Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Originally Posted by Weebie
There is nothing wrong with living in the outer burbs. Just be aware that the locals probably won't want anything to do with you if you choose to live out there.

With regards to the OP who is clearly a professional would he want this if he went to Perth? I doubt it. Vegemite and Amazulu I'm sure you are aware of this.

Cheers
Use the quote system!

I get on well with all my neighbours - some of whom are even 'professionals'. I find the people where I live to, generally, be very friendly

A lot of people from the western suburbs can be really up themselves
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
This is a first i think, but i actually agree with Weebie on this one. I think if someone said my life was going to be spent in the sprawling burbs that are the foundation of Perth being known as Dullsville then i would rather slit my wrists with a rusty spoon.
I have never figured why anyone would move to the other side of the world to live in one of the big burbs. What was the point. Might as well have stayed in blighty and used all the money spent comming here on some extra holidays to sunny climes for the sunshine fix.
I also sort of agree with you. I don't think I could live in one of those cookie-cutter, legoland outer suburbs that make up too much of urban Australia. Saying that, there are a lot of suburbs that I would not wanted to have lived in the UK too
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
This is a first i think, but i actually agree with Weebie on this one. I think if someone said my life was going to be spent in the sprawling burbs that are the foundation of Perth being known as Dullsville then i would rather slit my wrists with a rusty spoon.
I have never figured why anyone would move to the other side of the world to live in one of the big burbs. What was the point. Might as well have stayed in blighty and used all the money spent comming here on some extra holidays to sunny climes for the sunshine fix.
Nothing wrong in living in a sprawling lego land suburb with no trees with identikit cheaply built houses BUT paying the average going price of $500K is a complete piss take. The outer suburbs have SFA going for them other than the beach. Facilities are minimal, shopping centres all the same, Maccas planted everywhere.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Ph-UK-Au is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The 9000+ a month after tax sounds good, but OP has to remember thats only as long as they can claim LAFHA, once that is gone they will be looking at only 7000 approx a month.
This is a spot on view. We've been working out our matrices base on different scenarios and this is what we actually got.

With our kind of lifestyle, the years under 457 will be good. But as we can't risk extending more than 2 years staying under temporary visa, we'd have to move to PR, and so the LAFHA will be given up --- that's when we'll feel the big difference. He'd be going back to the employer with all his comments on the contract and we'd see how it would go.

Thanks for the comments and I'd definitely give an update.

Cheers,
Ph-UK-(Au)
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:42 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I havent read the whole thread but my opinion would be that for 80K GBP I;d want 200K AUD
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
. I don't think I could live in one of those cookie-cutter
I'm after some 7 and 8 x 16 Fuchs please.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I havent read the whole thread but my opinion would be that for 80K GBP I;d want 200K AUD
No way.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Opinions on architecture are obviously subjective, but I thought people called Perth dull because they thought there was nothing to do.

Surely ANY British town/city has its fair share of boring/ugly (again, subjective) housing. If having a proportion of boring/ugly housing is what makes a place dull then, in my opinion, London is pretty dull too.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

floss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Weebie
There is nothing wrong with living in the outer burbs. Just be aware that the locals probably won't want anything to do with you if you choose to live out there.

With regards to the OP who is clearly a professional would he want this if he went to Perth? I doubt it. Vegemite and Amazulu I'm sure you are aware of this.

Cheers
I find it sad that you have such a distorted/low view on Perth 'locals'. I'm a Perth local (kind of) and I don't live in the 'outer suburbs' but I have friends all over Perth. I'm heading out to Alexander Heights to visit our closest friends as we speak and I'm not an exception. Most people I know have friends from all over. Living in one area doesn't prohibit them from being friends. Jesus, we're not living in West Side Story, we're adults.

BTW, I wouldn't like to move from 81k in the UK to $130K in Perth. Just my opinion.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floss in dubai
Jesus, we're not living in West Side Story, we're adults.
I always think of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, when I put on my posh frock and leave the outer suburbs to go into the big city for the day.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floss in dubai
I find it sad that you have such a distorted/low view on Perth 'locals'. I'm a Perth local (kind of) and I don't live in the 'outer suburbs' but I have friends all over Perth. I'm heading out to Alexander Heights to visit our closest friends as we speak and I'm not an exception. Most people I know have friends from all over. Living in one area doesn't prohibit them from being friends. Jesus, we're not living in West Side Story, we're adults.

BTW, I wouldn't like to move from 81k in the UK to $130K in Perth. Just my opinion.
Don't myself find Weebie's remarks in any way distorted. By and large Perth folk keep themselves to themselves and prefer to maintain a distance from their neighbours.

Do agree though on your second point. No way would i move out here if on 81,000k in UK. Far better off staying there.

Last edited by the troubadour; Mar 29th 2011 at 3:33 am. Reason: add
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Opinions on architecture are obviously subjective, but I thought people called Perth dull because they thought there was nothing to do.

Surely ANY British town/city has its fair share of boring/ugly (again, subjective) housing. If having a proportion of boring/ugly housing is what makes a place dull then, in my opinion, London is pretty dull too.
Dull is not the term i would use to describe London..not in same way folk use that word to describe Perth,at any rate.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:46 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
oh Tiger, oh Air Asia X........

recent fares for us:
$700 return to London
$250 return to Singapore
$300 return to KL

Tiger have advertised $1 fares to Melbourne this week
So true.........
By some intensive pikeying around on the internet I've just scored a $300 trip to KL from Coolangatta, two weeks in Borneo ($60 to Kota Kinabalu from KL) , fly from KL to Colombo in Sri Lanka ($88) 1 week Sri Lanka then Sri Lanka air to London 125 quid. It's all there if you are flexible and willing to rough it - but to be fair unless you take business class all flights are rubbish anyway.

Last time I paid for extra leg room on Qantas I was mortified to discover I was sitting in the baby section - after 10 hours of screaming, puke, relentless cooing and a bottle of breast milk dripping on me I realise I'd rather have been taped to a wing.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Dull is not the term i would use to describe London..not in same way folk use that word to describe Perth,at any rate.

Me neither. But I don't think Perth's dull either.

But people were saying Perth's known as Dullsville because some of the housing is a bit boring. My point was that some of the housing is a bit boring in most places, including London.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:38 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the againsts. I think $130k from £80K in the UK would be a considerable drop in living standard. It might be a decent wage for Australia but people generally are not happy when their life style takes a step downhill. Check out the price of shopping, decent cars, house prices and it sticks out a mile that you would need 2.2 to 2.5 times to equate to a similar standard of living. Beaches, sun and sea are nice, I agree, but they soon lose their 'must have' appeal and I, for one, would swap them for some culture, pubs with atmosphere, decent food and shopping any day of the week. Why not take a sabbatical year and travel around. That probably would have been plenty for us but we're committed for at least another 12 months...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.