked about it. But it still came from grandma.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
On a serioius note I have had my laptop over my shoulder a few times coming into Oz and never a question asked about it. But it still came from grandma.
I can concur with this too...Never was I asked about my shouldered laptop...They don't even ask me to open the laptop bag!

Of course, had they asked then my gandma is useful then
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Install XP on it then it will both look old and work properly
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:31 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Regards

Sean
£1700 sounds a heck of a lot of money for a Dell, with or without XP
PM me & I might be able to point you to somewhere cheaper
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

For £1700 you could get a lovely, lovely new Macbook Pro. A million times better than a PC
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

I have a Macbook Pro running windows XP on Parallels on Leopard, and Pure XP on Bootcamp. It Ironic that Windows runs better on a Mac than IBM.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Decided on the Sony Vaio Z21ZN/X for £1850 instead of £2500 as the Alienware Dell was 7 week wait time for delivery and I go in three weeks.

The Sony looks lovely and a little more concealable lol

Cheers for the responses tho.

Sean
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
It Ironic that Windows runs better on a Mac than IBM.
I'm an OSX user myself, but you do know that the claim you just repeated, which was made by Apple in an advert, was ruled false by the advertising authorities and that Apple were fined for making such a ludicrous suggestion?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:30 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Decided on the Sony Vaio Z21ZN/X for £1850 instead of £2500 as the Alienware Dell was 7 week wait time for delivery and I go in three weeks.

The Sony looks lovely and a little more concealable lol

Cheers for the responses tho.

Sean
Ah - an Alienware laptop - now the price makes sense. Man they're nice. I own two (increasingly elderly) Vaio laptops - both of which have been excellent.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:29 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
For £1700 you could get a lovely, lovely new Macbook Pro. A million times better than a PC

Jeez - How does a simple question about import duty on a new computer turn into a Mac vs PC flame war?

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.