Should I take the plunge?

Wikiposts

Should I take the plunge?

Old Jun 8th 2007, 7:45 am
Just Joined

simonfitba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I take the plunge?

UPDATE:

Well, they've upped their offer a bit and this is the final one. Still not sure if I'll take it.

Don't like the bit that says salary "inclusive of overtime, penalty rates, allowances". Does this mean any LAFH Allowance (not sure if I will even get one) is included in the salary?

Also don't like that overtime is included. What's the point in saying a 38-hour week then? It might as well say "we'll work you like a dog if we like and won't pay you a penny extra".

Contract: Australian Workplace Agreement (for more information refer www.oea.gov.au)
Annual salary: $65,000 (inclusive of overtime, penalty rates, allowances)
Salary review: 12 months after commencement and every 12 months after this date
Superannuation: 9 per cent of salary
Hours: 38 hours per week
Annual leave: 6 weeks 3 days
Visa: Subject to eligibility, the company will sponsor your employment (Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship - Subclass 457). The costs of obtaining the visa will be borne by the company. Should your employment cease within 12 months of commencement, you will be required to repay these costs.
Medical insurance: As a condition of the 457 visa, you will be required to maintain private medical insurance. The company will assist you to obtain a corporate rate with an insurance provider.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:42 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonfitba
UPDATE:

Well, they've upped their offer a bit and this is the final one. Still not sure if I'll take it.

Don't like the bit that says salary "inclusive of overtime, penalty rates, allowances". Does this mean any LAFH Allowance (not sure if I will even get one) is included in the salary?

Also don't like that overtime is included. What's the point in saying a 38-hour week then? It might as well say "we'll work you like a dog if we like and won't pay you a penny extra".

Contract: Australian Workplace Agreement (for more information refer www.oea.gov.au)
Visa: Subject to eligibility, the company will sponsor your employment (Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship - Subclass 457). The costs of obtaining the visa will be borne by the company. Should your employment cease within 12 months of commencement, you will be required to repay these costs.
Medical insurance: As a condition of the 457 visa, you will be required to maintain private medical insurance. The company will assist you to obtain a corporate rate with an insurance provider.
I think its not a bad deal
Old Jun 8th 2007, 7:23 pm
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I can give you a insight into my experience of taking a reduced rate in Aus.

I left a job in UK, $100k , pension, healthcare, bonus, nice co car and paid overtime above 40 hours.

I went to a small one ba(n)d family firm, started on $65k, no overtime nothing, i worked around 60-70 hours a week.
I also brought additional revenue to the company of around $272k, never recieved a thank-you and in the end got a payrise to $78k.

In the end i just couldnt work for him anymore and jacked it, the guy was a ripoff merchant, but it was his firm and his eyes he paid me and I delivered as i always do.
My old job was offered back to me, so I went back to my old job,(this was purely because my memories were brilliant and I loved it and still hankered for it considering the way this tosser was treating me.)

BUT my old job isnt what it was, its changed, new people, different contracts, I just dont enjoy it any more, I feel supressed and dont have the forfillement it used to have it. Its not what I want, I still give %110 but all think 110% about getting back.

What I have realised, the job In Aus wasnt that bad, I suffered culture shock, was niave and impatatient, I should have colleced my thoughts and sought other alternatives as it was a start, and I could only have gone up.

I am now in communciation with a few companies back, but its all on my terms, I am not aggressive but have the knowledge and experience of how Aussie industry works and how you can be taken advantage off, also the niavity of moving countries and how you can be put down and simply take a hit as you feel you have to.

Ball is in your court all the time, dont let anyone tell you different and look for other channels and ways of surviving if the first one doesnt suit or fit the bill. Money is no big deal once you get there, settling down is, once that is established you can move on up if you havent already got there straight away.

UPDATE:

Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

yes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to all

what do you do?
that must have a bearing on whether you go or not!

if you qualify for a visa then get your own and do as you please, you might find a better job.
fitting australia's entry criteria is not that straightforward.

good luck with it
Old Jun 9th 2007, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Personaly I wouldn't be happy with that offer. Pay is fine (although I would want the overtime bit etc cleared up). The main thing that would concern me is it says nothing about when they would sponsor you for PR. And you are having to pay out health insurance because they are not sponsoring you for PR straight away.
Personaly I would ask for RSMS after 6 months at the latest.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:36 am
Just Joined

simonfitba is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. I reckon I'll need to get the grey areas (overtime, PR visa at later date) sorted out. Then I'll give it some thought.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. I reckon I'll need to get the grey areas (overtime, PR visa at later date) sorted out. Then I'll give it some thought.
You seem to want others to motivate you for the move? I'd take that as not such a good sign. If it's really what you want then such issues wouldn't matter.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You want to check out the medical insurance bit - I thought on a 457 the company was supposed to maintain it?
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

6 weeks vacation can't be bad.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

nonno is an unknown quantity at this point

personally I wouldnt get out of bed for k50$

try the mines k150$ average

have a nice day
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:41 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Righto, here's the situation.

I've just been offered a job in Cairns for $50k but the problem is it's about HALF of what I'm on in the UK for the same secure job.

They said the'd sponsor me for a 457 visa but the other big downside for me is that I won't be able to buy a house in Oz.

I've been reading these forums (thanks for all the great info) but am really undecided. It seems like a major gamble to move for less money.

Any advice would be appreciated.
if you want an adventure yes, if like money and stability no
stay cool