Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we give Melbourne a go?????

Should we give Melbourne a go?????

Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Should we give Melbourne a go?????

Originally Posted by lauralollipop

Its so strange cos Some nights its been so hot that I havent slept, but I was very cold last night, and we dont have any central heating in the house, so Im headin off to Kmart tomorrow to invest in some fluffy slippers and a warmer quilt cover!!!!

laura
x
Hi Laura

I don't want to scare but if you were cold last night and the night before, then I would strongly recommend getting a good gas heater (or some sort of heating). These evenings haven't been cold compared to mid-winters in good ol' Victoria.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 2:35 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Hi Laura

I don't want to scare but if you were cold last night and the night before, then I would strongly recommend getting a good gas heater (or some sort of heating). These evenings haven't been cold compared to mid-winters in good ol' Victoria.
And a hot water bottle, electric blanket, bed socks and hat.And those doggie door draught excluder things. I feel the cold
Old Mar 9th 2005, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hevs
And a hot water bottle, electric blanket, bed socks and hat.And those doggie door draught excluder things. I feel the cold
Our hot water bottles came out on Saturday night and the heating was turned on Sunday. I feel the cold too
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Smiths has toilets on the left. Woolami has a surf life saving club high up with toilets etc underneath. There are rocks and very srong rips at both. Both nice, but Woolami IMO is more rugged, and better still more parking. Strangly enough though it always feels quieter than smiths
woolami is not for beginners.. very strong rips and the waves dump pretty hard,\. Smiths is a much easier beach break and easier to paddle out. Woolami is still a great beach though - but as as a newbie surfer i wouldn't venture there....

LauraL- catchup later - we will also prob be going on sunday - to Smiths beach (with Island surf shop near the car park)

H
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenmaine
woolami is not for beginners.. very strong rips and the waves dump pretty hard,\. Smiths is a much easier beach break and easier to paddle out. Woolami is still a great beach though - but as as a newbie surfer i wouldn't venture there....

LauraL- catchup later - we will also prob be going on sunday - to Smiths beach (with Island surf shop near the car park)

H
Helen

I just saw your post. How is your hubby's job going at the Uni of Melb and where did you settle again? My brother ventured into 'enemy territory' a couple of weeks ago (from Monash to Melb Uni) as he was a speaker at a seminar (on historical maps I think).

OzTennis
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:16 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hello

Hevs,
yes i agree with the patrol thinggie, i sat and watched them the other week, and i was thinking what a great job, i would be class at that, chatting and sunbathing all day, if i had so save anyone tho id be *****ed, or they at least would be!

Yes Woolami is a nicer beach, but JC wouldnt let me surf there, so he has a surf there and then takes me to smiths, he says too dangerous aswell, so i'll leave that to the pros and jc, might see ya there on Sunday, its gonna be 32 degrees - yipee!!

Shelfish,

I am so scared now, I am gonna freeze my tits off, bloody hell i have even had the heater on tonight, I am sat right in front of it. I might have to head for Perth next month, I was hoping to do at least a year here, but it might prove too cold for me

Shame cos I love it here, its just the cold weather lets it down. I cant get heating installed as its a rented house, i am heading to ikea tomorrow to get the warmerst quilt cover i can find, some fluffy slippers and some thick woolie pjs.........hopefully it will get warmer before it gets colder, if ya know what I mean!

night nite

laura
xxx
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:24 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL Laura its not that cold its just that the houses are designed with the plan of them being kept cool. Once you get over the shock and shop accordingly its not that bad.

We don't surf, but the kids are becoming excllent boogie boarders and don't mind being smashed around one bit (i panick the whole time mind you and all i get is )

We may go down there at the w/e but not sunday as theres a bombers picnic at windy hill, i might get to chat to some of the boys
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:16 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL Laura its not that cold its just that the houses are designed with the plan of them being kept cool. Once you get over the shock and shop accordingly its not that bad.

