Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we book flights before being granted visa?

Should we book flights before being granted visa?

Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

loolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really nice
Default Should we book flights before being granted visa?

Title says it all really.
We applied for a 457 visa online on the 18th October, meds hopefully received on 8/11 although online thingy not updated yet!
I have been looking at flights for mid January and found some quite reasonable ones but do I risk booking them if visa not granted yet?
I don't think they will grant the visa until I have my registration with the nurses board either which I am also waiting for. I applied to Tasmanian Nursing Board on 19th October but they requested my original ed certificate which I only received on the 7/11 so got that in the post quick.
All this waiting is horrible, feel like we are in limbo and just want them to say yes because until they do there is still a chance that they can say no!
Sorry for the waffle but thinking about nothing else at the moment!
Fingers crossed we all hear good things soon.
Laura x
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Should we book flights before being granted visa?

Originally Posted by loolaa1909
Title says it all really.
We applied for a 457 visa online on the 18th October, meds hopefully received on 8/11 although online thingy not updated yet!
I have been looking at flights for mid January and found some quite reasonable ones but do I risk booking them if visa not granted yet?
I don't think they will grant the visa until I have my registration with the nurses board either which I am also waiting for. I applied to Tasmanian Nursing Board on 19th October but they requested my original ed certificate which I only received on the 7/11 so got that in the post quick.
All this waiting is horrible, feel like we are in limbo and just want them to say yes because until they do there is still a chance that they can say no!
Sorry for the waffle but thinking about nothing else at the moment!
Fingers crossed we all hear good things soon.
Laura x
I'd have to say no. Just my opinion though.

Trish
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

loolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really nice

Fair enough, another quick question, do flights get much more expensive the closer to the departure date you book them like they do with companies such as Easyjet?
Laura x
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:36 pm
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loolaa1909
Fair enough, another quick question, do flights get much more expensive the closer to the departure date you book them like they do with companies such as Easyjet?
Laura x
Not really.

Easyjet and similar companies work out how much money they want from a flight, and then band the ticket sales. The first few cost £x. the next 50 cost £x + £30. etc etc. This way, you go to get the advertised cheap flights and still buy the more expensive ones once they've got you on their website.

Scheduled airline flights tend not to do this, in my experience. Tehy just advertise the flights and that is the cost, no matter whether you book then, or two weeks later.

If anything, some flights get cheaper as it gets really close to departure, so they can reduce their losses. But this only tends to happen on out-of-season flights and usually very close to the departure date

Unless you are planning to fly out with a chartered flight of course? Someone like Thompson (I know they don't fly to Oz, but you know what I mean)? they will have price fluctuation similar to Easyjet etc.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks DMH, that is good to know and in which case I think I will leave the flights until we know for sure.
Thanks to everyone for their replies, I knew you lot would help me see sense.
Laura x
Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

I booked my flights for Jan before my visa grant and then panicked! It's all worked out for me, visa granted 4th Oct, fly on 6th Jan. Don't know whether you should or not, just bear in mind if visa does not arrive and you've booked tickets, how much will it cost you to change flights or cancel. Alot of the cheaper flights out there aren't flexible and you end up paying alot to alter them!
Good luck with your move