Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we stay or should we go?????????

Should we stay or should we go?????????

Old Dec 29th 2002, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should we stay or should we go?????????

We have sold the house, got the visa's and plan to go in March but..........we don't have a clue what part, we have a brother in Adelaide and quite a few friends who will all help us out but, I want to go to Coff's Harbour (where we filmed with channel 4), but we do not know anyone there, hubby want's to go to Adelaide (but he love's Coff's Harbour as well) but he feels he needs the support and advice from family and friends.

On top of that his boss has offered him a massive pay rise, car e.t.c to stay here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The kid's hate us for taken them away from their friend's and the family.

Someone help...........................Please

Sue
Old Dec 29th 2002, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

aliceJ is an unknown quantity at this point

What a rotten boss! That sounds like a real dilemma.

Are you going to travel around looking for somewhere to settle, if so your kids could see it as a massive holiday.

We haven't got a clue where we're going either and are going to travel around a bit. Our kids are young enough to divert from the realities of separation.

My other half reckons he'd need to be offered at least £20k more and a location change and a different job before he'd even consider staying. I'd still want to go though I think. Mind you, you live in lovely Cornwall so I'd be tempted to stay too.

Chin up!
Old Dec 29th 2002, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

springflower will become famous soon enough

Dear Sue

I really sympathise with your dilema, but if it was me and probably a lot more on this NG with a house sold and a visa in your pocket, then definitely would have to give aussie a chance. Just think of all the reasons you wanted to go in the first place, and as for the kids they will thank you for it later Im sure. You have to at least go and stay for a while, you can always come back if it doesnt work out.

I cant wait for the day when we are on that plane heading out to Aussie even if some days I do wonder if its going to be everything I dream of, but unless I do it I will always wonder.

I hope you can make a decision soon and what ever you decide i wish you good luck and happiness,

Jan
Old Dec 29th 2002, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should we stay or should we go?????????

Originally posted by sue5665
We have sold the house, got the visa's and plan to go in March but..........we don't have a clue what part, we have a brother in Adelaide and quite a few friends who will all help us out but, I want to go to Coff's Harbour (where we filmed with channel 4), but we do not know anyone there, hubby want's to go to Adelaide (but he love's Coff's Harbour as well) but he feels he needs the support and advice from family and friends.

On top of that his boss has offered him a massive pay rise, car e.t.c to stay here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The kid's hate us for taken them away from their friend's and the family.

Sue
It`s a shame you did`nt live in the south east it would make your decision easier.Try to agree even go to adelaide to get used to oz.then move on wherever!If I dont get my visa I`ll have your house in cornwall!
Old Dec 30th 2002, 12:49 am
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive lived in devon for 14 years now and surf cornwall almost every weekend ,yes it has to be probably the best place in the u.k to live but it is still the u.k
a pay rise could be a redundency in 6 months you will really kick yourself then.just remember dont be a 'I ALMOST DONE THAT ONCE YEARS AGO' type of person because you will then never know.Life can be exiting if you give it a chance.........
Old Dec 30th 2002, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Sue
Hi Sue

We were in the same position as you earlier this year. My husband was offered promotion, more money etc, we had a lovely house in the country and our children were doing very well in a great primary school.

We have now been in Perth 6 months and I'm not going to say everything is great, at times we've looked back and thought 'what have we done'?!! We came to Perth knowing very few people (only friends of friends), we are very independent people so for us, not knowing anyone was better, we could make up our own mind about areas to live, jobs, schools etc. without feeling pressured by family, friends etc.

We're not sure whether Australia will be our long term home but we've no regrets about coming here, our children are young and are having a great time, swimming every day, enjoying the outdoor life, we will look back with a smile at the whole experience.

It is stressful, especially if you've left a comfortable, successful, lifestyle behind in the UK, it's hard not to look back. If we'd stayed in England, I KNOW we would have looked back and said "Why didn't we go for it when we had the chance"?

GOOD LUCK - thinking of you.
Old Dec 30th 2002, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Sue, what a dilemma, in a way doing the programme just confused things, I'm sure it would for us. We are going to Adelaide, although job prospects better for me elsewhere. I've had to accept a new job here, start in Feb as no visa yet and I'll have to serve a decent amout of time before I hand in my notice, so this will delay us going (however if the visa had arrived, I wouldn't have needed to do this!!)

Life throws all sorts of wobblies and obstacles at us, you just need to adapt your plan to get around them.

I'm sure your path will become clear. The pay rise is a strange one as it'll take a while for you to feel the benefit, so weigh up, house price changes, effect of delaying etc before deciding, it'll feel good to tell em where to shove it...He..He..

Any help you require just post...

Mash..

Sue
Old Dec 30th 2002, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

The payrise may look great in the short time, but unless it is a vast amount of money I doubt it will change your lifestyle in the UK. I know that even if I was offered double what we earn we still would not stay, we want to live in Aus for the lifestyle and opportunities, not just for money.
Think about the reasons why you wanted to emigrate in the first place, was it because you are not earning enough money? If not then why should that make you stay?

Plenty of people emigrate without having any family or friends out there ( we will be for a start!). I would choose the location that you feel would suit you best, maybe make a trip to Adelaide when you arrive and see what you think.
Unless you are really close to your family out there, I would chose to live in the best place for you. You will soon make friends and family can sometimes be a pain in the neck!!

Lastly, ignore your kids negativity! you know what is best for them, I think there are very few children who go out to Aus and hate it, it usually gives them a lot more freedom and a better life.

Best of luck
Tina
Old Dec 30th 2002, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

P.S a company car may sound good but in reality it will mean you lose all of your tax allowance and therefore pay a fortune for it!
My husband has a minus tax allowance and we only get a boring old Ford Focus, if you get a better car you will pay even more.
Log on to Inland Revenue site for more info.

Tina
Old Dec 30th 2002, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Suggest that your Husband offers his services and consults with his UK boss over the Internet. £50 for a webcam and mic on a PC each end and you can Videoconference (with Netmeeting).

Consider though that March will be the onset of Winter downunder. Coffs would be more temperate a place to stay out the winter than Adelaide. But Adelade is surely a lot bigger population wise than Coffs.
Old Dec 30th 2002, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default support needed!!!

Thanks for all the support,
Blatchpack came today to quote on shipping, one quote for Adelaide and one for Coff's Harbour, Pickfords coming on the 6th Jan, it's cold and raining in 'Sunny Cornwall'.
We are now thinking of starting in Adelaide (at the moment)and see what happens. I will keep you all updated on what happens.

Confused Sue
Old Dec 30th 2002, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Stan J
Suggest that your Husband offers his services and consults with his UK boss over the Internet. £50 for a webcam and mic on a PC each end and you can Videoconference (with Netmeeting).

Consider though that March will be the onset of Winter downunder. Coffs would be more temperate a place to stay out the winter than Adelaide. But Adelade is surely a lot bigger population wise than Coffs.
March the beginning of Winter? We came over in May and it was still very, very warm (Brisbane). "Winter" in this part - and I would have thought Coffs Harbour too - usually starts around the end of May and goes through until the end of August...