We don't surf, but the kids are becoming excllent boogie boarders and don't mind being smashed around one bit (i panick the whole time mind you and all i get is )

We may go down there at the w/e but not sunday as theres a bombers picnic at windy hill, i might get to chat to some of the boys

Hevs,

what does PMSL mean?

Bet your kids are cool, I see all the kids on surf boads etc, looking dead cool, we cant wait to have surf babies, bet they love it here, beats whatever kids do in England doesnt it??

see you soon

laura
x
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:36 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Hevs,

what does PMSL mean?

Bet your kids are cool, I see all the kids on surf boads etc, looking dead cool, we cant wait to have surf babies, bet they love it here, beats whatever kids do in England doesnt it??

see you soon

laura
x
pmsl= p****d myself laughing

How are you doing and when does Jonathon want to start that drinking club?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by fireeater
pmsl= p****d myself laughing

How are you doing and when does Jonathon want to start that drinking club?

hi

PMSL - Cool, I like it, think I have heard that before now you mentioned it.

Jonathan, will start the drinking club as soon as you want, but cant this weekend as the whole weekend is dedicated to the long awaited arrival of Montu, we have just got back from KMart now, spent almost $200 on her already, new bed, lead, bones,bowls, food etc.......

I'll have a word and we will have to arrange something, looking forward to meeting you soon....

laura
x
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:12 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

PMSL - Cool, I like it, think I have heard that before now you mentioned it.

Jonathan, will start the drinking club as soon as you want, but cant this weekend as the whole weekend is dedicated to the long awaited arrival of Montu, we have just got back from KMart now, spent almost $200 on her already, new bed, lead, bones,bowls, food etc.......

I'll have a word and we will have to arrange something, looking forward to meeting you soon....

laura
x
Bet you are so excited Laura!

Have a lovely weekend with her, and get in touch soon.

Cas xx
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:26 am
Cut on the dotted line...

Location: In the midst of Melb, right a little, down a little
gadgetMan will become famous soon enough

Hi..

Its funny we think wollami is the better of smiths and woolami.. This being based on access, safety facilities etc etc.. Hadnt really considered the rip side of things, though the waves are stronger\harder at woolami which our kids seem to prefer..

Also the times we've been to smiths its been blanketed in shitty seaweed and the rocks amongst the waves can be a bit off putting..

As for the cold, well we're not veterans like Hevs only ariving in the midst of the winter last year, so its difficult to comment..

However we bought a luvery house in Oct with a huge wood burner in the formal room which when it gets going, which only the wife can do seeing I'm a failure at the gathering and burning wood routine (well its what women used to do in the cave man days so shes born to it .. LOL), heats the whole house..

Cheerio
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:43 pm
Merlot

Hiya Laura

Weather still shocking in Teesside, Montu coming home, you should be smiling from ear to ear!!!!

M

Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by gadgetMan
Hi..

Its funny we think wollami is the better of smiths and woolami.. This being based on access, safety facilities etc etc.. Hadnt really considered the rip side of things, though the waves are stronger\harder at woolami which our kids seem to prefer..

Also the times we've been to smiths its been blanketed in shitty seaweed and the rocks amongst the waves can be a bit off putting..

As for the cold, well we're not veterans like Hevs only ariving in the midst of the winter last year, so its difficult to comment..

However we bought a luvery house in Oct with a huge wood burner in the formal room which when it gets going, which only the wife can do seeing I'm a failure at the gathering and burning wood routine (well its what women used to do in the cave man days so shes born to it .. LOL), heats the whole house..

Cheerio
Log fire sounds lovely, Can I come over to yours for a warm, when it gets cold??? pleeeassseee......???

Merolt,

yes tomorrows the big day, its labour day aswell so we get Monday off, and the forcast is HOT,HOT,HOT!!!

27 today, 30 sat, 32 sun 33 mon - cant wait!!!!

laura
xxx