Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I tell DIMIA that we are engaged?

Should I tell DIMIA that we are engaged?

Old Mar 1st 2004, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Should I tell DIMIA that we are engaged?

We are doing a de-facto front end loaded visa and as per my previous post, we have just got engaged. Should/can I tell DIMIA or will they make us go for the Fiance visa?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Old Mar 1st 2004, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

donsp10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should I tell DIMIA that we are engaged?

Originally posted by Natbat
We are doing a de-facto front end loaded visa and as per my previous post, we have just got engaged. Should/can I tell DIMIA or will they make us go for the Fiance visa?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Hi, we front end loaded our de-facto application from london and also included engagement cards, reciept for ring and a copy of the announcement in the herald-sun back home. They never quieried why we were not applying for the prospective marriage visa, and granted the defacto spouse visa. I think it shows that you are planning a continued life together in the future.
And they must know it takes more than 9 months to plan a wedding!!
Good luck with your application
regards, Donna
Old Mar 1st 2004, 12:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think the fiance one is designed for people who for whatever reason haven't manged to live together for long enough - if you can prove residence, just stick with the de facto. I've heard of several people on here going on de facto when they are engaged, and its far less of a hassle all round - if you go on a fiance visa, you have to go through all the agro again after you're married - and its just as nerve-wracking waiting the second time round, believe me!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Pollyana
I think the fiance one is designed for people who for whatever reason haven't manged to live together for long enough - if you can prove residence, just stick with the de facto. I've heard of several people on here going on de facto when they are engaged, and its far less of a hassle all round - if you go on a fiance visa, you have to go through all the agro again after you're married - and its just as nerve-wracking waiting the second time round, believe me!
Thanks Donna and Polly,

I think we will stick with not saying anything, don't want to put a spanner in the works!!

Bye for now

Nat
Old Mar 1st 2004, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Muddywaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Natbat

Any help appreciated

Thanks
i think its a good idea to tell your parents 1st and tell everybody else afterwards
Old Mar 1st 2004, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Muddywaters
i think its a good idea to tell your parents 1st and tell everybody else afterwards
LOL

Luckily Mum was there when he popped the question! They all thought I had hurt myself on the ski slopes so came dashing over to see what had happened.

Also fella asked my Dad the Friday before, if he could marry me (bless)