Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we sell or should we wait?

Should we sell or should we wait?

Old Jun 16th 2004, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Question Should we sell or should we wait?

Thats our question, we have applied for a 137 STNI,as you all know, and looking at timelines could take between 3 to 6 months.

So, after the doom mongering government have said houses have slowed down selling, and prices could be falling, should we bite the bullet now and bang it on the market or do we wait for the visa and risk not selling before we have to validate.

Just when we thought it was down hill from here there are dilemma's I suppose until we finally get on the plane.

Advice anyone

Old Jun 16th 2004, 9:36 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres no way of predicting what house prices will do. Personally I don't think they're going to start falling back any time soon. London may be an exception and I wouldn't even think about speculating whats going on down there.

In general though, people still seem quite happy to borrow money to get houses, and I heard a report saying that there are far fewer houses on the market than around the time of the 1990's price crash so they're in demand, hence the price keeps going up.

If you've decided to sell up the choice is just whether to sell before you know you've got a visa or wait til its granted......

You've got to figure that out for yourself I think.....do what feels right for you. If it all goes to rat sh*t then you just change your plans and make the best of it.....There are no wrong decisions

Marko
Old Jun 16th 2004, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

CtrlAltDel is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I would say wait. Firstly, your application could get drawn out, and you wouldn't want to keep prospective buyers hanging on while you wait for visa to come through; especially if, God forbid, your application gets turned down.

On that sort of timescale, I wouldn't worry about the state of the housing market. Even if it does start heading downwards, you're still likely to end up with a huge amount of disposable capital, what with the differences in the level of standard of living.

What my wife and I are planning on doing is renting out our current place; this gives us two advantages: firstly, a nice monthly stream of income while we find our feet (£1400+ PCM would go a *long* way Down Under), and gives us time to scout out the area where we intend to settle down better; and secondly, should we find that we just can't hack it, we have somewhere to return to if we decide to return to Blighty.

P.S. Just submitted my skillls assessment form to the Australian Computer Society today, now to sit back and wait a couple of months before we can think about sending in the main application.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 9:46 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

isn't there some taxation issue with the amount you earn from income on renting out your property in the UK while you're in Australia.

We're in the same boat as you - just submitted our ACS assessment and we also plan to rent our house out rather than selling.

Perhaps someone else here can clarify the point about profit/taxation on your rental income?

Thanks

Marko
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:10 pm
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

There's only one decision really...and you've already made it.
That's to 'move' downunder.

Usually that involves selling the house so lets face it, it's got to be sold at some point so don't worry about...get it sold get the money...cut your losses and get on that plane man!!!!

Happy days ahead!!!!beer:

On the down side look at it as we do...if all goes tits up just buy another house!

Dave :