Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we go for it? NZ

Should we go for it? NZ

Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

cayne tollett is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Should we go for it? NZ

Hi to you all. Please can anyone offer us any sound advice.

We have been in the process of applying to immigrate to NZ since Jan '03 under the General Skills category. As you all probably know, this got withdrawn in July last year and we have waited until December for the new category to be launched.
We have all the forms completed, all job references received, property and equity ready to be sold and transferred to NZ, police reports, medicals reports, all vaccinations up to date. Basically we have everything done apart from two items.
1. I need to get Provisional Practising License to work as an Electrician (which I could probably do quicker if I was in NZ)
2. I need to get a job (also prbably a lot easier to do if I was in NZ).
We have twins that are only two years old. My wife really feels we should get going and finish these last points off when we get to NZ and then submit the whole application for residence.
I am wary because of the children. Am I being to cautious or sensible? My wife has done all paperwork up to now and feels she is happy to finish everything off over there.
If your opinion is that we should go, what do we need to apply for, as looking on the site, we have two options - work visa or work permit. Help please!!!:scared:
Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:56 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should we go for it? NZ

In your field of expertise, you will probably find it very easy to get a job offer on the internet/ telephone - you're in high demand right now. So you might as well do it the right way with a job offer, get the work visa (converts to work permit when you arrive in NZ). You will probably get a visa over the counter on the same day as app in NZIS London if you satisfy the (straightforward) requirements.

Children - don't worry, at that age they will just enjoy the whole experience.

Originally posted by cayne tollett

We have been in the process of applying to immigrate to NZ since Jan '03 under the General Skills category. As you all probably know, this got withdrawn in July last year and we have waited until December for the new category to be launched.
We have all the forms completed, all job references received, property and equity ready to be sold and transferred to NZ, police reports, medicals reports, all vaccinations up to date. Basically we have everything done apart from two items.
1. I need to get Provisional Practising License to work as an Electrician (which I could probably do quicker if I was in NZ)
We have twins that are only two years old. My wife really feels we should get going and finish these last points off when we get to NZ and then submit the whole application for residence.
I am wary because of the children. Am I being to cautious or sensible? My wife has done all paperwork up to now and feels she is happy to finish everything off over there.
If your opinion is that we should go, what do we need to apply for, as looking on the site, we have two options - work visa or work permit. Help please!!!:scared:
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

chris@insurance is an unknown quantity at this point

I would concur about your likelihood of finding a suitable employment position.

Tradespeople are in considerable demand right now in NZ, and I suspect for the foreseeable future as well.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Should we go for it? NZ

Originally posted by cayne tollett

Good Luck.

It sounds as if you are 2/3 of the way there (or 18/27 whichever is more).

Good luck with the job front. Keep us posted.