Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we buy dollars?

Should we buy dollars?

Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:14 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we buy dollars?

Remember that if you are a UK resident and domiciled individual the Australian source interest income is taxable in the UK, albeit with a tax credit available for the 10% withholding tax already suffered ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Just to add to that, if you don't provide a TFN your bank will automatically deduct NRT (non-resident tax) which is at the rate of 10% (of the interest). Thus for example the 6.7% gross TD would clear 6.03% net after NRT (0.9 x 6.7)/ 6.8% = 6.12% etc. On the other hand, those with TFN's would pay tax at a higher rate than 10% so I wouldn't see not having a TFN as a disadvantage for a non-resident.

As said, get advice, esp for what is potentially just over $0.5 mill. The rate though is good at the present time it must be said compared to the last year or so and you are going to get more $'s probably than those who have moved in 2005 or 2006. Good luck!

OzTennis
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice

Hi Again,

I know this topic went dead but..........

Could we open up a bank account in the UK to hold our Aus $? (i.e. with our current bankers, Lloyds or Abbey).

Carol
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:37 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cartel
Hi Again,

I know this topic went dead but..........

Could we open up a bank account in the UK to hold our Aus $? (i.e. with our current bankers, Lloyds or Abbey).

Carol
I used to have €uro and US$ accounts so don't see why not... But why would you want to...? If you're going to change into A$ anyway you'd be much better off having the money in Oz and earning decent interest on it... If you do get a A$ account in the UK check what interest they'll pay on your credit balance... you might be shocked...! You can open bank accounts with many of the main Australian banks from the UK... check out some of their websites...

HTH
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:04 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We had US$ and AUS$ accounts (as Currency unit trust funds) with Fidelity: their interest rates were not that much less than the equivalents in the US and Oz.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:24 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We had US$ and AUS$ accounts (as Currency unit trust funds) with Fidelity: their interest rates were not that much less than the equivalents in the US and Oz.
But they're not Bank accounts are they... How easy (or difficult) is it to get at your money...? I had several ISA's with Fidelity some years ago and the dealing charges added up a bit...
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:31 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
But they're not Bank accounts are they... How easy (or difficult) is it to get at your money...? I had several ISA's with Fidelity some years ago and the dealing charges added up a bit...
It was actually one fund, with the option of several dozen different currencies. Also it is an OEIC - open ended - so there is no dealing cost involved. We treated it just like an online bank account: when we wanted to send cash to the States, for example, we just phoned or faxed Fidelity and they cashed up the appropriate number of units and transferred the US$ to our account in America - no charge.

We found them extremely helpful, used them for years. The staff were also of a different calibre to most other fund managers, who tend to employ the "barrow boy" trader types!